• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

Just arrived within the last 30 minutes...

Kershaw Launch 13
PXL_20201115_173553478.jpg PXL_20201115_173605315.jpg

Ordered from Knives Ship Free with a 15% off discount. Even with FedEx shipping (NOT free) since they get to pick shipping carrier when free and USPS SUCKS BALLS IME, it still came out to less than I saw on BladeHQ (who doesn't have them in stock at present).

This puts me at four Launch knives. :D

I’ve never owned one but I’m under the impression that they are not full tang? A fixed blade for me has to be full tang or it will not find its way into my hands.
The tang does extend through the handle into the buttcap. Just as strong in my opinion. Some knives only go part way into the handle and pinned. These are weaker. I’m not sure why they would consider a Kabar to be not a full tang. In my opinion they are.

The tang does extend through the handle into the buttcap. Just as strong in my opinion. Some knives only go part way into the handle and pinned. These are weaker. I’m not sure why they would consider a Kabar to be not a full tang. In my opinion they are.
Ok good to know, I swear I saw a YouTube video years ago showing the tang only going halfway through the handle.

Ok good to know, I swear I saw a YouTube video years ago showing the tang only going halfway through the handle.
I guess they call them narrow tang. Some people say they aren’t as good or as strong as a full tang. It would take a good amount of abuse to break it. At that point why not just use an axe?

So what’s the deal with custom folders? Do they tend to be rock solid on the order of something like a sebenza or do you ever run the risk of getting something with blade centering issues, play, or other issues? I guess I’m just wondering if the attention that comes with it being custom made more or less ensures that they’re going to be very tight and well tuned.

I guess they call them narrow tang. Some people say they aren’t as good or as strong as a full tang. It would take a good amount of abuse to break it. At that point why not just use an axe?
Agreed, I actually thought of that exact same thing when I saw the video, it was typical hard use splitting wood by smashing the back of the blade through the wood. I don’t typically use that as a gauge for knife being worth it’s salt or not but we can never say full tang is not a priority on a fixed blade I don’t think

Yeah, Ka-Bars have the narrow tang. You can see it fitting into the buttcap. It isn't "full tang" from the standpoint of the tang filling the entire hand.

I've been using mine hard since 1995 and it's done everything I've asked it to do.

That’s usually the case. Perfect open/close blade centered, exotic materials, and authorship. Nice if you can afford them. I started collecting customs when I first started collecting knives. I only bought 3 or 4 before realizing they were too much money. If you really needed a specific knife for a tool than I supposed the extra money is justified. Maybe just a self defense piece also. Most are beautiful and well made. Like anything else there’s lousy makers out there too.

Back
Top Bottom