• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

your all-time favorite knife

I like spydercos and benchmades for the most parts, as they seem to work well for me. But, if I ever had the cash, there are some crazy blades out there......Anyways, here some pics of some of my favorites

001-6.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

My personal favorite, although not used much, is my original Cold Steel Tanto. Brass pommel and guard. I had one in the Army, that was stolen after I got out. Several years ago it got replaced with a NOS Tanto. My original got me out of a few jams in Atlanta.

Case Trapper, circa 1975
CaseKnife.jpg

Picked it up in Port Hueneme at the base PX and its been at my side for the last 36 years, ...well 34. I lost it for a year in the early 90's in between moves and it was badly rusted when I recovered it. Brought it back to life with lots of Kroil and a wire brush. A year ago I found it's twin in pristine condition at the Manchester Gun show.

I've got two..

One is owned by a close friend. Damascus blade (or as authentic as you can get) that I gave him, which he then put a bone handle on

47b5302d-8ac6-b2bd.jpg

47b5302d-8ad6-2db7.jpg

47b5302d-8ae0-7e3e.jpg

And my Kershaw Leek with composite blade

47b5302d-8b2b-30eb.jpg

Leatherman. I had an original I got in the 80s but lost about 10 years ago. I still miss it. Replaced it with the Wave and I've used it on four continents doing all sorts of engineering projects. I take care of it and it looks and works as good as new.

I detest the swiss army knifes.

This knife isn't as fancy as some of you guy's bigger knives, but it has never let me down and was the best $50 bucks I ever spent. Its a Buck multi tool. Pliers, flat and philips screw driver, and a can opener thats great for getting crud from finger nails lol. I originally got it as a xmas gift for a girlfriends father. She broke up with me 2 weeks before xmas so I kept the gift.

2011-11-30_10-32-52_703.jpg

From a utility perspective, for many years it was my Swiss Champ. Now, I give the nod to the Leatherman Wave. Together, they have about every small tool you could ever need.

ETA: This forum must have magical powers: I didn't insert that link. I hope NES gets paid for that.

Last edited:
i would have to say this guy:

CR-6763.jpg

because i had it over 10 years, and it treated me good. opened its fair share of pop-tops too. i dont carry it anymore because i dont like the combo edge and moved onto the CRKT Summa plain edge. that is quickly becoming my favorite.

i would have to say this guy:

View attachment 22552

because i had it over 10 years, and it treated me good. opened its fair share of pop-tops too. i dont carry it anymore because i dont like the combo edge and moved onto the CRKT Summa plain edge. that is quickly becoming my favorite.

The point guard wow. I haven't seen one of those in a while.

Emerson_Bullnose_Kbit_Blog.jpg
Rare find of mine, Emerson Bullnose Karambit.
I only has a 2.7 inch blade, but it's like a dream knife.
It has all the best traits of a Karambit with a utility blade.

Also I just picked up this Spyderco, the Yojimbo 2.
Spyderco_Yojimbo_2_for_sale.jpg

smitty

Last edited:
My favorite knife is the Marble "V 42". This knife was made for a special ops unit in WWII. The attrition rate was so high for this unit that few of these knives remain. They have a long double edged stilleto blade and a sharp "skull crusher" on the pommel. I have a copy made by an ex SF knife maker. I wish I had a camera to post a pic; these knives are pure evil.

CRKT M-16. But I have lots to choose from.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I was heavy into Case knives and other asst. collectables for a while. The Case mini Coke bottle design (on the left) was my fav and I got every one I could find with the exception of a mother of pearl model.

20111204204104.jpg

Of course this was all pre-LTC/C&R days so my collector urge was based on steel. Why else could I justify spending $1500 on a Conan sword from Albion Swords!? Because Jody Samson had a hand in making every one of them.

Then came guns and my quest for edged steel was left behind. One blade I still treasure is a well worn Balisong I purchased over 25 years ago. I carried it for years and it served me well.

20111204204352.jpg

Great taste.

I was heavy into Case knives and other asst. collectables for a while. The Case mini Coke bottle design (on the left) was my fav and I got every one I could find with the exception of a mother of pearl model.

20111204204104.jpg

Of course this was all pre-LTC/C&R days so my collector urge was based on steel. Why else could I justify spending $1500 on a Conan sword from Albion Swords!? Because Jody Samson had a hand in making every one of them.

Then came guns and my quest for edged steel was left behind. One blade I still treasure is a well worn Balisong I purchased over 25 years ago. I carried it for years and it served me well.

20111204204352.jpg

So ill ask, because this threads caught my eye.

Do any of you carry a knife specifically for defensive purposes?

If so, what do you recommend for a concealable blade for that purpose?

How about the "assisted opening" knives?

How or what do you use to train with as far as a blade is concerned?

There are times when I'm not permitted to carry a firearm and I would like some sort of defensive weapon that I could become proficient with....

Edit: I will add that I would like a quality knife, but dont really want a $200-$300 investment. Are the $100ish knives even any good ( crkt was one brand I was looking at )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom