• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Preferred 6.5 Creedmoor Platform

Yes, it allows you to use higher BC bullets and still maintain good velocity in a short action. That extra 100 fps might make a difference depending on the distance you're shooting in keeping the bullet from going subsonic but overall not a major concern.

Kind of exaclty what I was looking for. I need to figure out what my realistic requirements are and forget the ninja shit. Basically everything that someone should take into consideration when talking about a rifle.

I was referencing the Remi 700 being a 24" barrel which would give better velocity results over say an 18" AR-10 barrel. The point was go as long as it is comfortable for you to do so. Just a general reference to longer range shooting and less drop.

For sure, I am going to look into where 6.5cm goes subsonic and figure out where that plays into my needs and build from there. A 24" is most def not where I need to be, but I'm also never going to take a shot over 1k, so why lie to myself?

Kind of exaclty what I was looking for. I need to figure out what my realistic requirements are and forget the ninja shit. Basically everything that someone should take into consideration when talking about a rifle.

For sure, I am going to look into where 6.5cm goes subsonic and figure out where that plays into my needs and build from there. A 24" is most def not where I need to be, but I'm also never going to take a shot over 1k, so why lie to myself?

I've run enough chrony data for my 6.5 CM AR to confirm that it remains supersonic past 1,000 yards- even with the relatively light 123 ELD Hornady projectiles. I run moderate loads averaging 2770 fps at the muzzle and they are still over mach 1.14 at 1,000. SMK 140's loaded for ~2700 fps muzzle are still over mach 1.2 at 1,000. The 123's worked better in my AR, with a velocity ES of only 17 fps which is pretty awesome in a gas gun. Oh, all from the 20" barrel.

I've run enough chrony data for my 6.5 CM AR to confirm that it remains supersonic past 1,000 yards- even with the relatively light 123 ELD Hornady projectiles. I run moderate loads averaging 2770 fps at the muzzle and they are still over mach 1.14 at 1,000. SMK 140's loaded for ~2700 fps muzzle are still over mach 1.2 at 1,000. The 123's worked better in my AR, with a velocity ES of only 17 fps which is pretty awesome in a gas gun. Oh, all from the 20" barrel.

This is good shit, thank you for this data dump. I can live with a 20" barreled upper and it seems like it will be a rig I won't out grow.

This is good shit, thank you for this data dump. I can live with a 20" barreled upper and it seems like it will be a rig I won't out grow.

No problema!

I did some searching and had read comments that the 123 gr Hornady ELD ran well in a gas gun. Perhaps I just randomly hit a sweet spot or maybe there was indeed something to it. The SD was something like only 7 fps, which is very benchrest or PRS worthy. I had tried several loads with the SMK 140's and maybe some Nosler CC's and couldn't get them to settle down like that. Interestingly, I think my best 100 yard groups were with the 140's, but the 123's find long distance targets all by themselves, LOL. My skill level is still a bit of a limit for 800+ yards, but anything below that is a piece of cake with this setup.

Once I wrap up some travel and then some reloading for upcoming matches, I plan to install a 24" Criterion barrel and this brake GAMMA 65 | VG6 Precision . Wish I would have used a brake on my 20", but that barrel is already Massified. I shot a friend's AR with the VG6 Gamma brake and that brake is by far the best I have tried for keeping your eyes on target.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I used a JP free float fore end. It's extremely solid and when properly torqued down I suspect it's as stable as most PRS chassis.

Reading your posts it seems like a gas gun is a no brainer.

Especially if you already have a suitable lower. I completed and registered mine about a week and a half before the Heil Healy BS, so I was extra glad I went that direction. I guess some extra complications are possible with the AR platform vs. the bolt guns, but those are manageable. I'd still like to do a bolt gun someday, but recently decided to spend some saved $ on the new 6.5 barrel and the rest on a top shelf M1 Garand build as I shoot M1 matches almost every month.

Especially if you already have a suitable lower. I completed and registered mine about a week and a half before the Heil Healy BS, so I was extra glad I went that direction. I guess some extra complications are possible with the AR platform vs. the bolt guns, but those are manageable. I'd still like to do a bolt gun someday, but recently decided to spend some saved $ on the new 6.5 barrel and the rest on a top shelf M1 Garand build as I shoot M1 matches almost every month.

I do, I am mid way through a 16" 308 build, more of a heavy carbine then any type of precision gun. I have been sitting on an upper/lower set from AWS when they did their run here a few years back. I opted to grab a second upper from them because I knew I wanted a shorter/lighter 308 carbine and likely a longer heavier scoped upper for stretching it out. You have sold me on 6.5CM for my spare upper, and I am likely going to follow your suggestions on everything save the muzzle device, I want the option to suppress so I have to stick to 51t AAC devices. I will probably go for one of the 30cal 2 chamber brakes.

Back
Top Bottom