• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You need to move to New Hampshire...

MA is pretty unaffordable now. Crazy politics aside, the cost of living there isnt worth it in my opinion.

The COL as a generality in the northeast is terrible, but in the "495/95/93 cup" regions especially the housing costs are starting to go full retard California.... but I think there will be another bust before it gets that bad. The reason this is the way it is, salaries are relatively high for a lot of jobs and banks keep handing out money like candy for home loans, and people sniff the glue fumes instead of making more conservative spending decisions as a result..... etc etc ad nauseam.

-Mike

The way you describe it, you have, Maura at your back.

I'm the bait...

iu

I have been in Mass my entire life. My parents are in Mass. My business is in Mass. I need to get out of Mass. It goes way beyond 2A. Watching the news each morning makes me cringe. Everyday a new tax or new law is proposed... every day. Traffic is getting worse by the day. I have a dilemma. I am very close to my parents. I visit them four times a week. They are in good health but in their late seventies. I am in my early fifties. I really do not want to leave them behind when they may need me the most. But I am running the numbers and anticipating what traffic, laws, taxes and the population will be like here in ten years. I do not want to leave them behind but there is no way in hell I am still going to be here in ten years. This place is done. Nobody is ever turning this place around. I will fly back as needed to help out.

We live a simple life. We enjoy fishing, hunting, shooting, hiking, cooking things from scratch, gardening.... you get it. Basically, we are the outliers in this community. As my mom said last week to me, "honey, you were born a 100 years too late". I figure my wife and I have 30 years left to live. We worked very hard to get where we are, and we hope to retire by age 57. We are trying to figure where we can go and be happy for the last few decades we have left. New England will not make the cut. Even NH will be cooked in ten years or so.

I am at wits end hearing this bullshit. I am on the front lines here in Massachusetts doing everything possible to educate this new generation on the 2nd Amendment. I volunteer my time, my days off and my money in this fight. I am so sick of hearing that I should move out of Mass from people sitting behind their computers in their 2nd Amendment safe space. My friends in Virginia are about to feel the Massachusetts on Monday. Liberal Ma**h***s are moving to New Hampshire in droves. It's only a matter of time. Do your part. Stand up and Fight. Support each other. Educate this new generation. We are all in this together. They are coming for all of us once they regain control in the White House.

Rant Over....

Purchase a raffle ticket to help out Monadnock Rod and Gun Club. PayPal ([email protected]) Only $21.00...

New Hampshire is turning into just a more wooded version of Mass

While I'd love to entertain the idea of moving back to MA, I have some issues with that. First, the house I sold in MA is now worth $250,000 more than what I sold it for. That's more than I can afford so I cant' even buy my old house back. And, it was among the lowest priced houses in eastern MA without getting into bad neighborhoods and dumps. So, I'm priced out of the market. Second, half the guns that I moved out of MA with are now illegal if I move back. So, I would have to dump them. Third, it is so much better here living in rural NH than in a mediocre suburb of Boston with shitty neighbors having wild parties all night long while just standing outside in their yard screaming for no reason and then doing the gay sex thing (not that there is anything wrong with that) in their vehicles parked in front of my house. Fourth, my wife wouldn't have a job anymore.

If it's any consolation, I do own a manufactured home in MA that my mother lives in in a 55+ community, but I'm not yet old enough to be allowed to live there.
Your problem was living in eastern mass,
MA rules, laws, taxes, suck, but west of 495 there are some great affordable places to live, I get sick just driving beyond the 495 belt, could not imagine living out there.

I fought in MA and MA won. I fought for the community as a whole but also for my own situation, having been called "unsuitable", something I still wish I could remove as it it both wrong and a stain on my reputation that I find intolerable. But it takes money, more than I have. So I had a choice, move to NH or continue to live under their thumb.

While I applaud those that continue the fight in MA, I also see the benefits of getting off of that sinking ship. My focus now is protecting NH's freedom, I've seen what can happen and I don't want to watch it happen again.

I'm in much the same boat up here in Maine. Although we are leaving for a year for family reasons.

I'm still around three years from paying off all the credit card debt accumulated while enjoying the freedoms of MA. I do find myself able to give more and more to Comm2a each year. Was only a token last year, but I'm planning on doubling that; n 2020.

I will do my best to spread word and send back what I can. We just wouldn't have been able to keep on in MA. The medical situation and pay was too difficult to mitigate circumstances. The chance of MCFS taking our son was real, and we had zip for support structure.

Funny thing is, without MA and its high paying jobs that NH border residents flock to, I don't think NH could exist in its current state.

Same thing with RI.
NH is small business friendly. I started a small engine repair biz up here and it's growth is meteoric. Lot's of home based businesses up here and people like the personalized service. We go the extra mile for our customers and we get most of our business through word of mouth. No government interference, low taxes, low overhead make it easy to make a living up here.

NH is small business friendly. I started a small engine repair biz up here and it's growth is meteoric. Lot's of home based businesses up here and people like the personalized service. We go the extra mile for our customers and we get most of our business through word of mouth. No government interference, low taxes, low overhead make it easy to make a living up here.

No doubt..But I am talking about businesses in MA (healthcare,biotech,IT etc.)that employ hundreds of people and pay a lot of money.

I read a bunch of threads on NES about people wondering about the commute living in NH and working South Shore etc.

It's a love hate relationship IMO..People hate MA for the politics, but love the money they make working in MA that enables them to live in NH and enjoy their idea of what freedom is.

Don't get me wrong, if I was younger I would move to NH just for the suppressors..At this point in my life time is more valuable than money, and I don't want to spend 4hrs a day commuting.

You can always make more money, but you can't make more time.

Last edited:
No doubt..But I am talking about businesses in MA (healthcare,biotech,IT etc.)that employ hundreds of people and pay a lot of money.

I read a bunch of threads on NES about people wondering about the commute living in NH and working South Shore etc.

It's a love hate relationship IMO..People hate MA for the politics, but love the money they make working in MA that enables them to live in NH and enjoy their idea of what freedom is.

Don't get me wrong, if I was younger I would move to NH just for the suppressors..At this point in my life time is more valuable than money, and I don't want to spend 4hrs a day commuting.

What I am saying is that you don't need a ton of money to live here. I worked in high tech ( military, biomed, R&D) for 35 years, made a shitload of money, paid a shitload in taxes and cost of living. Up here, costs are low so making a huge amount of money is not a determining factor. I should have moved here decades ago.

Your problem was living in eastern mass,
MA rules, laws, taxes, suck, but west of 495 there are some great affordable places to live, I get sick just driving beyond the 495 belt, could not imagine living out there.

Yes I agree. There are lots of towns south of me in central MA that otherwise look reasonable to live in, and much lower housing costs, other than the detail they are subjected to the usual MA insanity.

This........ Come out to the western part of the state. Spend some time here, enjoy the rural atmosphere, get out in the woods, get you unrestricted LTC no problem. It is sooooooo different out here. ;)

And watch all your money get sucked up for Boston bullshit.

I’ve been trying to get out for a long time. Finally about to pull the trigger. 2A is the least of my reasons for moving out of MA: taxes, crime, too many people and shitty weather (warm winters and hot summers). I’m looking to get to an area where there’s more game animals than people and I’ll hear more French than Spanish when I’m out and about.

Long term plan is retiring in Northern Maine. I figure NH is a good intermediate step.

So what if we succeed in 2A rights in MA? We’re still here with plenty of other reasons to be miserable.

This........ Come out to the western part of the state. Spend some time here, enjoy the rural atmosphere, get out in the woods, get you unrestricted LTC no problem. It is sooooooo different out here. ;)
I'd love too, can you give me any leads on a Sr.Level IT position within a 30 minute commute..... No? So it's the same reason I don't live on 40 acres in northern NH or Maine.

You are right. The major employment groups are in MA, centered around Boston/Cambridge and the commute is brutal unless you can make your own odd hours.

My Wife works for the largest medical conglomerate and is being forced to retire when we hire the moving van to bring all our furniture to our NH home. Her current 1 hr each way commute would become at least 2 hours (in good weather and we're still talking commuter rail/subway) . . . car would be 2+ hours each way normally. Right now in MA it is 11+ hrs from when she leaves for work and gets home. We're getting too old to add another couple hours to that for a NH to MA commute.

For 13 years I worked for DEC in Maynard and it was a 3 hr/day commute . . . but I was a lot younger then. It still took a toll on me but I tolerated it. When the layoff hit, I swore that I'd never do that again!!

I'll address the "why escape to NH" in the next reply.

Why not stick it out in MA and fight?

- I became politically active in the 2A battle in 1976 when I got my first FID and LTC.
- I have worked on 3 AG campaigns that went nowhere.
- I have worked on a Representative's campaign a number of times, two Senator campaigns (these people were elected and re-elected). I have met one-on-one with these people in additon to the prior Senate Co-Chair of the Public Safety Committee.
- I have written the letters, made the phone calls, called and talked with them personally, etc.
- I attended 2 of the 3 large GOAL rallies post-1998 GCA.
- I volunteered for GOAL for many years.
- I attended the anti-gun bill hearings for >20 years, testifying at almost every one of them.
- I am a realist and realize that GOAL does a terrific job of PREVENTING many disastrous bills from passing, BUT GOAL and gun owners do not have the political clout in MA to roll back all the lost ground that we have suffered over the years. Even Comm2A (which also does a fantastic job) is finding it difficult to attack the problem thru the Federal Court system.
- As an officially retired LEO and long-time collector of guns, I could live with the stupidity of our gun laws in MA even though I hate them.

Why NH?

- In retirement, I wanted to do something that I truly enjoyed and that is teaching those willing and wanting to learn about our horrendous gun laws in MA. Since I have been studying them and answering questions about them for >40 years. It doesn't make me any real money, but I do enjoy doing it, so I created my Mass Gun Law by and for Non-Lawyers Seminar back in 2011.
- If there is any non-MA market for my seminar, it has to be near the Mass border, where people commute to jobs in MA, friends/relatives in MA and need to be aware of the arcane laws that can land someone in prison for a spent .22LR casing found in their car (just one of many examples). Also, since I was always teaching it in SE Mass, it now gives an opportunity for those in the North Shore to attend the seminar with a shorter commute.

My real reasons for leaving MA are a lot deeper than gun issues!

- As one gets older one starts thinking about "what if" medical issues. The best medical care in the world is right here in Boston. Kings/Princes and other despots fly their families to Boston when they have serious medical problems. They could go anywhere but you won't find them going to FL, SC, etc. for their treatments! So we wanted to be close enough that if the need arose we could get that very best medical care.
- MA has a very regressive inheritance tax structure. If all your assets exceed $1Million when you die (and houses are worth a very large part of that in much of Eastern MA), the inheritance tax STARTS at 16% (from the first dollar) and the tax rate increases if you have more assets. So those that saved/invested and did well through-out their lives and hope to pass on their money to an heir cause a lot of it to be wasted on the corrupt Mass DOR/gov't waste machine. NH has no inheritance tax.
- MA continues to pass more and more laws restricting freedoms (not just 2A), increasing taxes/tolls/etc. and creating new taxes.
- MA politicians are "lifers" and roll out with huge pensions and benefits programs. Many have never worked a "real job" in their entire lives. They pass laws that exempt themselves and have no idea how those laws impact normal citizens.
- NH, in contrast pays their part-time legislators $100 or $200/yr (I've heard both numbers), so they all work for a living in the "real world" and are impacted by the laws that they pass. That generally results in more conservative approaches to the "we have to pass a new law" syndrome that MA legislators suffer.
- And yes, the gun laws are a lot better than MA! That's a real understatement.
- My Wife and I are Life Members of GOAL and we are still interested in what happens in MA even after we are gone. I will get active in the 2A scene in NH, that is a certainty. One must be forever vigilant no matter what state you live in!!
- Many years ago a friend told me "the snow doesn't know where the state line is" in response to the oft-heard statement that NH has a lot worse Winters than MA. At least near the border, the weather isn't much different than MA (up in the mountain region this wouldn't be true). And some of us (me) can't tolerate the constant high humidity and high temperatures of places like FL.

YMMV

People in NH fail to see that the front line is currently in MA. If this line falls, their OpA is next.
View attachment 317036
You form a defensive line that you can truly defend. The NH border is that line for many of us.

When you can attend a Chamber of Commerce open house (to the public) and actually get to talk with 3 of your own state reps for an hour or so . . . and they are your neighbors, live and work in your NH neighborhood just like you (not in an ivory tower - DC, or exempt from most of the laws they pass like MA and generally unreachable personally), it is a lot easier to defend that front. My Wife and I independently did just that in October and two of them are neighbors (2 streets away) . . . the irony is both are firearms instructors as well!

Unless finances force me otherwise I'll be sticking around. Maybe SCOTUS can deliver us from this evil.

SCOTUS is not going to save you from the f***tardery of the corrupt government...like the new green gas tax. They can play this bullshit of the sky is falling due to pollution...until they start taxing me for their delusion.

When I get the chance...I am out..possibly next year depending on school choices. NH is an option...but so is NC, SC and green arrow

And watch all your money get sucked up for Boston bullshit.

I’ve been trying to get out for a long time. Finally about to pull the trigger. 2A is the least of my reasons for moving out of MA: taxes, crime, too many people and shitty weather (warm winters and hot summers). I’m looking to get to an area where there’s more game animals than people and I’ll hear more French than Spanish when I’m out and about.

Long term plan is retiring in Northern Maine. I figure NH is a good intermediate step.

So what if we succeed in 2A rights in MA? We’re still here with plenty of other reasons to be miserable.
If you are that miserable why are you still here?

I'd love too, can you give me any leads on a Sr.Level IT position within a 30 minute commute..... No? So it's the same reason I don't live on 40 acres in northern NH or Maine.
Actually Yes……From where I live it is 30mins to Westfield, 45mins to Springfield, and 50mins (and a very nice ride) to the Windsor CT corporate area where I worked with many "Sr.Level IT" people up until my retirement. So go ahead and sit in that eastern MA commuter traffic for a half hour and bitch about how you don’t want to move west and commute another 15min.

Back
Top Bottom