• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Young Children and Guns in the Home

Children and Guns: The Fear and the Reality | National Review Online

"Asking neighbors about guns not only strains relationships, it also exaggerates the dangers and ignores the benefits from guns. In the end, some good might come out of all this gun phobia: If your neighbor asks if you own a gun, rather than sarcastically asking whether they own a space heater, why not teach them about guns and offer to go to a shooting range together?"

Also...
http://johnrlott.tripod.com/whitney.pdf

"It is frequently assumed that safe-storage gun laws reduce accidental gun deathsand total suicides, while the possible impact on crime rates is ignored. We find no
support that safe-storage laws reduce either juvenile accidental gun deaths or suicides.
Instead, these storage requirements appear to impair people’s ability to use guns
defensively. Because accidental shooters also tend to be the ones most likely to
violate the new law, safe-storage laws increase violent and property crimes against
law-abiding citizens with no observable offsetting benefit in terms of reduced accidents or suicides."

"Asking neighbors about guns not only strains relationships, it also exaggerates the dangers and ignores the benefits from guns. In the end, some good might come out of all this gun phobia: If your neighbor asks if you own a gun, rather than sarcastically asking whether they own a space heater, why not teach them about guns and offer to go to a shooting range together?"

Funny.....my neighbors don't have to ask if I own guns. When I get back from the range and they are out in the neighborhood I certainly don't hide the 2 shotgun cases, 1 rifle case and range bag from sight as I carry it back into the house! IF they don't like it....too bad.....if they want to ask about my fire arms I'll be glad to tell them how I spend my spare time in a polite professional manner. But........one of my neighbors gave me the hairy eyeball as my son carried his older 20 guage break open to the trunk.....oh well.

I carry to and from work, my wife knows the safe combo. Besides that everything is locked up unless it's getting worked on. I would like to see my neighbors kid assemble my 1911. I would give him $10 to go to Friendlies with and buy some ice cream. But my shop is also dead bolted shut.
When I am home the 870 is next to the bed until the next morning when it goes into the safe. I don't live in the south anymore where I had a display cabinet with a cheap lock on it. I had no neighbors except the family 200 yards down the dead end dirt road. If anybody that wasn't supposed to be there came and stayed, it wasn't for long. Lower Alabama, laws there are kind of implied. At the age of 8 you have shot a 12 ga and can take apart an AR clean it and put it back togeather better than a Basic Training Soldier. Makes me miss the south where the local Class III dealer bought a gas station and set up shop. I don't know how many people in MA have even seen a Class III dealer. I am happy that I can keep my non-compliant weapons in this iffy state. Jobs are much better here, health care is better, and education is better.

Also, my neighbors never look at their cousin and say 'that'll do'

Most of my neighbors know that I own firearms because I've mentioned it to many of them. I don't care, and no one has even intimated that they care either. I've even gotten one neighbor into shooting. It all depends on your character and how you approach people.

Most of my neighbors know that I own firearms because I've mentioned it to many of them. I don't care, and no one has even intimated that they care either. I've even gotten one neighbor into shooting. It all depends on your character and how you approach people.

WTSHTF they'll be your best friends.

I mean they'll TRY to be your best friends.

I would like to see my neighbors kid assemble my 1911. I would give him $10 to go to Friendlies with and buy some ice cream. But my shop is also dead bolted shut.
When I am home the 870 is next to the bed until the next morning when it goes into the safe. I don't live in the south anymore where I had a display cabinet with a cheap lock on it. I had no neighbors except the family 200 yards down the dead end dirt road. If anybody that wasn't supposed to be there came and stayed, it wasn't for long. Lower Alabama, laws there are kind of implied. At the age of 8 you have shot a 12 ga and can take apart an AR clean it and put it back togeather better than a Basic Training Soldier. Makes me miss the south where the local Class III dealer bought a gas station and set up shop. I don't know how many people in MA have even seen a Class III dealer. I am happy that I can keep my non-compliant weapons in this iffy state. Jobs are much better here, health care is better, and education is better.

Also, my neighbors never look at their cousin and say 'that'll do'

Does your wife have a license?

"
Funny.....my neighbors don't have to ask if I own guns. When I get back from the range and they are out in the neighborhood I certainly don't hide the 2 shotgun cases, 1 rifle case and range bag from sight as I carry it back into the house! IF they don't like it....too bad.....if they want to ask about my fire arms I'll be glad to tell them how I spend my spare time in a polite professional manner. But........one of my neighbors gave me the hairy eyeball as my son carried his older 20 guage break open to the trunk.....oh well.

neighbor behind me was smoking on his back porch, which looks in on the window at the bottom of my staircase..... was bringing my AR down to my workbench in the basement from the second floor and i thought the guy was gonna swallow his cigarette :)

My neighbors thought I was the "crazy gun guy" down the street till we had a gang fight in front of my house. They all called me scared

Last week while unloading my "sniper rifle" a neighbor asked what huge instrument I had. Told him it was a long range acquisition rifle. They laughed. So I opened the case. The went "oooooohhhhhh". Funny

5upusyty.jpg

Some people give their kids puzzles. This is the puzzle I gave my son at the family get together mothers day

What's it to you ? What you gonna do ? Start a dossier on him and call DHS ? [troll]

No. Just was trying to avoid someone being jammed up for an off the cuff comment that'll soon be moot.

Last edited:
No. If his wife has the combo but not license she has access. And there are those who read this forum whom could use that against him. If he answered no I would have PMed him about it so some fancy pants bureaucrat in MA doesn't **** him over because of an internet post. Holy shit you try to help someone out and you got peeps lined up to try and jack you up. Kiss my ass.

Remind me to never do any of you a favor or help out. More likely to get bitched at than thanked.

I think part of the issue is you inadvertently made him out his wife in a public forum. It would have been better to put a reminder about the potential access issue or sent him a pm about it.

I think part of the issue is you inadvertently made him out his wife in a public forum. It would have been better to put a reminder about the potential access issue or sent him a pm about it.

It's funny, but I read the some post about the wife having the combo and I simply assumed "of course" she is licensed.

A PM probably would have sufficed as a friendly heads-up, though.

No. And there are those who read this forum whom could use that against him.

And that's the way 99.99% of the time it goes here. People gots big noses.

Geez you shoulda seen the bru-ha-ha that happened the night I said I left my 1911 on the nightstand (when I lived in Ma.) when I went to sleep.

Every FUDD and girly-man here peed their pants at the same time.

It was hilarious

Geez you shoulda seen the bru-ha-ha that happened the night I said I left my 1911 on the nightstand (when I lived in Ma.) when I went to sleep.

It was hilarious

I apologize. I didn't mean to snap back just was really frustrated that I got grief for trying to help out. After the last thread involving Baikal or your own experience I can see why you replied the way you did. Going to edit post accordingly.

It was hilarious

On the nightstand? Hell, I tuck it under my wife's thigh! It's okay though, because both the gun and the thigh are under my direct control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

neighbor behind me was smoking on his back porch, which looks in on the window at the bottom of my staircase..... was bringing my AR down to my workbench in the basement from the second floor and i thought the guy was gonna swallow his cigarette :)

My son (14) was walking from the rifle range, to the clubhouse at my club, with an EBR.....a driver-by slowed waaaaayyyy down, and stared at him. My son waved.

The driver waved back, then found the gas pedal.

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom