• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your holster/belt rig recommendations

I just recently in Jan picked up a Glock 22 and finally got around to ordering a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster. Should be here this week. Look forward to buying a few more holsters for it

Granted the G22 isn't the most concealable pistol, I know that when it comes to holsters, quality counts. I have NOT bought a proper belt yet, so I won't be CC til I do.

(Also, am planning on getting a S&W 642 and G27 or G36 so those would be my primary CCW when I get them)

However there were many options that I was looking at as far as types of concealable holsters; retention, cross-draw, ankle, bellybands, pancake, paddle....etc.
I researched many makers and read Massad Ayoob's excellent Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry. I feel more knowledgeable about the subject but still a complete novice as I haven't CC yet!!

I am not trying to get people to reveal what and where they carry, and I would advise people responding to think about that before they post, but I would like an idea of what holsters/belts/methods you guys have used with success, as well as utter failure[grin]

I don't want to waste money on systems that I won't be happy with, but I know some is inevitable.

So what works for you or people that you know?

This will inevitably get moved to the Equipment Forum.... As many threads of this sort with suggestions and thoughts are there [wink]

I use a Wilderness Instructor's belt... typically... if people aren't using a leather gun belt... they're using a Wilderness belt. Great belt.

These are the holsters that I use...

Raven Concealment System Phantom used OWB... one of the best concealable OWB holsters out there (I know I sound like a broken record here... but what can I say).
Comptac CTAC IWB holster
Smart Carry for deep concealment
JP ankle rig for the J Frame

These are my go-to holsters. All the other holsters I've tried have been sold or given away. I am in the process of finding a pocket holster that works for me... and it's proving to be a difficult one. I'll probably have a bunch of pocket holsters up for sale over the next few weeks/months [smile] Well see how it goes......

Last edited:
I'd love to get some Mitch Rosen stuff. However, maybe when I get a firearm that would be better suited for such high quality. Would like to try the ARG.

Also, I tend to forget the other forums exist! Sorry

Almost all of us have a box full of holsters. Here's what I use now:

1) Kimber Compact OWB: Rusty Sherrick Gochenour Extreme High Ride

This holster only works if your belt is quite stable. It won't work on my 5.11 pants because the lack of belt loop at the 3:00 position allows the belt to roll up during the draw.

2) Kimber Compact IWB: Rusty Sherrick Inside the Waist Band

3) Kahr MK9/PM9: Rusty Sherrick pocket holster

4) Belt from the Beltman. I previously used a belt from Lou Alessi. I think that belt was better than the one from the Beltman, which seems to be wearing rapidly. Unfortunately, the belt from Lou Alessi is many years old and just worn out (and I've also "grown" out of it).

Some things that didn't work:

1) IWB holster for Kimber Compact from Wilson Combat. This positioned the grip too high above the belt and it printed like @#@! when squatting down to pick something up.

2) Galco "Concealable Belt Holster" (OWB) for Kimber Compact. At $99, this holster is not inexpensive, but it is poorly made. The mouth is not reinforced, so it collapses after drawing, which is inexcusable for an OWB holster.

3) Comp-tac "Settable Cant Holster" (OWB) for Kimber Compact. This was my go to holster for some time. But then one day while I was wearing it (at home, fortunately), one of the belt loops broke. That was not encouraging.

4) Milt Sparks Versamax 2 (IWB tuckable) holster for Kahr MK9/PM9. Tucking in my shirt around the gun was a major pain in my backside anyways. If I'm going to carry a gun on my belt, I can carry a bigger gun (with a better grip, more rounds, larger sight radius) than the MK9. Fundamentally, if I want to carry a pocket gun in deep concealment without using a cover garment, the easy way to do that is to (duh!) carry it in my pocket.

I haven't tried cross-draw. The upside of cross draw is that it is easy to draw from while seated. It's downsides include 1) potential for sweeping others during the draw, 2) potential for sweeping yourself while holstering, and 3) it is closer to your center line than a hip holster, and thus harder to conceal.

I'd love to get some Mitch Rosen stuff. However, maybe when I get a firearm that would be better suited for such high quality. Would like to try the ARG.
When I took LFI-1, Ayoob brought Mitch Rosen in for a show and tell. Mr. Rosen impressed me enough that I'll never buy anything from him.

My Mitch Rosen belt is now pushing 10 years old. Has been worn virtually every day in those 10 years. I have a few Rosen holsters and ammo carriers as well. All work as well today as the day I got them.

A good belt is worth the $$. Spend it once and you'll love the belt long after the cost is forgotten.

Unfortunately, no one holster works for all things. One day I'll pocket carry a j-frame. The next I'll have a belt slide. All depends on what I'm wearing. But the belt is almost always the same. I personally dislike IWB as every one I've tried digs in after a few hours of sitting. Perhaps if I were to work off the spare tire a bit that would help. But I have to go with what works. And yes, I do have about a dozen or so holsters that fill a drawer. Some are range only, some are for specific needs. Some are commonly used, and a few are never likely to be used again.

For me, I MUCH prefer good leather over any of the plastic designs for daily carry. On the range I have less of a preference. Both leather and kydex work fine.

Sadly, you'll have to discover what works well for you.

M1911

Thank you very much for the info. That's exactly the kind of post I was looking for.
Also, Rosen impressed you NOT to buy any of his stuff? That is quite an interesting little snippet, please do tell!

M1911

Thank you very much for the info. That's exactly the kind of post I was looking for.
Also, Rosen impressed you NOT to buy any of his stuff? That is quite an interesting little snippet, please do tell!
He did, indeed. The workmanship of the samples he brought looked good. The holster designs looked good. He offered options for expensive leather choices if that was your thing. But he came off to me as being very arrogant. I just didn't like the guy and didn't want to give him my money. Maybe he (or I) was just having a bad day. YMMV.

You and me are very alike in that respect. I can completely agree with what you did and would've done the same if I were there. What about your thoughts on the course?

What about your thoughts on the course?
About LFI-1? I think I've learned more about marksmanship elsewhere. But no one other class that I've taken has come anywhere close to Ayoob's coverage of the legal issues. I heartily recommend LFI-1. He opens your eyes about the need to win both fights: the gun fight and the court fight.

so my first pistol was a commander size 1911 and i carried that for a while in an IWB holster that i made myself as i could not find a holster right away. the holster i constructed was based on a milt sparks versa max 2. than i bought a holster the last gun show i was at and that has been alright; again, IWB.

finally a year of carrying a 1911 with IWB set up and said to myself, "a smaller pistol would be nice".....

about a week ago i picked up a sig sauer p239 and a de santis OWB holster and i absolutely love it!

the point i am making is this, there is no right or wrong and i understand seeking popular opinion as i did the same thing. go with what feels right.

good luck with it all

I most times carry OWB. I have a Galco FLETCH galco.com/ FLETCH that works great for my S&W M&P FS and MY S&W 1911.

I have gotten a Mernickle Belt www.mernickleholsters/pb1 that is great and a IWB holster mernickleholsters.com/ps2_ref6 that I like also. My body doesn't like IWB holsters but this one wears nicely without pain.

I am having him make me an OWB holster mernickleholsters.com/ps6r1 with thumb break (I like thumb breaks) to replace my Galco. That way everything will match as far as leather and color. He is also making me a magazine holster to match also.

You can't beat Mernickle stuff, it is well made, lasts forever, it fits and wears nicely and he stands behind his product.

I had to send my belt back when I got it, I needed a few more holes, I was going to do it but he said no I'll pay the shipping both ways and do it at no cost. I just had one of the snaps break on my IWB holster (my flault) and he wanted me to send it to him (all free again) but I said no just send me some new snaps and I'll install them myself (I have the tools to fix it) and he just dropped the snaps in the mail to me. As I said real good service !!!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have a Crossbreed Supertuck and belt for my G22 and I conceal that thing with a sweatshirt no problem. And I'm like 140lbs.

After much trial and error I have settled on three makers for my holsters (yes, I do have a box full of holsters).

For IWB I use the FIST#20 and the Tucker Gunleather Secret. The FIST is a unique design in that it is basically an Askins Avenger set up for IWB. Since the holster is one piece of the leather wrapped around the pistol, the front end of it is very stiff. Add to that the slightly thicker, stiffer leather used by FIST and a mouth reinforcement, and you have a holster with the comfort of leather (no pinching, digging, or pressure points) and the stiffness of kydex. The holster is beautifully finished inside and out and cant and ride height are adjustable within reason. It allows me to conceal a full size M&P with ease.

DSC00610.jpg

The Tucker Secret is a softer, less rigid holster than the FIST. It won't collapse when you draw unless you cinch your belt down hard. With a proper belt, there is no need to clamp down on it anyway. It is a flatter holster than the FIST as it is basically a pancake with IWB straps. The leather is a little bit thinner and there is no mouth reinforcement. While this holster conceals very well a full size pistol (SIG 226), it doesn't pull the butt of the pistol in as hard as the FIST does.

rlcompanyusa_2095_1689157

Finally, the only OWB holster I buy any more are made by John O'Rourke of O'Rourke Leather. His pancakes ride a little bit lower than most, which places the butt of the gun closer to the belt. This has the effect of canting the top of the pistol into your side and makes the butt of the gun disappear. Most OWB holsters I have tried ride too high, letting the butt print and making the draw difficult. O'Rourke pancake holster still ride plenty high to conceal very well under an untucked shirt.

DSC00489.jpg

As far as belts, I go with leather (The Beltman or A&G Custom Leather for IWB and a Wilderness 5 stitch Instructor belt for OWB.

I just recently in Jan picked up a Glock 22 and finally got around to ordering a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster. Should be here this week. Look forward to buying a few more holsters for it

Granted the G22 isn't the most concealable pistol, I know that when it comes to holsters, quality counts. I have NOT bought a proper belt yet, so I won't be CC til I do.

(Also, am planning on getting a S&W 642 and G27 or G36 so those would be my primary CCW when I get them)

However there were many options that I was looking at as far as types of concealable holsters; retention, cross-draw, ankle, bellybands, pancake, paddle....etc.
I researched many makers and read Massad Ayoob's excellent Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry. I feel more knowledgeable about the subject but still a complete novice as I haven't CC yet!!

I am not trying to get people to reveal what and where they carry, and I would advise people responding to think about that before they post, but I would like an idea of what holsters/belts/methods you guys have used with success, as well as utter failure[grin]

I don't want to waste money on systems that I won't be happy with, but I know some is inevitable.

I suggest checking out the crossbreed supertuck.

Are you interested in pocket carry? Try a Mika pocket holster.
Why yes I am. I need a wardrobe change though. I'm a punk through and through, so I wear skinny jeans and band t-shirts. Instead I need to trade it in for some Woolrich elite lightweight pants/shorts, maybe their vest on some occasions and all-around just get clothes with a bigger waistband and overall non print fit.

I was planning on possibly carrying an S&W 642 in a pocket or cross-draw configuration. I'll look into Mika. Any dealer's that you know that stock them?

so my first pistol was a commander size 1911 and i carried that for a while in an IWB holster that i made myself as i could not find a holster right away. the holster i constructed was based on a milt sparks versa max 2. than i bought a holster the last gun show i was at and that has been alright; again, IWB.

finally a year of carrying a 1911 with IWB set up and said to myself, "a smaller pistol would be nice".....

about a week ago i picked up a sig sauer p239 and a de santis OWB holster and i absolutely love it!

the point i am making is this, there is no right or wrong and i understand seeking popular opinion as i did the same thing. go with what feels right.

good luck with it all

I understand what you are saying. Before I spend the money for a certain holster, i'd like to hear from people that like theirs. Glad to hear about your luck with the P239 and the De Santis. Also, you got picks of the holster you made? It'd be sweet to see it

I suggest checking out the crossbreed supertuck.

My first choice was gonna be a Crossbreed. I think down the line I just might. After I lose some post-surgery weight (due to inactivity) I'll adjust my wardrobe and re-evaluate whether or not I can wear an IWB. That Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 I just got in the mail today is nice, but with how my pants fit, it looks like it's an OWB!!! Ugh...I can't wait to get slimmer and get some new duds!

My first choice was gonna be a Crossbreed. I think down the line I just might. After I lose some post-surgery weight (due to inactivity) I'll adjust my wardrobe and re-evaluate whether or not I can wear an IWB. That Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 I just got in the mail today is nice, but with how my pants fit, it looks like it's an OWB!!! Ugh...I can't wait to get slimmer and get some new duds!

If your handle means your like me you will most times carry OWB.

I've tryed a lot of IWB holsters and so far the only one I have found that fits my 6' 3" 300Lb love handle body is the Mernickle PS2-REF 6. mernickleholsters.com

I've been thinking about trying one of those Super Tucks but I like thumb break (retension holsters) holsters. If I remember right I called him and he said he would never make a thumb break holster so I didn't buy anything from him. I called a lot of holster makers and they laughed at me when I asked them to build one like that for me.

That's what I love about Mernickle Holsters, I talked to him about a magazine holder that I want and he liked the idea and told me he is going to add it to his line and make one for me.

That being said I still carry OWB most times due to it being more comfortable.

I'll try to post a photo of my holster soon.

See Ya

Crossbreed SuperTuck

Crossbreed SuperTuck (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com) with my Glock 22. Very comfortable and hides well.

I'm 6'2 240lbs at the moment. Typically I am 220.

OK rup it in, I haven't seen 220 in a long time [smile] [smile] [smile] !!!

I have to admit though as you said about putting on "surgery weight" it is true. I've had two back surgerys scene 2006 and I'm going to be going in for my 4th back surgey soon.

So ya it sucks sitting around not being able to do much, I've been a active guy all my life, I'm pulling my hair out with all these medical problems my wife and I am haveing.

OK rup it in, I haven't seen 220 in a long time [smile] [smile] [smile] !!!

I have to admit though as you said about putting on "surgery weight" it is true. I've had two back surgerys scene 2006 and I'm going to be going in for my 4th back surgey soon.

So ya it sucks sitting around not being able to do much, I've been a active guy all my life, I'm pulling my hair out with all these medical problems my wife and I am haveing.

I'm really sorry that you are having to go thru all of that. I am thankful for your holster recommendations though. I wish you both the best

Back
Top Bottom