• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Knife

The $2500 is a collector's edition of some sort. The normal Sebenza's run about $400, and comprise the standard for quality folding knives.

Blades are like anything else; quality will only be distinguished by holding different knives and by what job you intend them for. If you rarely pull the knife out, a $15 Mora will do you just fine. If you carry and use a knife every day, why short yourself? What's a extra couple hundred dollars, in the long run? Better blades will have better construction, materials, steel, balance, grind, and ergonomics. Better folders will have tighter tolerances.
Thanks Doc. That makes sense. For my purposes, for a sheath knife, I'll stick with the USMC KaBar my unit got me when I left active duty. I like my leatherman for my pocket. I'd love to have a nice quality folder, but at some point I'll start looking like a banger with my shorts down around my knees from all the knives weighing me down! There are a lot of real nice looking ones out there.

Get out of the production world and into customs.

You can get a custom for the same price as a decent production.

It's like buying an Ed Brown or having Greg Derr build a custom caspian from the ground up.
They both rock and will both work equally as well. So why no go with a Derr build and get exactly what you want.

Paul Letourneau is a member here and makes awesome knives for less money that some of the productions mentioned above.
Some of the production companies get a lot of hype and really they're knives suck. Busse knives are all hype and super expensive. My buddy compared the geometry of on to his pack axe. The pack axe was thinner.
Chris Reeve knives are hype too. Yeah they are "nice", but for another $150 you can have a custom from RJ Martin that you can't even compare the Reeve to.
Check out some forums and see if you can get to a local knife show to meet some guys and get some ideas.
PM me if you want to call me to discuss some stuff to look for in a blade and some suggestions on makers or companies.
Take care.

Dozier makes a nice knife also. You do have to do a bit of research on custom makers though. When all else fails you can't possibly go wrong with a Randall

... Its more about finding out what people more experienced than myself think than what the perfect fixed blade is .... .

Hahahahahahah aha ahahahhhahahahahahaha ... Funny guy ...

You know that drawer full of holsters that didn't quite work out ? Or the 5 handguns you own but don't carry ? .... I've been buying " just right " knives for 20 years. I bet the next one will be just right ....

I just spent my first spring camping weekend sat , sun and Monday. I never dug the Kabar out of my pack, I did frequently reach for the less the. 4 inch Benchmade/Snody fixed blade I carry more often than any other I own.

Walmart or Target had these little slim folding locking money clip style utility razor knives , made by Gerber ... and it's sharper than any of the production knives I own.

99% of the cutting I do is plastic wrap packaging , or something that deserves the precision of a new clean utility razor blade.

I carry a biggish folder at night , a small fixed blade camping or working , and of course my BoB has a big knife strapped to it.

My everyday carry is a Kershaw #2415. An acquaintance gave it to me because I helped show him how to do shop trig. It's about ideal as to size and weight. Doesn't hold an edge too well, but that could be because I use it everyday. I cut cordage, paper, cardboard, plastic etc. I even use it to deburr parts so I can inspect them. Would gladly give my left nut for another especially considering I don't use said nut for anything.

Get out of the production world and into customs.

You can get a custom for the same price as a decent production.

It's like buying an Ed Brown or having Greg Derr build a custom caspian from the ground up.
They both rock and will both work equally as well. So why no go with a Derr build and get exactly what you want.

Paul Letourneau is a member here and makes awesome knives for less money that some of the productions mentioned above.
Some of the production companies get a lot of hype and really they're knives suck. Busse knives are all hype and super expensive. My buddy compared the geometry of on to his pack axe. The pack axe was thinner.
Chris Reeve knives are hype too. Yeah they are "nice", but for another $150 you can have a custom from RJ Martin that you can't even compare the Reeve to.
Check out some forums and see if you can get to a local knife show to meet some guys and get some ideas.
PM me if you want to call me to discuss some stuff to look for in a blade and some suggestions on makers or companies.
Take care.

Good luck finding any of RJ's work for $550 , just sayin.

Hahahahahahah aha ahahahhhahahahahahaha ... Funny guy ...

You know that drawer full of holsters that didn't quite work out ? Or the 5 handguns you own but don't carry ? .... I've been buying " just right " knives for 20 years. I bet the next one will be just right ....
This. LOL. Fubar, I've been doing the same thing. Looking for that perfect knife. Half the time I use one of the blades as a scraper, so Stockmans are pretty much the standard in my pocket 24/7. I always go back to a small MooreMaker stockman made by Queen. I think MooreMaker( a cowboy outfitter in Texas) still has the queen made ones. Pricey at $100.00 but made perfect.

Last edited:
The Benchmade Osborne 940 may be the best designed production EDC folder ever made. A great tool that is well made and will last. I've been carrying one every day for over 10 years. If that's not enough, check out Warren Osborne's custom stuff, and bring plenty of money.

Chris

I've got one of the schrade case knives that I've been carrying since I lost the mini-buck. Its got a sheepsfoot, spey, and clip point blade and while its classy (faux-bone scrimshawed wildlife scene) and does a fine job, I find that it doesn't really matter which of the 3 blades I use with most everyday tasks and I greatly prefer a locking point in a folding knife.

Gonna pick up an opinel for my brother and sister for their birthdays. If I like em I might get one for myself for the time being

Back
Top Bottom