1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Your Apps Know Where You Were Last Night, and They’re Not Keeping It Secret

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Reptile, Dec 10, 2018.

1. jpk

jpk

Dont count on it......

Both google and apple have admitted that they are tracking location despite location services being disabled.....so if the phone is continueing to track then why would you presume that apps wouldnt?

drgrant and Frizzle Fry like this.

2. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I just keep my flip phone in a lead box. Jack.

PaulR and Reptile like this.
  3. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Because if they could, they would be writing the apps so that they can continue to function even if location is disabled. I develop software, and have played around a bit with Android (it is not my primary platform by far)... there's no API there that'll get the live GPS info when it's turned off. Go install IntelliJ, create the Hello World app, and then try to make the API calls that return GPS info... you'll see it doesn't work very well if GPS is off. The class is called LocationManager. You basically attach a listener there and then get notified of events when GPS location changes (it's approximately once a second). You can read about it here:

Location strategies  |  Android Developers

But, do watch out for the getLastKnownLocation() method... even if GPS is turned off, this method can return the last place it knew where it was before being turned off, which may be of interest to an app.

4. jpk

jpk

Where there's a will....there's a way

Google collects Android users' locations even when location services are disabled

And the difference between a great deal of software and malware is fuzzy at best.....

5. Nhusa

Nhusa

Those apps are GREAT because i can't remember where I was last night and they tell me where my cars keys are!

falcon123 likes this.
  6. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Take all apps of your good personal phone, then go buy burner phone

jpk likes this.
  7. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Wanna see something scary?

Go to Google maps a d turn the tracking ON. You will be able to see all your activity for the past several months when tracking was supposed to be OFF.

So, it was never OFF.

It will show you everything, when you were one car, when you were walking, it will show a map of the areas you walked, when you were sleeping, when you were active but not moving...

If you try this, I recommend you tell a Loberal to do it on their phone and take a look, I dont think youc an turn it OFF after. Although...it is never really OFF.

If you want to stay off the grid, or at least make it somewhat hard to track, get rid of your phone and PC. Dont use Email. Only pay cash, no cards.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  8. 1776

1776 NES Member

I clear my browsing history after I visit any site and before I shut down my computer. I frequently get a popup from my anti-virus scanning SW telling me that I need to rescan. So...I guess their now using the anti-virus to collect and send any info they can before they do a fake browsing history wipe. How strange it is that the adds still keep coming after you do a wipe. Doing it frequently yourself makes them itchy scratchy! My company ahole stooge boss asked if I frequently work in two locations in my house.

9. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

That's because google wrote the OS and has no trouble bypassing little annoyances to them, like the user thinking he doesn't want location active. And, they do not have the integrity to let you know this is even happening. So yes, you can assume google is keeping track of your location even when location services are off. But, regular old apps by 3rd parties are not going to be doing this unless they discover a bug.

10. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Well that little feature that supposedly lets you turn off location history, all that does is hide it from you. Of course they still track it.

If I did all the things you suggested to avoid being tracked, how would I use NES when on the go? Those $5 flip phones from the dollar store that work with Tracfone don't do NES.

11. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Clearing the browser history is next to useless and will do essentially nothing that you are looking to do. About its only use is to clear up some disk space and also hide your history from family members. Plus, it is annoying to do, and unnecessary... some browsers have settings to clear cookies every time you close it. But, still I wouldn't bother. I'd recommend installing the Brave browser. It comes with built-in ad block which will reduce but not eliminate the amount of tracking it does to try to show you ads. For example, if you go to amazon and look at a sexy dress, then go to facebook suddenly there is an ad for that sexy dress... the Brave browser doesn't seem to stop that since I still get them.

12. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

jpk likes this.
  13. 1776

1776 NES Member

I always wipe after sitting, before I get up

Reptile and KBCraig like this.
  14. jpk

jpk

There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of all malware written for mobile devices is being written for android/google........

Android is an open source OS........

Report: 97% Of Mobile Malware Is On Android. This Is The Easy Way You Stay Safe

15. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

16. 1776

1776 NES Member

Did Al Gore address the unregulated wild west of spying on internet users?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  17. jpk

jpk

I suspect its on his to do list to be worked on while flying on his private jet later today

18. 1776

1776 NES Member

He must be flying over his $8m flat roof house with no solar panels on it to do an energy savings assessment on our dime

19. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

It is a tough tradeoff. Get tracked, or live without NES fashion and relationship advice.

Prepper and Reptile like this.
  20. fencer

fencer NES Member

Makes a guy want to take the ex-wife's phone when he goes on that killing spree.

M60 likes this.
  21. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Not entirely, IP geolocation is always on, not really a service though. Only way to f*** with that is to use a vpn all the time but that's cumbersome.

Back in the day BlackBerry offered some protection from this because every BB app was talking through a proxy in Canada....

22. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

Nope. That would be FCC.

DarkNet likes this.
  23. jpk

jpk

Dont forget about most current gen cars......

Most have GPS and most have a cell modem in them.....just like your phone does......