• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You need to move to New Hampshire...

Speaking of healthcare, over in the Volinsky thread there's a link to the story @ WMUR. If you scroll down, there's another story from WCVB about a six-year-old stuck at Boston Children's waiting for a heart transplant. He wants Christmas cards. I have exactly one left from this year's - guess where it's going? [grin]

Last edited:
This MA/NH thing is just a microcosm of what's happening in this country.
Those of us that can are self-sorting. Moving to parts of the country to find allies, and in some cases like Californians, invading to spread their disease.

Lots of us are stuck and will have to wait until the last possible moment to move.

Colin Woodard's 2012 book breaks down the U.S. into 11 different nations. And for those that don't know, at it's heart, a nation is an extended family sharing like values and culture.
Here's the Business Insider summary article from the 4th. Be ready to go. Mass is a lost cause.

Does this take into account the massive third world immigration,legal and illegal, for the past 40 years ?

The only thing saving NH right now if Sununu. Your governor you there is actually a Republican that will VETO all the liberal BS unlike Faker Chuckie Baker here in MA who is a useless piece of crap.

Exactly how are you stuck?
Maybe someone has a successful small business that took years to establish, maybe someone has an elderly parent or family member that needs assistance, maybe someone has a kid who is settled in at a public school and doesn’t want to disrupt that, there could be many reasons.

You see this is the problem with this discussion. Most people think that everyone should GTFO and there is absolutely no reason to stay. If you fled MA for NH I certainly understand why, because it was worth it to you. Why is it so hard for some to understand that for some people it is just not worth it???

I haven’t been on this forum for very long, I read it a lot and then after my recent retirement I had plenty of free time so I joined up. One of the things that initially intrigued me about NES was the way it brought everybody together around here in our fight to protect our 2A rights, from both the free states and the not so free ones (MA in particular). But unfortunately it has seemed to turn into a competition NH vs. MA and who can get the hell out of MA the fastest. It’s too bad because we have a strong presence here, but if we want to compete rather than work together we might as well kiss all our 2A rights goodbye, no matter what state you live in.

That is a "Choice" that you have made. Far from being "Stuck".

It's a cost benefit/value prop thing. Blowing lots of shit up just to leave usually isn't smart. It's different for everyone. Most of the folks I know that left hit it with an appropriate timing for them...

Yeah, but who the hell wants to live in North Adams?
(my apologies to any NESers from NA)

True dat, but there's still a half dozen or more towns out there you could move to and at least momentarily not believe you're still in MA.... 🤣

Yeah, but who the hell wants to live in North Adams?
(my apologies to any NESers from NA)
OK, before we start with the western MA hill town jokes let me make on thing perfectly clear, I do NOT have and old washing machine on my front porch, or a V8 engine hanging from a come a long off a tree, So I am not an official hill town hick.[smile]

OK, before we start with the western MA hill town jokes let me make on thing perfectly clear, I do NOT have and old washing machine on my front porch, or a V8 engine hanging from a come a long off a tree, So I am not an official hill town hick.[smile]
Is your car on blocks? Your house on wheels?
I've been in these hills since '73 and they are dying. They are old mill towns with no mills any more. MA makes it too hard for businesses to do business and now they are gone along with all the blue collar jobs.

It's a cost benefit/value prop thing. Blowing lots of shit up just to leave usually isn't smart. It's different for everyone. Most of the folks I know that left hit it with an appropriate timing for them...

If you really want to "get out", then just do it. Making excuses for why you don't are just that, excuses. Yeah, yeah, I know. Family, work, kids, school, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just excuses. I know this as fact. Me and my family decided we had enough of the rat race and simply picked up and moved. Put our house up for sale, quit our jobs, sold our business, packed our shit and left dodge. It was the best thing we ever did. Our lives and frame of mind is so much better. So please do not tell me it can't be done. I know for a fact it can.

If you really want to "get out", then just do it. Making excuses for why you don't are just that, excuses. Yeah, yeah, I know. Family, work, kids, school, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just excuses. I know this as fact. Me and my family decided we had enough of the rat race and simply picked up and moved. Put our house up for sale, quit our jobs, sold our business, packed our shit and left dodge. It was the best thing we ever did. Our lives and frame of mind is so much better. So please do not tell me it can't be done. I know for a fact it can.

It's not an "excuse" my whole point was -value prop- EG, is the juice worth the squeeze? and for some people, it just isn't. Everyone's means of determining this is
different. It's literally that simple. I for one don't get up every morning and armflap about "woe is me, I live in MA, wah wah wah". I know I'm sure as hell not
retiring here, but right now, the value prop is mostly a wash. Next year or two though, the numbers, business, etc, will change and I can easily justify doing it. For someone
else there might be a different set of circumstances a lot more difficult than mine, etc.

-Mike

@Racenet what did you have for a business and what did you end up doing when you moved? I ask because I too am a business owner, in the process of figuring out how to wind it all down in under five years. Pete

It's not an "excuse" my whole point was -value prop- EG, is the juice worth the squeeze? and for some people, it just isn't. Everyone's means of determining this is
different. It's literally that simple. I for one don't get up every morning and armflap about "woe is me, I live in MA, wah wah wah". I know I'm sure as hell not
retiring here, but right now, the value prop is mostly a wash. Next year or two though, the numbers, business, etc, will change and I can easily justify doing it. For someone
else there might be a different set of circumstances a lot more difficult than mine, etc.

-Mike

Well, sometimes you need to bleed to make things better and move forward. Even if moving forward means moving backwards. Sometimes people put more thought into things that really isn't needed. My family makes a fraction of what it made back in the rat race, but we are better off for it and wouldn't have changed a thing.

@Racenet what did you have for a business and what did you end up doing when you moved? I ask because I too am a business owner, in the process of figuring out how to wind it all down in under five years. Pete

Custom computers and networking, along with programming and other related services for insurance companies, lawyer offices, graphic arts/video companies and the like. Did something like that for awhile after moving, then had enough of that crap as it was the same shit, different place.

From the time we decided where we wanted to move to, until the time we were gone was just under a year.

Custom computers and networking, along with programming and other related services for insurance companies, lawyer offices, graphic arts/video companies and the like. Did something like that for awhile after moving, then had enough of that crap as it was the same shit, different place.

From the time we decided where we wanted to move to, until the time we were gone was just under a year.

Congrats. It takes balls to call it quits and you have to check your ego at the door too. It is tough to let it go. Our plan is to actually retire when we do this. Figuring out how much is enough is part I. We have run the numbers and have the target set. Now we need to hit it.

If you want it bad enough, you can make it happen. Otherwise, it is just an excuse. I know, since I did it.

Dude, it's not a flipping excuse.
Selling a dental practice isn't like selling a house. And besides I would walk away with probably $1.99 in my pocket at this point because of a construction loan and other associated debts.

Moving just ain't in the budget. But when I do, it won't be to NH. It will be somewhere warm.

But that's ok. Enjoy the weather up there on your horse.

After selling your house and business, did you buy a house in NH? If so, would you have still made the move if you couldn't afford to buy in NH and had to rent an apartment? For some, even if they own in MA, and sell, they may have a net loss and not be able to afford to buy in NH. Especially if they now don't have a job.

I'd like to move to NH someday, I've got at least a year to finish renovations to my house here before I could sell it. I don't own it outright, so would need to make sure I can afford a similar mortgage in NH with whatever I might end up doing for a job there. If I keep doing what I am doing now, I also need to make sure I am in a town with solid high speed internet to work from home. All obstacles, hopefully that I can manage.

Dude, it's not a flipping excuse.
Selling a dental practice isn't like selling a house. And besides I would walk away with probably $1.99 in my pocket at this point because of a construction loan and other associated debts.

Moving just ain't in the budget. But when I do, it won't be to NH. It will be somewhere warm.

But that's ok. Enjoy the weather up there on your horse.
BRO, STOP MAKING EXCUSES, GO BROKE IF YOU HAVE TO!!!

tenor (1).gif

The COL as a generality in the northeast is terrible, but in the "495/95/93 cup" regions especially the housing costs are starting to go full retard California.... but I think there will be another bust before it gets that bad. The reason this is the way it is, salaries are relatively high for a lot of jobs and banks keep handing out money like candy for home loans, and people sniff the glue fumes instead of making more conservative spending decisions as a result..... etc etc ad nauseam.

-Mike
I pray it tanks again.

After selling your house and business, did you buy a house in NH? If so, would you have still made the move if you couldn't afford to buy in NH and had to rent an apartment? For some, even if they own in MA, and sell, they may have a net loss and not be able to afford to buy in NH. Especially if they now don't have a job.

I'd like to move to NH someday, I've got at least a year to finish renovations to my house here before I could sell it. I don't own it outright, so would need to make sure I can afford a similar mortgage in NH with whatever I might end up doing for a job there. If I keep doing what I am doing now, I also need to make sure I am in a town with solid high speed internet to work from home. All obstacles, hopefully that I can manage.

Put the house up for sale, bought the house in NH the following week and sold the business to 2 of my employees. We were outta there regardless of any sales.

Back
Top Bottom