Your New Knife!

Got a nice gift today from a client!View attachment 603171
Nice knife. When I saw it, I thought it looked familiar, and then I realized it is the same model favored by the LockPickingLawyer on youtube.

I am really surprised that I recognized it, but it came to me almost immediately.

Is there some connection where sharp thinking lawyers favor this model, or is it just coincidence?

Nice knife. When I saw it, I thought it looked familiar, and then I realized it is the same model favored by the LockPickingLawyer on youtube.

I am really surprised that I recognized it, but it came to me almost immediately.

Is there some connection where sharp thinking lawyers favor this model, or is it just coincidence?
Coincidence but is a nice knife. I would look into getting another pocket size one.

View attachment 605021
So I’ve been eyeing this guy for a few years. Style is a little dated now but it dropped to a price point that made me have to buy it.

I blame e-commerce!

Anyway, it’s a great knife with great action and well built.
That’s a great looking knife, I just won’t do liner locks anymore for EDC. IMO they are not safe for use. I think it was a BM or a CRKT liner lock I had and it closed up 3 x on me while using it, the 3rd time it cut deep into my finger. Like probably should’ve gotten a few stitches and lucky it didn’t cut thru a tendon deep. That was it. I was so pissed I threw it away.

I feel the same way about back locks for similar reasons. Never had a liner lock fail on me but everything is susceptible to wear.

That’s a great looking knife, I just won’t do liner locks anymore for EDC. IMO they are not safe for use. I think it was a BM or a CRKT liner lock I had and it closed up 3 x on me while using it, the 3rd time it cut deep into my finger. Like probably should’ve gotten a few stitches and lucky it didn’t cut thru a tendon deep. That was it. I was so pissed I threw it away.
Ouch!
I can’t blame you for swearing off them.
Been lucky enough to never have that issue and get bit by the knife.

Had a couple knives over the years that I could force closed when “locked” but they were not liner locks.

Biggest issue I’ve had with some liner locks is lock stick and it’s a pita to disengage it.

I try to keep an eye on lock up on all my folders especially the ones that takes more abuse.

Ouch!
I can’t blame you for swearing off them.
Been lucky enough to never have that issue and get bit by the knife.

Had a couple knives over the years that I could force closed when “locked” but they were not liner locks.

Biggest issue I’ve had with some liner locks is lock stick and it’s a pita to disengage it.

I try to keep an eye on lock up on all my folders especially the ones that takes more abuse.
Ya I’m sure I was using it a lot harder than is recommended and I wasn’t paying attention to the knife, just what I was trying to work on in an engine compartment. So probably 50/50 fault here between me and the knife, I admit it wasn’t made for what I was making it do. But, the knife you’re carrying is the knife you use, so I cursed it and threw it away. lol

Way back when I was looking for my first knife I read all these horror stories of linerlocks failing. So I bought a CRKT Crawford Kasper folder with their LAWKS safety. It's basically a little safety tab that blocks the liner from disengaging. Their newer models have an automatic LAWKS so it's always on when the knife is open. Mine is a manual safety. I can choose to use it or not.

Bundeswehr issue pocket knife mfg by Victorinox. Issued/Used. Got it today, was dirty and had some not great sharpening, but cleaned it up thoroughly, reprofiled the edge and did a little polishing. Ready to go back to work.

German Pocket Knife 1.jpg

German Pocket Knife 2.jpg

The original German Army with it's big brother the Ranger (BTW, the Taco mag holder is perfect for the Ranger knife)

German and Ranger Knife.jpg

Last edited:
How is everyone liking the flipper types? I got that CIVIVI and it's nice but talk about awkward to open.
I love the flippers. 100% easier and faster for me to flip it open with an index finger than it is trying to use that little thumb knob.

I love the flippers. 100% easier and faster for me to flip it open with an index finger than it is trying to use that little thumb knob.
But what kind of grip do you have on it? It may be "fast" but I can't get a good grip while opening and it certainly doesn't end with a firm grip either.

But what kind of grip do you have on it? It may be "fast" but I can't get a good grip while opening and it certainly doesn't end with a firm grip either.
I don’t know how to describe my grip in words on here but I’ll give it a shot, if it confuses you even more just tell me to GTFO lol ;

While holding the knife in a regular forward grip (of course leaving the open space for the blade to come out) my index finger moves to make contact with the flipper lever, then pulls the lever back or downward to initiate the opening process, the blade really should snap right out and lock once flipped and then the index finger naturally returns to a full grip position with the rest of the fingers. It should feel natural and without much thinking about it at all.

I don’t know how to describe my grip in words on here but I’ll give it a shot, if it confuses you even more just tell me to GTFO lol ;

While holding the knife in a regular forward grip (of course leaving the open space for the blade to come out) my index finger moves to make contact with the flipper lever, then pulls the lever back or downward to initiate the opening process, the blade really should snap right out and lock once flipped and then the index finger naturally returns to a full grip position with the rest of the fingers. It should feel natural and without much thinking about it at all.
Hm maybe it's the placement of the flipper and the narrowness of my CIVIVI that's making it weird. I have to hold it almost like a scalpel from the back and then the flipper is more on the top.

Hm maybe it's the placement of the flipper and the narrowness of my CIVIVI that's making it weird. I have to hold it almost like a scalpel from the back and then the flipper is more on the top.
I’m not familiar with the CIVIVI so it’s possible that the two knives we’re describing are just that different. My first flip knife was a CRKT M16 Tanto which is a fairly big folding knife, I think it was 10.5” OAL, always offered a good grip, so that may be the difference right there in the handle slab sizes. That knife deployed as fast as any OTF auto I’ve had once you got the hang of it.

@Soundwave this is what I was trying to describe, but shown here on a smaller knife.

D779DAFB-DB25-4CD7-97A9-31988A4175FC.gif

My other large size flipper is a ZT, so again larger handle slabs = better grip 67F78E09-1EA1-4B1A-B115-5631032DA125.gif

Ive only ever seen them on the opposite side of the blade like this. Maybe it’s some new age hippie bs?
51BE1B87-5888-41B9-9171-7506496BAAFA.jpeg
Send it here I’ll throw it away for you. lol

Ive only ever seen them on the opposite side of the blade like this. Maybe it’s some new age hippie bs?
View attachment 614992
Send it here I’ll throw it away for you. lol
That is called a front flipper. There are a few knives being made with this type of design. I am not a fan, but some people like them. The advantage is that you can have a much sleeker profile, as shown in the knife above. It also avoids having the flipper sticking out the back, which some people find tears up their pocket or the other items in it.

Despite these supposed advantages, I am not convinced. A well designed flipper on the back can be very natural and support a firm grip. The front flipper not so much, at least for my hands.

Back
Top Bottom