• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Guns Suck - All of Them

JimConway

Instructor
If you remember, I had some harsh words about the S&W M&P's trigger. This is a effort to insult all of the firearms that you love. This is not a flame, nor an attempt at trolling, but rather a little fun. This is taken from Marko Kloos' Munchkin Wrangler blog http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/ ; he did in jest, and to stimulate discussion. I thought I'd post it here in the same vein, so whack away at your favorite designs, or those purchases that seemed like a good idea at the time, but, well you know...

butchering a whole herd of holy cows.

I’ve had complaints about my lack of strictly gun-related posts lately, so I’ll address that complaint right now by talking a bit about guns.

On the Intertubes, nothing draws traffic like controversy. Therefore, I have decided to generate some controversy among my gun-owning readers. And what better way to do that than to talk smack about your particular favorite brand of gun? And since I don’t know your particular preference, I shall now talk smack about a whole bunch of popular designs.

M14/M1A: Clunky, heavy, and overpowered. Essentially a Garand tarted up with a removable magazine, in a half-baked attempt to adapt a 19th century rifle design philosophy to the mid-20th century. Most often named as favorite infantry rifle by people who never had to hump a 10-pound wood-stocked rifle with lots of sharp protrusions and no collapsible anything on a three day exercise, or try to make it through a firefight with the standard battle load of five 20-round magazines.

AK-47: Crude and inaccurate bullet thrower designed by and for illiterate peasants. Chambered in a caliber that manages to cut the ballistics of a proper .30-caliber battle rifle in half without passing on any weight savings to the grunt. Ergonomics only suitable for Russian midgets. Archaic cable trigger spring, crummy sights, no sight radius to speak of, no bolt hold-open device, and a clumsy safety. Favorite infantry rifle of Middle Eastern goat herders, guys named Abdullah, and backwoods militia types who like the fact that it shoots cheap ammo and has ballistics like their familiar .30-30.

H&K G-3/HK-91: Ergonomics of a railroad tie. No bolt release, and a locking system that requires three men and a mule to work the cocking handle. Fluted chamber that mauls brass, and violent bolt motion that dings the brass that didn’t get mauled too badly by the chamber. Stamped sheet metal construction, yet just as heavy as a milled steel M14. Safety lever that requires unnaturally long thumbs, and a trigger pull that feels like dragging a piano across a gravel road with your index finger. Favorite infantry rifle of Cold War nostalgics and third world commandos.

M-16/AR-15: Underpowered varmint rifle burdened by a crummy magazine design. Nasty direct-impingement gas system that poops where it eats. High sight line, flimsy alloy-and-plastic construction. Generally favored by range commandos, tactical disciples, military vets who have never fired anything else for comparison, and Brownells addicts who a.) enjoy spending three times the cost on the rifle on bolt-on accoutrements, and b.) never have to use their rifle away from a dry, sunny range.

G-36: Flimsy plastic rifle with non-user adjustable fair-weather optics that fog up when a gnat farts in front of them. Magazines that take up twice as much pouch space than others in the same caliber because of the "clever" coupling nubs on the magazine housing. Skeleton folding stock that is about as suitable for butt-stroking as a plastic mess spork. Twice as expensive as other rifles in its class because of the "HK" logo on the receiver. Preferred infantry rifle of SWAT cops, and soldiers whose militaries haven’t been in shooting conflicts since the 1940s.

Glock: Butt-ugly plastic shooting appliance with the ergonomics of a caulking gun. Five-pound trigger with no external safety makes it ill-suited for its target market (cops who shoot a hundred rounds a year for qualification). Favored by gangbangers because the product name is short and rhymes with other short, rap-friendly words.

Beretta 92F/M9: Clunky and overweight rip-off of a clunky and overweight German design from the 1930s. Shear-happy locking block, ergonomics that are only suited for linebackers, barely adequate sights that are partially non-replaceable, and low capacity for its size. Favored by Eighties action movie fanatics and John Woo freaks.

1911: Overweight and overly complex piece of late 19th century technology. Low capacity, useless sights in stock form, and a field-stripping procedure that requires three hands. Favored by people who are at the cutting edge of handgun technology and combat shooting…of the 1960s.

H&K P7: Wildly overpriced, heavy for its size, low capacity in most iterations, and blessed with a finish that rusts if you give the gun a moist glance. Gas tube has a tendency to roast the trigger finger after a box or two of ammo at the range. Favored by gun snobs who think that paying twice as much for half the rounds means four times the fighting skill.

SIG Sauer: Top-heavy bricks with the rust resistance of an untreated iron nail at the bottom of a bucket of saltwater. Ergonomically sound, if you have size XXL mitts. Some minor parts made in Germany, so the manufacturer can charge 75% Teutonic Gnome Magic premium. Favored by Jack Bauer fans and wannabe Sky Marshals/Secret Service agents.

Did I leave anyone out? Feel free to add to the list. Let’s not, however, have an argument about how very wrong I am about your favorite blaster, because, hey, I’m not.

Disclaimer: I’ve owned multiple copies of most of the designs mentioned above, and I think they’re all fine and dandy designs. However, a good debater can take both sides of an argument at the drop of a hat, so take it as an exercise in debating skills, and try to pick nits about your particular darling. Ready? Go!

S&W Revolvers: Archaic hand weapons from a bygone era, the missing link between flintlocks and autoloaders. Low capacity, and reloading requires a lunch break. Heavy for their capacity, unless you’re talking about airweight snubbies, which hurt as much on the giving end as they do on the receiving end. Rare stoppages, but few malfunctions that don’t require gunsmith services, which are hard to come by in a gunfight. Favored by crusty old farts who just now got around to trusting newfangled smokeless powder, and Dirty Harry fans with unrealistic ideas about the power of Magnum rounds vs. engine blocks.

SMLE/Enfield: Refinement of a 19th century blackpowder design. Weapon of choice for militaries who either couldn’t afford Mausers, or had ideological hangups about Kraut rifles. Rimlock-prone cartridge that only barely classifies as a battle rifle round because of blackpowder derivation and insufficient lock strength of the platform. Favored by Canadians with WWII nostalgia, and people who think that semi-auto rifles are a passing fad.

Browning HP: Fragile frame designed around a popgun round. Near-useless safety in stock form that’s only suitable for the thumbs of elementary schoolers. Strangest and most circuitous way to trip a sear ever put into a handgun. Favored by wannabe SAS commandos, wannabe mercenaries, and Anglophiles who think that hammer-down, chamber-empty carry is the most appropriate way to carry a defensive sidearm.

Benelli shotguns: Plastic boutique scatterguns made by people with the martial acumen of dairy cows. Hideously expensive, and therefore popular with police agencies that get their equipment financed by tax dollars.

FN FAL: Long and lightweight receiver that’s impossible to scope properly. Overpowered round, twenty-round magazines that run dry in a blink, and an overall weapon length that’s only suitable for Napoleonic line infantry, but utterly useless for airborne and armored infantry. Made by Belgians, a nation with a military history that is limited to waving German divisions through at the border. Favored by Falklands veterans, Commonwealth fanboys, and people who think that dial-a-recoil gas systems are the epitome of infantry technology.

There. Happy now?

Glock: Favored by people who no nothing about guns (except from watching NCIS), current and former NFL second-string athletes, 17-year-old punks, and people who don't like more than a magazine release and take-down level on their guns.

1911s: Great if you don't want to carry anything with more rounds than a typical S&W revolver. Favored by wannabe-Army types that probably dodged the 'Nam draft in 1969.

I have to say that I agree with much of what he says. Now this part is harsh:

Made by Belgians, a nation with a military history that is limited to waving German divisions through at the border.
Zing!

Desert Eagle:

A freakishly large, drastically overpriced cartoon gun with the ergonomics of a tire iron and a grip like a 2X4 wrapped in a bike tire. A "combat" pistol that is:

1: Low capacity.
2: Uses revolver ammo not found on ANY modern battlefield.
3: Prone to jamming with anything but a deathgrip.
4: Front heavy.
5: Makes a report and muzzle flash that Helen Keller could pick up from a mile away.
6: NOT used by any current organized combative entity.

It is a auto-loader that fires revolver ammo using an AR-15 extractor and a floating magazine.

Truly the duck-billed platypus of guns.

Favored by non-combatants, mall ninjas, and every Hollywood director in the history of action films.

And I LOVE mine. [smile]

Last edited:
Kel-Tec: Not sure if they make guns or paper-weights shaped like actual guns. Really inexpensive pieces of crap that I wouldn't want my worst enemy to use. Bringing a Kel-Tec to a knife fight ensures that the guy that brought the knife is going to win. Favored by cheapskates, minimum-wage earners, and high school drop outs who, for some strange reason, haven't heard the word "Glock" before.

Heckler-and-Koch: Overpriced German junk. Probably made and sold to Americans to get back at them for that whole World War II thing. Favored by uppity pricks who probably own two or three Mercedes-Benz cars and gun-owners who used to own Sig Sauers. Big fans of H&K guns include former Blackwater agents and men with womenly-soft hands.

Mossberg: Quality plays second-fiddle to Remington equivalents. Semi-automatic Mossberg shotguns would be more effectively used as prop guns in any action movie featuring Bruce Willis. Favored by hillbilly rednecks who can't afford a quality Bennelli, disturbed individuals with hidden wooden dowel fetishes, or gun owners that like to constantly replace plastic safeties.

Say something bad about the CZ-75. I dare you.

CZ-75- Another handgun that wishes it was a Sig P226 or a Glock 17, maybe it will be when it grows up, just like the Beretta 92. A gun that they were too cheap to put a decocker on. And when they did eventually, and
called it the CZ-75BD, gun smiths started running away from it due to the byzantine complexity of the mechanism. There, I did it. [laugh]

-Mike

Ruger 10/22 Carbine: Ergonomically wrong for anyone over the age of 7. Iron sights that are impossible to adjust, flimsy, and only serve as reminders that you wish they weren't there. A masterpiece of modern design depending on almost as many poorly stamped parts as an HK G3, made to no known tolerances. The comb height is somehow inappropriate for either iron sights or optics, and tries to answer the question "Is balsa a hardwood?" The ideal training rifle, as the trainee will believe that whatever they buy next is a better rifle.

I have 4 of them......
[rofl]

[laugh] I like this thread. I'll rib one of my own...

Walther PPK, PPK/s: Heavy, outdated design only kept alive for the goons who think they're James friggin Bond. More picky about what they'll eat than Kate Moss. A D/A trigger pull that makes all but the strongest galloots shit their pants trying to fire it. About as comfortable to handle as a '76 Ford with no power steering. Sticker priced as such just to see if we'll actually pay $200 more than it's worth just for a name. [grin]

BTW, I like my stainless PPK/s.

Say something bad about the CZ-75. I dare you.
From MunchkinWrangler's comment section...

CZ-75B - Comes with grips made of 3 parts teflon one part stiffener. Has the benefit of a magazine brake spring to make sure that an empty magazine will stay in the gun until pried out with a screwdriver and mule team. Removing this spring will assure damage to magazine lips for all inserted subsequently unless you pay the premium for a replacement flat spring that should’ve been in the gun in the first place. The safety lever is embedded in sea sponge to assure soft and mushy operation, and the double-action trigger pull was carefully calibrated to ensure that even a cop trying to draw the gun couldn’t pull it. Heavy enough to stretch even the thickest belt, this gun will serve admirably as a wheel chock for any known aircraft, or boat anchor for up to 500 tons displacement. Finally, a weapon suitable for “throw it at the bad guy when it’s empty,” since even if he tries to catch it, it’ll break his hand.

And no, I'm not selling mine. It's mine, and you can't have it.
blbl.gif

ok, I'll beat up one of mine...since ALL of my other guns have taken a beating [wink]

HK USP

The HK USP may indeed be the only HK product so mediocre that people won'tpay far too much for it. Coming standard in a caliber that says "I can't commit" like 45-year-old bachelor, this over-sized piece of battle-plastic can be easily concealed...if you're at home. Concealment proves more difficult once the firearm is removed from the safe however. Further, it's mountain gorilla proportions say more about Teutonic fantasy than practical ergonomics. From the indecisive safety secured with the all strength of the pull tab on your frozen orange juice, to the mag release, an afterthought on the trigger guard, it's clear the only one who takes this glorified Airsoft model seriously are the fools who shell out $900+ for this monument to the lowest common denominator.

Raoul Duke: Don't forget the DA trigger pull which requires two men and a come-along, and stacks more than an obsessive-compulsive warehouse worker on speed.

Here we go again!

I'll beat up another of my eclectic irons:

Calico:

Where to begin? A series of uber-high capacity gaudy "space guns" with a helical 50 or 100 round drum magazine that makes Ram-Line 10/22 mags seem reliable. Couple this with a scope mount that places POI about 3 feet above POA at 50 yards, and the 6-8 weeks it takes to load the 50 round drum, and you've got an (un)armed surrender waiting to happen.

No wonder Calico did not successfully fill ONE military contract.

As of this writing, the author is still attempting to shoe-horn the final 10 rounds into the 100 drum, with the assistance of the Rube Goldburg-esque "speed" loader; available from Calico for an exorbitant fee.

What really shines through on this fine weapon is it's FCG; a finely tuned mish-mash of bedsprings, roofing nails, pinewood derby car wheels and a small section of curtain rod. All of this adds up to a trigger that feels like dragging a raw oyster across coarse grit sandpaper, with the constant excitement of "WOW! Did this thing actually go off and return to battery?!?!"

Truly the Fiat Super Brava of guns.

It should be noted that this firearm in it's 100-round .22lr configuration was the weapon of choice for Dark Helmet's goons in Spaceballs.

And we all know what happened to them.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I have every civilian firearm this infernal company has ever made, and I wouldn't sell them for the world! [smile]

Last edited:
A few more...

Walther PPK- No matter how many of them you buy, none of them will ever
be anywhere near as good as the special PPK that 007 carried.

The 1911- When you look up "unreliable" in the dictionary there is a picture of one, with big red circles and red arrows pointing to the swinging link and
the plunger tube. Chuck Norris uses stainless 1911s as impact weapons instead of just firing them- it's more reliable.

(NB- I own 3 1911s and would never get rid of them... but they've pissed me off plenty of times, too. )

SW1911 PD/SC- Free coupon in box with gun for a bag full of replacement plunger tubes.

Seecamp .32 - A handgun that will always look far far better than it
will ever shoot.

S+W Airweight .357 Magnum revolvers- A gun where you at least
momentarily contemplate throwing the gun at the bad guy instead of firing it because you start thinking that, even if the bad guy shoots you, it will
probably hurt less than firing the airweight does.

Ruger Mini-14- "No Honest man needs more than 15 rounds.... patterned in a 20 inch group at 100 yards. "

Ruger centerfire autopistols- Hey RUGER!!!! Robocop called, he wants his gun back- worse yet, he's pissed that you ruined the trigger on it.

Ruger MKxx series 22 LR pistols - A gun that requires a Hammer as a part of
it's field strip/reassembly process- enough said.

Ruger Firearms - Are we buying a firearm, or a safety manual that was
made to look like a gun?

Anything made by Jennings, Lorcin, Raven, Jiminez... a pot metal replica that some monkey attempted to make into a functioning handgun.

Hi-Point semiauto pistols- the Fung Wah Bus of handguns. You don't get
what you never paid for.

FN FiveSeven - FN had to license a patent from Mattel to produce this handgun which was designed for that guy in the grey poupon car to hunt woodchucks with- woodchucks that just so happen to be wearing level 2 kevlar vests.

FN P90- Same as above but based on the falsehood that firing the same woefully inadequate cartridge over and over again at a high rate of speed will
somehow yield a different result.

Sig P210- A small box of magazines for this gun costs more than the gun
itself does. You would think the followers were made of 24 karat gold and encrusted with diamonds.

Glock- Perfection- Well, everything except for the barrel and chamber, of course. [laugh]

New S+W Revolvers- We know better than you- that's why we ram that stupid lock down your throat every time you buy one of our revolvers.

Para Warthog: Para is running a competition to find the 5 people in america that actually have a reliable warthog.

Auto Ordnance 1911- Inside the factory, "Yakety Sax" is being played while this pistol is being manufactured, on an infinite loop. All pistols are submitted for QC, a half an hour before 5 PM, on a friday.

Olympic Arms AR-15 rifles- "We are the CHEAPEST!" (use Willy the Janitor voice while saying this)

Springfield Armory EMP 9mm - "Warning- pistol will not function correctly from factory. Use internet tips to repair. "

FN FAL- Or is it really, or is it a, metric, xiectalub barrel on a SA58 imbel couscous receiver, that has magazines that are not compatible with- oh wait, aw, screw this, let's just use an M1A. [laugh]

Mac 11 9mm SMG - A Jackhammer dies, and is reincarnated as a machine gun.

HK- We make you drool, then we punch you in the face and deliver a kick to your nutsack if you ask for a sear spring. NEIN!

Taurus- "Mommy when I grow up I wanna produce real firearms!!!!!"

Ultramax Ammunition- You know, that guy, at the range, that's always
having trouble with his reloads? Well, now he sells them for money.

Magsafe Ammunition- there's a sucker born every minute.

ARES Defense SHRIKE Upper System- It's worth the wait, even if you have to write it into your will for your descendant to pick it up by the time it's done.

-Mike

This is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite threads.

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Mine 2. Who do I give some more rep points to so that I can give yet another to Fooped?

Hi-Point semiauto pistols- the Fung Wah Bus of handguns. You don't get what you never paid for.

[rofl][rofl2][rofl]Ok, that does it. +1 for you.

Last edited:
Winchester White Box: Did you buy it at Wal-Mart to save the $1 too? Usually favored by Kel-Tec or Taurus pistol owners, people who have an fixation associated with the Dallas Cowboys, or penny pushers who save their spent .22 LR brass to sell on Gunbroker.com for "reloaders".

Wolf Ammo: For the food-stamp recipient that can't even afford WWB. Favored by gun owners who have a penchant for cleaning their barrels as opposed to actually shooting their guns, dog lovers, shooters who like abnormally significant recoil, and people who enjoy the smell of smoke. Considered factory ammo for Glock owners.

Federal Hydra-Shok: Hydra what? Is that even a real word? Favored by people who invariably also own Heckler and Koch or Sig Sauer handguns and shooters who always end up coming to the range with their best set of muffs, middle-aged men with an incurable form of erectile dysfunction, part-time "police officers" or shooters that want to use really expensive metal to punch holes in... paper. Nobody's looking. Go use Wolf ammo already.

SIG Sauer: Top-heavy bricks with the rust resistance of an untreated iron nail at the bottom of a bucket of saltwater. Ergonomically sound, if you have size XXL mitts. Some minor parts made in Germany, so the manufacturer can charge 75% Teutonic Gnome Magic premium. Favored by Jack Bauer fans and wannabe Sky Marshals/Secret Service agents.

Good to Go! I've got Ham-Hands and all my Sigs were manufactured before Exeter NH even had paved roads

Jack who?

A few more...

Sig P210- A small box of magazines for this gun costs more than the gun
itself does. You would think the followers were made of 24 karat gold and encrusted with diamonds.

-Mike

I don't care. I'd kill kittens to get one.

S&W 500: Did you forget that the mortgage payment is due tomorrow? Planning on downing low-flying 757s in Winthrop or something? We're sure the ported barrel does absolutely nothing too. Yes, that mounted scope does look retarded, if you were wondering. Some people like playing the lotto, others like shooting their S&W 500s. Favored by high school varsity jocks who spent more time on the bench then on the actual playing field, shooters who secretly hate their recoil-shy wives or girlfriends and those that like to wait for a crowd to gather within earshot of the pharmacy counter at CVS before they ask the 21-year-old pharmacist in an abnormally loud voice if there are additional cases of Super-XL-Magnum-sized Trojan condoms in the backroom.

S/A Revolvers: So how long have you been collecting antiques or are you a civil-war reenactor on the weekends? Favored by people who are still clueless when it comes to a modern trigger systems or have some undiagnosed fear of blued, autoloading pistols. Gun nuts that don't like using widely available ammunition are big S/A fans.

All the faults mistakenly attributed to the 1911 are simply the result of "experts" presuming to improve upon the original design of John Moses Browning (Peace and blessings be upon him) in order to "improve" accuracy, ergonomics, capacity or some other aspect that these Philistines believe to be lacking. [wink]

Ken

HK- We make you drool, then we punch you in the face and deliver a kick to your nutsack if you ask for a sear spring. NEIN!

So sad but true.

Glock: Yeah, it looks alright with the Homeboy Night Sights, but is it really worth blowing off your hand because you decided to pull the trigger?

Back
Top Bottom