Your New Knife!

I should've sharpened my knives this year before I started cooking. That was less than pleasant--and most of my friends/family wouldn't think my knives were dull.
One of my annual chores every Thanksgiving is to bring my stone and sharpen my MIL’s knives.

I was at my son's place last Christmas and he wanted me to carve up a roast but all his knives were as dull as a Lifetime movie. I knew about the coffee cup method but I had never tried it until then. It worked like a champ!
I flipped over one of his mugs and the ceramic on the bottom rim was unglazed and about as rough as maybe 120 grit sandpaper. A little water on there and about 50 swipes per side and the knife was sharp enough to cleanly slice paper. I finished it by stropping it on my belt a few times and it was sharp enough to shave hair off my arm.
Not a bad sharpening method in a pinch.

This IS NOT a knife... [rofl]

640px-ElectricCarvingKnife.JPG

It's a meat processing machine...

have you tried opening a bottle with the nose of the belt-cutter...?

0a0771e325db8d96ce409f518962c87b.jpg

And this one that looks like an auto pocket knife is a fairly new flashlight to me, a ‘Streamlight Wedge’, w/pocket clip, flat body fits nicely in your waistline, pocket, or the admin slots in a bag or briefcase, is rechargeable and has a constant on switch and a temp ‘push’ forward switch that boosts it up to a 1K L for about 10-20 seconds at a time before returning on its own to regular lumens so it doesn’t overheat or waste battery. So far it’s pretty cool. No issues with it.

View attachment 542752View attachment 542759View attachment 542760View attachment 542761View attachment 542762View attachment 542763View attachment 542764
I’ve had this light since it first came out, I actually preordered it. It’s been an awesome go to flashlight.

I'd rather in a situation that I'd actually need it, not have to fiddle with hacking away at it with a knife.

Razor blades are generally sharper than your everyday beater knife
And if you’re cutting someone else out you don’t have to worry about eviscerating them. That’s a big plus on belt cutters.

I’ve had this light since it first came out, I actually preordered it. It’s been an awesome go to flashlight.
Liking mine so far too, all in all I still prefer battery op’d lights over rechargers for anything field oriented or more than a day outside the house.

Cut the belt by the pillar, not by the person.
Sure if you can put those words into whoever’s untrained panicked mind it’s happening to while their car is upside down, on fire or underwater and a loved one is still stuck there.

That’s why they were designed, to dumb it down to the safest way to use it.

Sure if you can put those words into whoever’s untrained panicked mind it’s happening to while their car is upside down, on fire or underwater and a loved one is still stuck there.

That’s why they were designed, to dumb it down to the safest way to use it.

Fair point.

What happens of you have to cut them out first?

I.e. you crash into a lake/pond and they are underwater while you are still above it?

Honestly, I'll grant you the carbide glass breaker, although there are videos showing that many are just soft steel and won't actually break a window. But there's a lot of seat belt material near the pillar that isn't laying against the body of the victim. If you just had a regular halfway sharp pocket knife, you would want to cut the belt there, or near the buckle to reduce the chances of cutting the victim with your knife.

So, to me, those extra doo-dads on a knife make the knife uncomfortable to carry/use and for nearly no gain.

This, of course, simply the opinion of a random person online whose consideration of similar styled knifes led him to a different conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom