• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your cheapest AR build

Whats the deal with the blemished lowers? How bad can they be?
Here is what 5D says about their blemished 80% lowers:

Blemished Details may include the following below - however, they are in specs and perfectly functionally product.
- Flaws in finishing
- Color and plating inconsistency
- Scratches
- Dings
- Marks

All my 80% builds are going to around 475 a piece when I'm done. I just need 4 buffer tube kits.

I do have a philosophical question with the cost of my builds based on 80% lowers. Should I be including the pro-rated cost of my 5D jig? I already owned a router, so I think it’s fair to not include its cost as part of the build. But I really think I should have to include what I had to spend on the jig. Of course that will depend on how many lowers I make with it. So in order to get the pro-rated cost per lower down to around 10 bucks I’ll just have to complete 22 of them. Now I feel better.

The exact same as the one you spent $2000 on?

You tell me, what's the difference? Are you 4x more accurate, reliable, etc?

I have builds that are spec'd nearly identical to high-end configurations. What's the performance difference between one AR lower to another? $50 vs $1500? How about barrels or BCGs? I've never spent more than $40 on iron sights. Handguards are the most overpriced item in any build. Search deep and you'll find exact-same design and quality for $50-$100 tops. $250+ handguards?? [rofl]

I have no issue with those that want to spend for brand-name everything, but I'm perfectly content with no-name items that get the job done, look great, and save boatloads of money.

The difference is "the job." Plain and simple. Depends on someone's expectations of themselves and their guns.

I don't even own an optic for the price some of you paid for a rifle. Hell, my scope MOUNTS are more than what you guys pay for your uppers. Honest question: what kind of performance (accuracy, ruggedness etc) do you guys realistically expect from these budget builds?
They dont, they want a full rack of rifles, sand pit plinking and club viewings

my buddy has been abusing his bear creak arsenal AR for a few years now.
Its a cheap pos, really whole rifle new from FFL was like $385 pre ma Healy bullshit.
Nothing but cheap ammo and when he he hunkers down and applies decent fundamentals hes right at 4 moa or so

I do have a philosophical question with the cost of my builds based on 80% lowers. Should I be including the pro-rated cost of my 5D jig? I already owned a router, so I think it’s fair to not include its cost as part of the build. But I really think I should have to include what I had to spend on the jig. Of course that will depend on how many lowers I make with it. So in order to get the pro-rated cost per lower down to around 10 bucks I’ll just have to complete 22 of them. Now I feel better.
Depends if your using those tools on other projects.
If I calculate my tools I buy to build something its usually a gun smith fees would be as much if not more.
Shy of needing precise lathe service I will buy the tools before paying a smith on 80% of what my needs are.
I dont love the AR enough to do a 80% but that seems to be the place to save some coin.
I always check out midway and brownells clearance rack.
Midway Birthday discount helps alot also. Picked up a free float rail not only on clearance but 28% off for Bday
Midway House brand $52 shipped
Built a few budget ARs but not by purchasing cheap stuff from the onset but looking and jumping on deals.
Bought a Sarco kit years ago, one with the barrel in the white.
Stag kits through AR15 sales where a good run mid 2000s

good thing theres not a lot of special tools needed for AR “building”

i bought action wrench, barrel vise , gauges, finish reamer for doing 30-06 garands and springfields. About $500 with shipping for the tools.
$200 was the lowest quote for barrel seap and head space when was looking.
i have done 6 so far so the tools have paid for themselves. Plus I have had a few small fee jobs with the tools for friends

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom