• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

Nice. The emdom pouch for it showed up today. You can fit another couple of bits in it if you use a strip for them instead of the supplied bit holder.

It is chunky. Not a pocket tool, and a pouch helps keep the bits with the tool. Not sure the emdom option is the best bet though, since at this point I think I'm $200+ in on this thing.

1673293794031.png 1673293812391.png

I keep a cheap small screwdriver set in my range bag. It does the trick so far for grips and and scopes. Is that multi-tool really worth adding to a range bag? I guess my point is in my range bag room isn't as much of a concern as on person carry where a multi-tool might shine.

I keep a cheap small screwdriver set in my range bag. It does the trick so far for grips and and scopes. Is that multi-tool really worth adding to a range bag? I guess my point is in my range bag room isn't as much of a concern as on person carry where a multi-tool might shine.
This is my thinking, too.

It's a beautifully made tool, obviously, but those of us without ARs are probably better off with something cheaper. And even those WITH ARs probably already have castle nut wrenches, for example.

Just got my mini bugout

Love this little knife.

And without a doubt, anyone looking for a new knife should reach out to @The Edge Lab
John replied immediately to my messages and his price was much better than any current online prices. Talk about a win win win. Fast, Cheap and High Quality.

He'll be my first stop for any upcoming purchases.

minibugout.JPG

Tried getting a vintage Western Bird and Trout knife but returned it. The fleabay seller misrepresented it as original mint but it had been heavily restored. Decided to get a new Beretta Bird and Trout that is made by Arno Bernard in South Africa. I figure white South Africans are facing a lot of persecution and deserve my support. This is the perfect size and shape for me to rapidly dress out and/or debone pheasants, grouse, and quail.

1673389262367.png

Blade is Bohler N690 which is akin to a stainless D2. Everything including the sheath is top shelf quality. The handle is ivory from warthog tusk. Hakuna matata!

1673389216277.png

Last edited:
Tried getting a vintage Western Bird and Trout knife but returned it. The fleabay seller misrepresented it as original mint but it had been heavily restored. Decided to get a new Beretta Bird and Trout that is made by Arno Bernard in South Africa. I figure white South Africans are facing a lot of persecution and deserve my support. This is the perfect size and shape for me to rapidly dress out and/or debone pheasants, grouse, and quail.

View attachment 707835

Blade is Bohler N690 which is akin to a stainless D2. Everything including the sheath is top shelf quality. The handle is ivory from warthog tusk. Hakuna matata!

View attachment 707834
That is beautiful, I feel like i'd need a better way to secure it in the sheath at that price point though

That is beautiful, I feel like i'd need a better way to secure it in the sheath at that price point though
I thought the same thing but upon getting my hands on it, it's not going to come out of that sheath unless given a solid pull. I have other EDC's that are mostly folders which will be what I carry for misc needs but the folders are a pain to clean after dressing game. This is all about being a bird scalpel to quickly get all the meat off and packaged for the freezer or fridge. I suppose I'll try it on fish sometime soon as well.

I thought the same thing but upon getting my hands on it, it's not going to come out of that sheath unless given a solid pull. I have other EDC's that are mostly folders which will be what I carry for misc needs but the folders are a pain to clean after dressing game. This is all about being a bird scalpel to quickly get all the meat off and packaged for the freezer or fridge. I suppose I'll try it on fish sometime soon as well.
You're 100% correct on the cleanability. Ive always considered getting a regular fixed knife for hunting and fishing but a folder is so convenient short of keeping them clean

Link?
I want another one of those.
@bigblue

Currently on order but it should be here by Saturday. Heres the link below. Ill send you a code by PM for a 13% discount...and of course if you wanna stop by the shop on Sunday your welcome too.

To find The Edge Lab-

• From the south take 495 N to exit 80,MA-119 E/Great Rd in Littleton. At the lights at the end of the exit ramp, enter the parking lot across the street. You can park in that parking lot. Go up the stairs of the large building adjacent to the parking lot. Follow the signs to The Edge Lab.
  • From the north take 495 S to exit 80,MA-119 E/Great Rd in Littleton. Go right off the ramp onto MA-119 E/Great Rd. Go through the next set of lights and then take a quick right turn into the parking lot. You can park in that parking lot. Go up the stairs of the large building adjacent to the parking lot. Follow the signs to The Edge Lab.

@bigblue

Currently on order but it should be here by Saturday. Heres the link below. Ill send you a code by PM for a 13% discount...and of course if you wanna stop by the shop on Sunday your welcome too.

To find The Edge Lab-

• From the south take 495 N to exit 80,MA-119 E/Great Rd in Littleton. At the lights at the end of the exit ramp, enter the parking lot across the street. You can park in that parking lot. Go up the stairs of the large building adjacent to the parking lot. Follow the signs to The Edge Lab.
  • From the north take 495 S to exit 80,MA-119 E/Great Rd in Littleton. Go right off the ramp onto MA-119 E/Great Rd. Go through the next set of lights and then take a quick right turn into the parking lot. You can park in that parking lot. Go up the stairs of the large building adjacent to the parking lot. Follow the signs to The Edge Lab.

I’m in FL now, thanks for the link; I will take a look.

View attachment 707835

View attachment 707834
I don’t collect knives - I put them to use !
How’s the blade retention on it ?
This is my preferred blade cut.

Maybe make up and attach a shock cord loop to that hole in the the handle to help pull it out

Last edited:
A gift from a couple of my Canadian friends for getting four club seats to the Pats vs Dolphins.
I had never heard of the company, but pretty cool.

R380S.jpg

I don’t collect knives - I put them to use !
How’s the blade retention on it ?
This is my preferred blade cut.

I'll put it to use in a week or two after hunting for chukar partridge. Nice edge on that thing- easily slices through paper in the classic paper cut test. The N630 alloy should be relatively close to S30V in performance. I like D2 tool steel for its intended purposes and even for knives, but cleaning birds is a messy business and it's good to have a stainless blade so the N630 is supposed to be a stainless version of that.

Maybe make up and attach a shock cord loop to that hole-in-the-wall the handle to help pull it out

That's what I was thinking. Small project for a rainy day.

A gift from a couple of my Canadian friends for getting four club seats to the Pats vs Dolphins.

R380S.jpg
They make some excellent hunting knives. Good stuff and a very nice gift!

I'll put it to use in a week or two after hunting for chukar partridge. Nice edge on that thing- easily slices through paper in the classic paper cut test. The N630 alloy should be relatively close to S30V in performance. I like D2 tool steel for its intended purposes and even for knives, but cleaning birds is a messy business and it's good to have a stainless blade so the N630 is supposed to be a stainless version of that.

That's what I was thinking. Small project for a rainy day.

They make some excellent hunting knives. Good stuff and a very nice gift!
Where are you hunting chukar and partridge? I ask because I have never hunted upland birds and am very interested in it. Supposed to be very good here in Montana.

Where are you hunting chukar and partridge? I ask because I have never hunted upland birds and am very interested in it. Supposed to be very good here in Montana.
Only option in NE is to hunt stocked chukar. They are unpredictable and fun. Tasty too. There are some reasonably priced options for private preserve hunting.

Next fall I'll be in Maine for over a week to hunt wild grouse and woodcock.

Wild chukar can be quite the challenge but you are in good shape so that's a plus.

R380S.jpg

Nice. I have the GR1 and love it. It is my go to knife for dressing deer. It stays sharp and while the handle looks funky it feels great in the hand.

92AE58E5-3E90-428A-8C8B-27C08A496209.jpeg

Only option in NE is to hunt stocked chukar. They are unpredictable and fun. Tasty too. There are some reasonably priced options for private preserve hunting.

Next fall I'll be in Maine for over a week to hunt wild grouse and woodcock.

Wild chukar can be quite the challenge but you are in good shape so that's a plus.

Do use a dog? I know out here you are doing a bunch of up to find them.

Back
Top Bottom