Your opinions are needed…..

Steve600

NES Member
I have a relative interested in buying this handgun. I know nothing about them, and it seems to be more of a competitive gun than a carry gun. I think they offer the same gun without the performance center work for a lot less. Anyway, what do you guys think?

23E0C553-C40E-475B-A5FB-98C91881391F.jpeg

CC, range fun, and competition guns have different requirements, first your friend needs to decide which he wants. And sure, you can use one for all three, but there will be a primary use and it will perform better for one over the others. It's a lot harder to CC a large competition gun than a small frame or compact.

I dunno. Given the same size and weight I would say the things one looks for in a good competition gun, reliability, accuracy, controllability and ruggedness, are good to have in a carry gun as well. For my tastes that one is too big to lug around all the time though.

I have a relative interested in buying this handgun. I know nothing about them, and it seems to be more of a competitive gun than a carry gun. I think they offer the same gun without the performance center work for a lot less. Anyway, what do you guys think?
You didn't mention what you wanted to do with the handgun other than buy it.

I dunno. Given the same size and weight I would say the things one looks for in a good competition gun, reliability, accuracy, controllability and ruggedness, are good to have in a carry gun as well. For my tastes that one is too big to lug around all the time though.
But there are other things you don't want on a carry gun ...

Examples:
- lighter springs
- flared magwell
- oversized mag release
- larger target shooting sights (look at those big square target sights waiting to get caught on clothing)
- The comp adding weight and length

Finally, competiton guns get beat up. While this is fine, you don't want the gun to fail the one time you need it the most.

Last edited:
He wants it for carry as well as a target/range type gun.
What type of target shooting?

Informal, practicing at the range?
IDPA?
USPSA?
Steel Challenge?
Other?

If he is going to CCW, this is a terrible choice.

Based on how you are asking, I don't think this person understands what he wants. I suggest doing a lot more reading, watching videos, understanding the different options, then deciding.

Assuming your riend is also in MA, he doesn't need some Karen calling in a "man with a gun". Your friend may be ,legally right, and it may all go well, but being that it's MA you're better off not getting that kind of attention.
Full-size comp guns are a lot harder to keep concealed. From a practical standpoint your CCW should be something easily CCed.

This gun would be a good range toy/comp gun, get something smaller for CC.

But for goodness sake NOT a Shield [laugh]

Yeah, no.

If he wants a carry gun, he should get a gun he's comfortable carrying concealed - and a large framed steel gun isn't it. Sounds like he wants a "one gun for everything", and that means compromise because the parameters for choosing carry are different than target/range.

I carry a G43X. It's concealable, comfortable to carry all day long and nobody sees it.

I primarily use a G34 with a Trijicon SRO as a range gun. It's a great range gun, but lousy for concealed carry.
Then I've got a couple .22's with optics. Great range toys, lousy for carry. As is my 6" GP100 with optic.

If he's going to try to get one gun to do everything, then he should probably focus on the carry requirements. Then he can buy a range gun when he realizes that the carry gun isn't optimal for range toy.

The M&P is fine after you fix the mass trigger. I would NOT carry a comp gun. This is just silly. Like tits on a bull silly.

Your friend should consider taking that $1k and buying 2 guns. One for carry and one for target shooting.

Full size guns are easier to learn on. The metal frame shield is like 40 oz unloaded. That's way too heavy to carry all day.

Lots of people like to hate on the M&P but I think it's ok. Not great, not bad. Just ok.

A better compromise gun IMO is the Glock 19. That will do everything pretty well.

A trainer at a former gym is from Brazil and asked once why do people need more than one or a few guns? I replied why do you have more than one pair of shoes?

He needs to figure out what he wants/needs and go from there. Encourage him to keep researching and if possible go to a range and actually try various guns.

Go with a lighter and smaller gun. Your carry gun should be comfortable and easy to carry. If he only wants one gun to start get a carry gun and practice, practice, practice.

Tell him to get something that’s at least nice looking. Shallow, I know……

now this is a nice looking gun
1674002705132.png
mine arrives tomorrow [smile]

I suggest doing a lot more reading, watching videos, understanding the different options, then deciding.
Helps to buy four or six or ten different handguns to just try them out for awhile. Also holsters--a variety of holsters.

It’s a timeless piece of functional art

7C6048F2-1EC1-4914-A8C1-B5E1B904EDC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom