• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your top three IDPA pistol choices in 9 mm?

Last I heard, there were no 10 round magazines manufactured for the XDm.

There is a company that makes some sort of a plug that can be epoxied in place to permanently limit the capacity to 10 rounds. I know somebody who has them, and has a letter from the MA attorney general's office confirming the legality.

There is a company that makes some sort of a plug that can be epoxied in place to permanently limit the capacity to 10 rounds. I know somebody who has them, and has a letter from the MA attorney general's office confirming the legality.

I'm surprised he actually got a legit answer from the Mass AG instead of them trying to non-answer or ignore him outright.

Can you get a copy and post it? (Redacted of any personal info of course.)

Well it's a done deal. Hit the gun store planning on coming home with either a Glock 17 or a full size M&P9. The Glocks "looked" a little rough and had no provenance and the S&W was fresh in the box with two flimsy feeling magazines The Glock was also $150.00 more than the M&P as well and I already have a Shield that runs great. I will have Mr. Derr do the trigger and possibly sights so there goes any dollar savings.
I did pick up an HK30(?) and I would have spent the money if I had done any research on the weapon but I hadn't. I guess I will put that on my wish list along with the S&W 1911 9mm and a few others including a Glock.
I did burn thru a quick 200 rounds including some Blazer Steel case and not a hiccup. The trigger reset stinks and why do they have that funky tool in the handle. Would have rather used pins to change the backstrap but that's a one and done anyway.
Thanks for your help. Lots of good advise.

??? I have 15 round magazines for the Beretta 92 FS Inox. Well they are not actually pre-ban magazines, I happened to get two new 15 round magazines when I bought the 92. Thank you local gun store. When I'm shooting IDPA and they say load to division capacity I always do ten and one in The Beretta. Is that incorrect for SSP?
Mr. 1911 you are right about the apex trigger. I had Derr put one in the shield and it's a different gun. I think I will change the sites out as well but I'm really uncertain what to go with. Any suggestions?

I'd love to see this letter. This would be the FIRST time ever that the AG made a legal determination about anything gun related in that vein. Usually those requests just go right in the trash and you get a form letter back (or nothing) depending on the request.

-Mike

Last edited:
??? I have 15 round magazines for the Beretta 92 FS Inox. Well they are not actually pre-ban magazines, I happened to get two new 15 round magazines when I bought the 92. Thank you local gun store. When I'm shooting IDPA and they say load to division capacity I always do ten and one in The Beretta. Is that incorrect for SSP?

10+1 is correct for SSP. If you use 15 round magazines, you can put 11 in your first magazine, insert the magazine, chamber the round, decock, holster, and you're ready to go with 10 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

If you use 10 round magazines, you insert a loaded magazine, chamber the round, eject that magazine, insert a full 10 round magazine, decock, holster and you are ready to go with 10 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. If you only have three 10 round magazines, you can insert the first magazine, eject the magazine, decock, holster, top off that magazine with 1 more round, and insert that into the gun. The later method takes longer. I refer to either of these two methods as the Barney Shuffle.

Either method works. If you use pre-ban standard capacity magazines, you need to be careful that the first magazine is the one with 11 rounds in it. I suggest that you use a different color baseplate for that magazine so you don't mix it up with the mags that you have loaded to 10 rounds.

If you use 10-round magazines, you never have to worry about mixing up your mags (because they are all loaded to 10), but you do have to do the Barney Shuffle, as described above.

Back
Top Bottom