Your New Knife!

So what’s the deal with custom folders? Do they tend to be rock solid on the order of something like a sebenza or do you ever run the risk of getting something with blade centering issues, play, or other issues? I guess I’m just wondering if the attention that comes with it being custom made more or less ensures that they’re going to be very tight and well tuned.
I’ve never owned a custom folder, Blade Forums is an encyclopedia of information, it’s borderline a cultist society with the guys over there lol. But you will find more information than you will probably ever need over in that neck of the woods.

I’ve never owned a custom folder, Blade Forums is an encyclopedia of information, it’s borderline a cultist society with the guys over there lol. But you will find more information than you will probably ever need over in that neck of the woods.
I’ve been a member over there for years. I don’t go there much if any anymore. Good info as they are the #1 knife forum.

Stick tang knives are more problematic (to make at least) than full tang knives. With stick tang, unless the transition is PERFECT, there are stress points that can become failure points. While this is true of full tang as well, the chances of having these spots in a full tang are greatly reduced. While I'm sure KaBar has things in place to ensure they do things correctly, it only takes a single slip-up to create the issue.

I go with full tang [fixed] blades whenever possible. Either to buy or make.

I've always been more of a fixed fan than a folder fan. So I think if I'm going to spend the money on custom, in my mind I sort of think a folder isn't worth it?

I've got all my folder needs covered and then some, with some really good blades.

My knives get used. So buying a custom, be it a folder or fixed blade is more for collectible reasons than EDC or using in my opinion, there are so many quality options out there I will always stick with production pieces over custom since I thoroughly like to use them. Sort of the same thought process and reason why I never bought a poly tech when I was all in on the AK’s years ago, guns and knives need to be used.

So what’s the deal with custom folders? Do they tend to be rock solid on the order of something like a sebenza or do you ever run the risk of getting something with blade centering issues, play, or other issues? I guess I’m just wondering if the attention that comes with it being custom made more or less ensures that they’re going to be very tight and well tuned.

Art pieces. Look amazing, incredible talent and craftsmanship. But the focus is on form and not function. The designer won't let it leave the factory if it doesn't work or look good, but that doesn't ensure a long lasting or quality design.

The sebenza still takes the cake for best folder IMO. It's by far my most carried and used knife. It gets replaced with a griptilian for weekend yard work, but otherwise its in my pocket every day. I Love the fact that I can send it (and my BM's) back to the factory for a full tune up. Do it every year.

I must admit, I know nothing about karambit knives. What is their general-use? Slashing?

@enbloc, the documents i got with the knife said it's not meant to be your first line of defense. it was designed for law enforcement in the event their gun was dropped or rendered inoperable somehow and couldn't get to a back up firearm. it could be a primary form of defense but the attacker would have to be on top of you to use and that close is too close. maybe someone with more experience can jump in.

It all depends on the maker. Sometimes just because it was expensive doesn't mean its good. I have had hundreds of customs over the years and tried many makers out.

@enbloc, the documents i got with the knife said it's not meant to be your first line of defense. it was designed for law enforcement in the event their gun was dropped or rendered inoperable somehow and couldn't get to a back up firearm. it could be a primary form of defense but the attacker would have to be on top of you to use and that close is too close. maybe someone with more experience can jump in.
My experience is limited but your pretty spot on with this. A karambit is like the jiu jitsu of knives, they're most useful up close . If you know what your doing then closing the distance on some one is much better than going toe to toe, you have more options. You'll have better odds of controlling them and lower odds of getting your clock cleaned.

Kershaw Secret Agent showed up today.
First fixed blade, not my first Kershaw by any means.
It’s a false dagger, it’s only sharp on one edge. But I still wouldn’t want to be on the other side. One of these days I should get an EESE for a little more “practical” carry fixed blade and leave this for my kit or something.
BE278034-C4B3-4D7A-886E-E8D00E904B99.jpeg37198328-8BD9-4291-9904-8E48C6F454F3.jpeg

I’ve been buying Buck knives like a drunken sailor the past month. Mostly minty used 110’s and 112’s from the 70’s and early 80’s but I have bought some new ones too. I will have to take a family picture once I get them all (some are still on the way to me). I have a thing for Buck folders from those years. I think it’s the Buck 440c steel I like...dunno why.

Here’s one like the Buck 103 Skinner that showed up yesterday...not the actual one I got but identical.
1606602450622.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom