Your New Knife!

Got this a few months ago;
Randall No.1 8"
View attachment 332613

thats-not-a-knife-gif-1.gif

That’s a beauty.

Bob

Where to buy??
A friend of mine found this and the Krein on one of his knife forums, and gave me a heads up. Both were previously owned but never used. Joe Watson is definitely a sleeper in the custom knife market!! If I see another I will give you a heads up.
Be Well!

Some very nice knives and sheaths there guys! [cheers]

MilMak for the Schwing!

Recommendations for a new sheath/sheath maker?

I’m not thrilled at all with the sheath that came with my Skallywag.

The tension is very tight, you really have to pull hard to get this thing out and when you do it’s noisy AF with the scraping noise of the kydex and blade.

I’d like something nice and quiet and am thinking leather or nylon depending on quality.

Also the clip attachment, think it’s teclok (sp?) is a giant POS. Doesn’t fit on even my regular pants belt never mind a larger sized or padded gun belt.

Any local custom knife / sheath makers you recommend and if not who else in the business is the place to go?

Thanks in advance.

52AAB903-6BAB-490E-A4B5-A9BF82C06F09.png

i'll throw it out there...a shoe repair cobbler guy. an old school cobbler if you can find one. i had one make a leather holster for a hard to fit gun in the past. he took measurements and made what i was looking for. of course he only worked in leather so it narrows down the choices. so yeah, as a last resort.....you know.

Kershaw leek. A buddy's MIL is a nurse at Brockton Hospital, she found it on the floor of an ER room. She gave it to him, he gave it to me! Sent it to Kershaw, they gave me a new blade under View attachment 332708warranty!
I'm a huge fan of this knife. Super sharp, love the profile of the thin blade, and it holds an edge well. It is also lightweight and affordable. I usually carry this one when running.

My only beef with it is that it isn't the fastest to open. I can't get a good purchase on the thumb stud so I use the assist on the spine with my index finger - which is slow. It might just be me though.

View attachment 303995 Not a
knife, but new to me; another for the collection!
just imported this Japanese Naginata naoshi from i believe the Nanbokucho period (1334-1393)
Re-purposed, cut down pole arm, now in wakizashi form
Not the best picture at all!!
Not in the best shape, but not bad for over 600 years old
21.7 inch cutting edge

Somehow I missed that last year. Have any pics of the tang? Also if you have not done so already, you can slowly clean the blade with a cloth and some uchiko powder. That's the traditional final polish powder and won't negatively affect the value of the blade.

i can find a pic of the tang or take a new one,
the tang/nakago is nothing remarkable, no signature/mei, single pin hole/ana,
the shortening looks poorly done, poorly filed/finished after? i will try and post a pic later. i do regularly oil the cutting edge length/ nagasa w/ choji and carefully clean w/uchiko powder ; most active rust has stopped. left with a little black rust.
Somehow I missed that last year. Have any pics of the tang? Also if you have not done so already, you can slowly clean the blade with a cloth and some uchiko powder. That's the traditional final polish powder and won't negatively affect the value of the blade.

i can find a pic of the tang or take a new one,
the tang/nakago is nothing remarkable, no signature/mei, single pin hole/ana,
the shortening looks poorly done, poorly filed/finished after? i will try and post a pic later. i do regularly oil the cutting edge length/ nagasa w/ choji and carefully clean w/uchiko powder ; most active rust has stopped. left with a little black rust.

Nice! Still has its boshi? Regardless, very cool to have a naginata. What school / smith do you think?

I need to post pics sometime of Gramps' bring back katana. He fought the Japanese in the Philippines as a Ssgt. in the Red Arrow Brigade until the surrender and ended up in Japan along with MacArthur (and a host of others). He was stationed in Fukuoka to keep order during the occupation, but he said all he really had to do was keep GI's from raising too much hell. Made friends with the chief of police and was given a dress sword. Gramps said he traded a pack of smokes to a GI for the katana, which was in a once decent saya that had been fitted with gunto hardware. One of Gramps' classic understatements was, "The hardware is WWII junk but I think the blade's pretty old. It has a nice signature under the handle." Ended up being a 1st gen Bizen Sukesada Muromachi period wartime sword with all the classic features and proper mei. Likely made 1504-1507 or thereabouts.

How are you guys all sharpening your pocketknives?

Lansky sharpener. Usually I just use a fine diamond stone. Makes a factory quality edge and I can then hone it to a mirror surface with a super-fine ceramic stone, if I want. The guides keep the stone at a constant angle and prevents any marring of the blade surface.

Yes! It actually has a decent boshi with the typical “no turnback”/yakizume of a repurposed polearm. I am no expert, but the research i have done, i have found similar examples in the Bizen Kozori lineage from that period.

Nice! Still has its boshi? Regardless, very cool to have a naginata. What school / smith do you think?

I need to post pics sometime of Gramps' bring back katana. He fought the Japanese in the Philippines as a Ssgt. in the Red Arrow Brigade until the surrender and ended up in Japan along with MacArthur (and a host of others). He was stationed in Fukuoka to keep order during the occupation, but he said all he really had to do was keep GI's from raising too much hell. Made friends with the chief of police and was given a dress sword. Gramps said he traded a pack of smokes to a GI for the katana, which was in a once decent saya that had been fitted with gunto hardware. One of Gramps' classic understatements was, "The hardware is WWII junk but I think the blade's pretty old. It has a nice signature under the handle." Ended up being a 1st gen Bizen Sukesada Muromachi period wartime sword with all the classic features and proper mei. Likely made 1504-1507 or thereabouts.

Mountain, Here is a similar blade by that smith, what do you think? Similar? Well, my picture doesnt show the detail that well on mine, but, boshi, hamon shape and steel color look close when in hand.
also i couldnt find my pic of the tang, i will disassemble it and take another and post it this weekend!

E1576421-0773-47E0-8642-BDB73D5F65F0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom