Your New Knife!

I like it. Axis lock, nice and flat, nice deep clip... What does that scale material feel like? I was interested so I looked it up - carbon fibre reinforced nylon sounds like a good combination for weight, strength and texture.

Scale material feels really good. The nylon itself feels a little less plastic and more CF-like than the FRN on my Spydercos. The texture on the scales manages to feel grippy without having any bite. The scales rest on top of skeletonized steel liners, which ads to the bulletproof feeling, while still carrying super lightweight.

Also, your knife looks so much better in the 'satin' finish over the black finish...
Agreed. I’m not nearly enough of an operator for the full blacked out one, and the blades I’ve had with DLC coatings show use marks easier IMO. The kid did good.

Agreed. I’m not nearly enough of an operator for the full blacked out one, and the blades I’ve had with DLC coatings show use marks easier IMO. The kid did good.
I do like a black DLC when it contrasts against certain scale colors and embellishments, but I do agree about showing wear. It 'uglys' the blade up quick...

I do like a black DLC when it contrasts against certain scale colors and embellishments, but I do agree about showing wear. It 'uglys' the blade up quick...
I totally know what you mean. I have the full blacked out Spyderco PM3 LW, and I’m quite fond of it. The whole thing just feels and looks sleek, with a crazy fidget factor. But I never carry it when I expect to actually cut something more than an apple or a stray string cuz I want to keep it looking mint. For knives I actually use, I prefer a nice satin finish which hides a multitude of sins.

I did quite a bit of 'shuckin' in my high school days as a line cook at a hotel in Chelmsford. Oysters, Cherrystones, Mahogany's and Muscles.

Wish I had that knife...! Very nice!

Just got this in today. Made by a guy in Prague Czech Republic. Gollik Knives. This is my third one from him. He makes a stout knife. Uses mostly Sleipner and Elmax. This one is Elmax. He calls it “Food and Prep knife”. Very nice.

Attachments

• C8901162-C240-46FB-9035-D4835EFFFB2D.jpeg
    C8901162-C240-46FB-9035-D4835EFFFB2D.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 509FF7A0-7FF4-4218-B427-78117AB7A8B7.jpeg
    509FF7A0-7FF4-4218-B427-78117AB7A8B7.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 4A7C0F4D-AA0F-4975-8B05-37A0A9257E8F.jpeg
    4A7C0F4D-AA0F-4975-8B05-37A0A9257E8F.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 11
THE NEW SMOKEY MOUNTAIN CATALOG IS HERE!!!! THE NEW SMOKEY MOUNTAIN CATALOG IS HERE!!!
It arrived in the mail today. Had a few nice Buck 110’s, one with nickel silver bolsters and liners.

It’s definitely a beast. This guy makes awesome knives. He has a Facebook page where he shows all the different knives he makes. Gollik Knives
I’ll check it out. Thanks.
He definitely makes a nice knife alright. I really like his Tanto...*edited to add this is not mine* I wish it was though.
56F233A0-1905-4DAD-856A-6A238C783630.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a pretty mouth-watering website.

If you don't mind, @fishhawk357, what's his approximate pricing range?
Hmmmm, I know I paid 240 delivered for this one. I have seen anywhere from 130 on up to approximately 270ish. Never seen anything higher then 275. He has a lot of different styles and sizes. I have a beast of a knife in sleipner that is 0.25 thick! That is if I’m not mistaken. It was only 180. I’ll post some pics of the other 2 I got from him.

Hmmmm, I know I paid 240 delivered for this one. I have seen anywhere from 130 on up to approximately 270ish. Never seen anything higher then 275. He has a lot of different styles and sizes. I have a beast of a knife in sleipner that is 0.25 thick! That is if I’m not mistaken. It was only 180. I’ll post some pics of the other 2 I got from him.

Awesome!

Definitely something to keep in mind.

I also received a new Benchmade Bugout today and it is so light.
Then new scale pattern also makes it grippier and looks better than the original 'checkering' that looked a lot like the Buck 110 Light Weight's...
The new BladeHQ Exclusive pattern is almost like 'fish scales' on its scales. [smile]

My bugout is still one of my all time favorites. I love how light and small it carries. I did put a set of aftermarket g10 scales on mine because the stock scales felt just a little too flimsy. That new one with 20CV and g10 scales by default is a beut. Congrats!

Thanks, @jamison55

These scales appear to be stiffer also. In a couple of youtube vids the author shows the original scales being pressed inwards so much as to get both sides to touch. These new scales barely flex inwards.
~Enbloc

Thanks, @jamison55

These scales appear to be stiffer also. In a couple of youtube vids the author shows the original scales being pressed inwards so much as to get both sides to touch. These new scales barely flex inwards.
~Enbloc
That's my experience as well. Worth the insignificant added weight IMO.

Just completed this one this weekend. Have wanted a Para 2 forever, but I knew I'd want to dress it up, and with even solid used ones going for $120, I always passed. Enter the online factory seconds sale. I snagged a perfect one for $53. At that price I was able to add a set of micarta scales from Ripps Garage, and a MXG deep carry clip for less than the cost of a new stock PM2. A little bigger than I normally carry, but I like it.

20201229_092615.jpg

Another day another knife...I've been busy this past couple weeks. This one is a TRM Atom. Made right here in MA. Been wanting to get my hands on one for a while, and this thing is a thin, slicey, lightsaber. I can see why people love them, but for $200+ it's not the right knife for me. So this one is my new knife for today, and tomorrow (or whenever the post office finally gets it there) it will be someone else's new knife :D.

20201229_145827.jpg

CF scales will change the knife dramatically, but they arent cheap, especially when you’ve already decided to move on.
Yeah, I know. I wanted to get my hands on it and see if if it fit me before investing in upgraded scales. I’d been carrying the PM2 all day, and it was there for direct comparison (and to open the package this one came in, lol). It was actually a good comparison, since they both have roughly the same blade and handle size. To me, the TRM felt flimsy compared to the PM2, and the action wasn’t as good. I was already $220 into a used knife, and to put a set of $80 scales on it put me closer to sebenza territory than CRKT, and for that money I’d better really love the knife.

I sold my ZT 0470 a couple of weeks ago for the same reason (not because felt flimsy, but because I didn’t love it enough to keep that much money tied up in it). In fact, that money went into this knife. And this money is already in a Spideychef. I’m sure I’ll be posting my thoughts on that one when it arrives, but so far no knife that I’ve spent more than $150 on has made it into my permanent collection.

Back
Top Bottom