• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Youth FID Questions

Youth fid laws are confusing just like any other thing in MA that has to deal with guns. I am 15 with an FID. I cant buy ammo because of a federal law that prohibits ammo sales to anyone under 18. Can I also not buy long guns from a FFL? Can I buy long guns from a FTF sale? Can my parents transfer a gun to me? Or do I need to have my parents buy the guns and let me use them. MA laws make no sence I can posses long guns and ammo but I can't buy ammo or long guns I think.

First off, Congrats on your FID at 15 and welcome to NES.

You can posses ammo and some firearms with an FID card. You will have a hard time obtaining a firearm and the safest thing you can do is to borrow a firearm from your parents.

ETA: Edited to delete misleading info.
As with more research I agree with Kevlar as usual!

Last edited:
Only a parent or guardian can furnish non-large capacity long-guns and ammunition to a minor...

MGL 140-129C said:
Nothing in this section shall permit the sale of rifles or shotguns or ammunition therefor to a minor under the age of eighteen...

MGL 140-131E said:
...no rifle or shotgun or ammunition or ammunition feeding device therefor shall be sold to any person less than 18 years of age...

MGL 140-130 said:
Nothing in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E shall be construed to prohibit a parent or guardian ... from furnishing his child or ward, who has attained age fifteen, with a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon or ammunition; provided, however, that said child or ward, being fifteen years of age or older, has been issued a valid firearm identification card ... which is in his possession.

Welcome!

It's the old "posession" thing....it's different from purchase or ownership.

Mom or Dad (appropriately licensed, of course) can get an appropriate gun, and ammo, and you can have it in your custody (e.g. while hunting, or while driving to the range), but it will still be owned by them (131E, above).

MisterHappyJunior has his "own" shotguns, etc. (that he's called "DIBS!" on) , but they won't really (as in his owning them) be his for a few years.

Only a parent or guardian can furnish non-large capacity long-guns and ammunition to a minor...

Originally Posted by MGL 140-130
Nothing in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E shall be construed to prohibit a parent or guardian ... from furnishing his child or ward, who has attained age fifteen, with a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon or ammunition; provided, however, that said child or ward, being fifteen years of age or older, has been issued a valid firearm identification card ... which is in his possession.

Does "furnish" mean "hand to for the duration of the activity", or does it mean "transfer ownership"? If neither, is the minor allowed to transport a rifle without his parents?

At the risk of painting with a broad brush, I'll use a car as an analogy - the driver is not always the owner; but, if properly licensed, and with the owner's permission, a person other than the owner may use it.

So....a 17-year-old with an FID and a Driver's License can transport their parent's gun to the range, or if in posession of a valid hunting license as well, go murder some of g-d's tasty creatures. ( I picked 17, for the Driver's License.) If they are 15, with the FID and hunting license, then an non-FID'd person can drive them, as the gun is in the "posession" of the FID holder....though getting out at the quickee-mart might be problematic in the eyes of some.

Does "furnish" mean "hand to for the duration of the activity", or does it mean "transfer ownership"? If neither, is the minor allowed to transport a rifle without his parents?

I agree with MisterHappy that ownership cannot be transferred to a minor, but a minor can possess and transport absent the parent.

Back
Top Bottom