• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your opinions - Browning BPS defense model

I am looking for a HD shotgun.
I was going to get an 18 inch barrel for my 12 gauge Benelli Nova, but they want nearly as much for the barrel as I paid for the shotgun $315 (I only paid $369 for the shotgun). So this got me looking and thinking about just getting another Benelli Nova (Nova special purpose).
Then I ran across a unusual model Browning BPS. It is a NIB 20 inch factory extended tube model (7 shot). The shotgun is $385 and I like the thought behind it alot. It has a tang safety (nearly idiot proof), not alot of controls or buttons just the pump activation button to chamber the first round, it's both bottom load & eject. It could be used by a right or left handed person equally well. I like the simplicity of the BPS design (alot like an old model 37 Ithica (SP)). I know it doesn't have the ejection port to the right like an 870 where you can load one directly into the chamber so I'd have to load through the magazine. I'm not going to be doing any "tacticool" reloads, because if 7 rounds of 3 inch 12 gauge doesn't solve the problem I'm screwed.

I'D LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS SHOTGUN FOR THE INTENDED HD ROLE?

smitty

Smitty...Sometimes it takes time to get a response. If you have picked it up - enjoy your shotgun - it will likely serve you well for many years. Browning makes a fine weapon, though it would be my last choice for a true HD shotgun. I guess if you were to keep it 'as is" and just enjoy it, you'll be fine, but the parts stream is less than reliable and accessories simply do not exist in any quantity. I seem to remember Browning discontinuing their HD line due to weak sales - likely for the reasons stated and that inability to load directly into the chamber....Personally, I went for a Benelli SuperNova Tactical...

Be sure to take some pics - will be a nice weapon to see....

BPS is a nice gun i just recently bought one for hunting and clays, but i wouldn't want one for a HD gun when you can get an 870 ready to go for the same price. Northshore Firearms has a 870 HD in digital camo with the extended mag tube for $390 or so.

I got it.

Yes I know the Nova is a cool gun, I own a 12 and a 20 & they are my two main hunting shotguns. My first choice was to buy an 18 inch Nova barrel, but I'd still would have needed an extension tube to hold a couple more shells. Also the Nova has stranger controls (like the button on the forearm for direct chamber loading).
I picked up the BPS defense. I'm not the only one who might ever need to use this shotgun ( my Wifey) so things like: the tang safety, bottom eject, few controls / simple operation were important to me. Only real adavantage I can see the side ejection port on the 870 giving me is to do a partial rack / chamber check. the direct chamber (speed loading ) thing isn't that important to me. The BPS has an empty chamber with 6 three inch magnum OO Buck shot type shells on tap, if that won't stop the fight I'd need a M249 SAW.
smitty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom