• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your New Knife!

What do y’all use to sharpen your knives? I suck at freehand with a stone so I’ve been looking at the Wicked Edge system. Its a couple bucks so figured I would ask for opinions from NES (risky I know).

What do y’all use to sharpen your knives? I suck at freehand with a stone so I’ve been looking at the Wicked Edge system. Its a couple bucks so figured I would ask for opinions from NES (risky I know).
I use the edge pro apex and like it, but lately I've been thinking about switching to freehand stones. Nothing wrong with the edge pro but I feel like I'd be prouder of my results if I could do it freehand. The sharpening systems make me feel like I'm cheating

This knife seems to be decent but the sheath sucks. Knife leaves some blade exposed and doesn't have enough retaining strap to snap shut. It will stay in the toolbox at my garage.

Attachments

• 20210108_102412.jpg
    20210108_102412.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210108_102426-1.jpg
    20210108_102426-1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 12
I learned on stones and strops 35 years ago. It's all I know...
Likewise.

The time you invest in learning to do it the simple way outweighs the money they charge for those miracle whiz-bang "sharpening systems."

Likewise.

The time you invest in learning to do it the simple way outweighs the money they charge for those miracle whiz-bang "sharpening systems."
I toyed with the idea of getting one of those Harbor Freight 1x30 tabletop belt sanders this year, but they look "less forgiving"

Nice thing about stones is your movements are so much slower... it is almost impossible to bitch-up a blade...

I used my dad's sharpening stone as a kid but no real training. I have one of those little linsky? Sharpeners. Seems good enough but only allows one angle. The problem is it's so small I don't know where I put it lol

Thanks for the posts on the Edge Pro, a cheaper system similar to the Wicked Edge. I have been “getting by” with a stone for forty years and I don’t WANT to any more.

I want my knives sharp, I don’t care HOW and I honestly don’t care how much, which should have been obvious if you knew anything at all about the product I asked about.

Posting that I should learn to use a stone is patronizing, doesn’t answer the question I asked, and you come off like a dick. But this is NES and I expected a bunch of dicks not to answer the question. It’s like asking about reticles and some idiot posts that you should learn to use irons. How tf do you know whether I can or can’t? That wasn’t the question.

What do y’all use to sharpen your knives?
Posting that I should learn to use a stone is patronizing, doesn’t answer the question I asked, and you come off like a dick. But this is NES and I expected a bunch of dicks not to answer the question. It’s like asking about reticles and some idiot posts that you should learn to use irons. How tf do you know whether I can or can’t? That wasn’t the question.

?

Thanks for the posts on the Edge Pro, a cheaper system similar to the Wicked Edge. I have been “getting by” with a stone for forty years and I don’t WANT to any more.

I want my knives sharp, I don’t care HOW and I honestly don’t care how much, which should have been obvious if you knew anything at all about the product I asked about.

.....oookay......

Your "question" was "What do y'all use to sharpen your knives." All I saw were answers.

I was weened on stones myself. Now I just use this ceramic stone. I think it’s from Spyderco. The dark side is course and the white side is fine. Uses water drops to move the particles 01CB7A9E-5359-4E9C-900F-D11C8BC870D6.jpeg

I learned on stones as a kid too, but these days I run the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It’s expensive for what it is, but it’s the easiest way I have found to keep my knives hair poppingly sharp. Not so good for knives that are super dull, but perfect for maintaining an edge. I use it in my kitchen knives too. Once a month, 20 passes on each corner,(of the stone), 20 passes on each flat, and they are back to cleanly slicing through a piece of paper.

I also have the smith guided system. It’s not so good for small pocket knives, but it came with a diamond stone, and is great at bringing a working edge back on a really dull hunting knife or kitchen knives. My best friend had a couple of expensive kitchen knives that had become butter knife dull. I used the smith diamond stone to get a working edge on them, then got them shaving hair on the sharpmaker. They bought a sharpmaker the next week.

Stones are fantastic if you get the angle right. I have a big whetstone that I used on my kitchen knives before the sharpmaker. The sharpmaker just makes it impossible to get the angle wrong.

Technically I got this one last week in the lot with the Sencut I posted, but it's a "different" knife today.

CJRB Centros - It was natural G10, and I'm really not a fan of the mint green, so I started brainstorming on what color would make those orange accents pop. Off to walmart for a bottle of RIT Dye and Voila...

20210119_105131.jpg 20210119_105140.jpg 20210119_105211.jpg

Back
Top Bottom