• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your top three IDPA pistol choices in 9 mm?

The wife got her new kitchen and now I get the new gun. I'm really just looking for some educated opinions from guys shoot IDPA or any other pistol competition. I have a shield and I like the platform but the gun is too small. I don't even mind the Beretta 92 FS but I really don't like the double action single action all that much.
I was thinking about a Glock 34 but that goal might be difficult to obtain. A used Glock 17 is also on my list but I'm not sure how to accurately judge the condition of a used Glock.
I have to try and get this done quickly or the money will go toward bills and such. I'm willing to pay in full and wait for delivery of something as well. Thanks for letting me pick your guys brains. I should probably just get another M&P and have the trigger and sites done on it but I was thinking of trying another manufacturer and I don't own a Glock but then again I don't own a 45 either.

I got a S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series that is just stupidly accurate, little pricey but has the best trigger and is the most accurate pistol I own. I don't shoot IDPA but would love to try it someday. I use it for informal steel plate shoots at my club.

Normally I'd recommend a Walther PPQ M2, but the trigger pull is far too light and your kids might kill each other with it.

I shoot a Walther P99AS better than a lot of race guns at both IDPA and Steel Challenge.

Are the S&W 1911, M&P Pro MA compliant? What's the capacity of the S&W 1911 in 9mm Andrew? Are you talking the E Series? It's down to the two above or a used Glock 17 and I would like sumpin on a 1911 frame.
Shot a match a couple of weeks ago and some kid had a g34 and I wonder where he came up with that? Probably a long wait for the Pro or the 1911/9mm. A Glock 17 I could get tomorrow.
I really appreciate the help. I should at least research the XDM ???

The S&W 1911/9mm is probably a little steep right now unless I DON'T get an E series. I guess I have to decide on a used Glock or a NIB M&P. it looks like the price would be about the same. Could probably get a M&P range kit for the price of the Glock with one Magazine.

Yes the S&W 1911 and M&P Pro are both MA compliant. The S&W 1911 9mm capacity is 10+1. No it's not the E series .45, here's the S&W link to the model I have. S&W has two 1911 9mm models, one with adjustable sights one with fixed sights. I have the fixed sights model. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57895_757775_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I bought mine back in April on Gunbroker lightly used for $1150 out the door. Definitely a steep price but the finish and trigger on the gun is awesome.

Are the S&W 1911, M&P Pro MA compliant? What's the capacity of the S&W 1911 in 9mm Andrew? Are you talking the E Series? It's down to the two above or a used Glock 17 and I would like sumpin on a 1911 frame.
Shot a match a couple of weeks ago and some kid had a g34 and I wonder where he came up with that? Probably a long wait for the Pro or the 1911/9mm. A Glock 17 I could get tomorrow.
I really appreciate the help. I should at least research the XDM ???

I have a glock 34 and a S&W 1911 pro series in 9mm for USPSA. The more I shoot the pro series 1911 the less I like the glock. I won't sell the glock, but its probably destin to be a limited 10 build once the pro series is done

Normally I'd recommend a Walther PPQ M2, but the trigger pull is far too light and your kids might kill each other with it.

I shoot a Walther P99AS better than a lot of race guns at both IDPA and Steel Challenge.

Am I the only one that finds this an odd comment?

The M&P Pro is NOT on the list. It's not that you can't find one, but you'll have to look harder and pay more.

My bad, I should have checked the list before posting. I thought for sure the Pro was but the C.O.R.E wasn't MA compliant.

It sounds like the Glock 34 in the M&P pro are going to be pretty tough to find in a lgs. I would be willing to pay A premium for the block or the Pro and can't quite afford the S&W 1911/9mm so maybe just a M&P 9mm range kit. Not very exotic but pretty good deal.

Just curious?? How do the grip sizes compare on the Glock 17 versus the Smith and Wesson M&P9? Is the Smith and Wesson grip smaller due to the fact that is only a single stack?

Wait... the new IDPA rulebook allows race guns? I'm in!

Thanks M1. I just figured that my shield with the eight round magazine was a single stack that the full-size would be single stack as well. Is the full-size a true doublestack or is staggered less than some ?
I don't have very big hands so I was wondering if the M&P grip was smaller than a Glock grip? I guess I will have to wrap my hands around them to see.
I do wish I could afford the Smith &Wesson 1911/9mm but what the hell, there are lots of things I can't afford. Thanks a lot guys. Your opinions been helpful and invaluable.

Thanks M1. I just figured that my shield with the eight round magazine was a single stack that the full-size would be single stack as well. Is the full-size a true doublestack or is staggered less than some ?
I don't have very big hands so I was wondering if the M&P grip was smaller than a Glock grip? I guess I will have to wrap my hands around them to see.
I do wish I could afford the Smith &Wesson 1911/9mm but what the hell, there are lots of things I can't afford. Thanks a lot guys. Your opinions been helpful and invaluable.

The M&P comes with 3 removable backstraps (S, M, L) for different grip sizes/widths so I would assume one of them would fit your hands. Personally I have decent size hands and use the Hogue Grips which are awesome.

Thanks M1. I just figured that my shield with the eight round magazine was a single stack that the full-size would be single stack as well.

No, the compact and fullsize are double stack. They do have replaceable backstraps so they do fit people with smaller hands.

I currently am using a 92FS, I relaly like the size of it, and have been on the lookout for something new with a polymer frame.

I've been able to check out the 3rd and 4th Gen G34, G17, M&P standard (wife has one), and an M&P Pro. The Grip angle between the M&Ps and Glocks is pretty different, but nothing that seems odd or abnormal for me. I really like the Gen 4 G34 and the M&P Pro as they are fairly close in overall length to my 92FS Beretta. I've yet to see an M&P Pro for sale here in Mass, but I haven't tried too hard. I see the G34's often enough as long as you don't mind paying a premium. Because I want the larger length of the G34 / M&P Pro I'm stuck playing hide and seek and waiting a few more months to be able to afford the "Mass Tax" associated with them. I haven't been able to fire either one, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the G34 due to the availability of pre-bans and compatibility of prior gen mags. I've fired various G17's as well as my wifes standard sized M&P and like them both, so I figure I wouldn't have a problem with either the M&P Pro or the G34.

Springfield also makes an XDM Competition now that has the longer length/barrel but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet to check out.

Back
Top Bottom