You need my LTC for that!

yeah what is up with that? I remember going to Michaels for some stuff and they had all the paint like locked up, I laughed at them when they came to open it.

It's like that everywhere. Some things are too dangerous to have out on the shelves while two towns over those are fine and something else is too dangerous. If you try to figure it out you will just hurt yourself.

In MA you can't buy beer at the gas station, ammo is locked up, but spray paint is out in the open.
In TX you can buy beer at the gas station, ammo is on the shelf, but spray paint is locked up.

You can't rent a car if you are under 25, but U-Haul will rent you a giant truck with questionable brakes at 18.

I have even seen it vary across stores in the same state. Western New York I could buy .22LR off the shelf all day long. Eastern New York .22LR was locked up behind the counter and I couldn't buy unless I had a pistol permit from NY State.

It's like that everywhere. Some things are too dangerous to have out on the shelves while two towns over those are fine and something else is too dangerous. If you try to figure it out you will just hurt yourself.

In MA you can't buy beer at the gas station, ammo is locked up, but spray paint is out in the open.
In TX you can buy beer at the gas station, ammo is on the shelf, but spray paint is locked up.

You can't rent a car if you are under 25, but U-Haul will rent you a giant truck with questionable brakes at 18.

I have even seen it vary across stores in the same state. Western New York I could buy .22LR off the shelf all day long. Eastern New York .22LR was locked up behind the counter and I couldn't buy unless I had a pistol permit from NY State
Since when can you not buy beer at the gas station in Mass? You have to be 21, but you can still buy it.

Yup. Got a reloading book a few weeks ago & they asked for my LTC. I said to the young woman that it is not a regulated item.

she replied kindly that it is now store policy to ID for anything Firearms related.

I purchased my book, and filed that away in my memory bank...
Just tell them you don't have one and see what happens.

I have even seen it vary across stores in the same state. Western New York I could buy .22LR off the shelf all day long. Eastern New York .22LR was locked up behind the counter and I couldn't buy unless I had a pistol permit from NY State.

It can vary in different parts of he same city. My daughter lived in south Austin and had to shop at he "sketchy" HEB. Further north, the same chain has a much better store because he neighborhood is more upscale.

The Home Depot near me sucks, but the ones in Bridgewater and Norwood are pretty good.

Location plays a big party in all of this.

It pops up on the screen for the cashier to ask. Contact corporate and complain.
Won't do any good. Corporate is the problem.

There are two prior Cabela's stories here of note:

1. Someone bought a coffee mug that the handle had the shape of a gun and a LTC was demanded.
2. Someone not from MA was denied the sale of an ammo can since they didn't have a resident LTC!

Both stories were posted here a number of years ago.

Corporations suck, too many rules without any thought. Cashier would probably be reprimanded if they didn't ask.
True. It's not their fault.
Do not patronize fudd organizations!
Best solution.
Next time just 5-finger discount the thing, buy your candy, BRCC, or those candied nuts Cabela’s use to sell and no ID required... 🤣
Are you sure? What is the shape? If small and round like BBs or long and looks like it could be loaded into a cartridge case they still may demand a LTC.

That I can see.... assuming you are in MA. It's a component of ammo..so MA wants to know!
I don't think it's because, "MA wants to know," so much as, since it's considered ammo [rolleyes] the LGS needs to do due diligence. I doubt that the sale is recorded and uploaded to The MAn.

As for Stupid Rules, a while back at the Solomon Pond Mall, Silly String could be sold at one end of the mall, and not at the other, as Berlin and Hudson, which each have part of the mall, have (or had) different laws.

yeah what is up with that? I remember going to Michaels for some stuff and they had all the paint like locked up, I laughed at them when they came to open it.
Place especially lock up the spray paint because the nit wits who "tag" everytyhing with graffiti tend to shop lift the cans of spray paint.

Been asked a couple times for my LTC at cabelas for non-regulated items. Told them to get the manager. Both times he said it wasn’t needed. Granted that was months ago so don’t know if its changed.

Was at Cabelas in Hudson last week, bought a hard rifle case and 8 ammo cans, nobody asked for any type of ID during check out.
You are lucky.

One time I tried to buy a bore snake and the cashier asked if I was depressed because he was afraid I was going to hang myself with it.
I told him that I don't blame him for asking since I can't find any ammo.

Sorry, maybe that should be in the Dark Humor thread...

You are lucky.

One time I tried to buy a bore snake and the cashier asked if I was depressed because he was afraid I was going to hang myself with it.
I told him that I don't blame him for asking since I can't find any ammo.

Sorry, maybe that should be in the Dark Humor thread...
I hate when strangers/cashiers or whatever try to make unwanted conversation like this, I get the resting bitch face like Really dude? Just STFU and ring me out please.

I don't think it's because, "MA wants to know," so much as, since it's considered ammo [rolleyes] the LGS needs to do due diligence. I doubt that the sale is recorded and uploaded to The MAn.

As for Stupid Rules, a while back at the Solomon Pond Mall, Silly String could be sold at one end of the mall, and not at the other, as Berlin and Hudson, which each have part of the mall, have (or had) different laws.
I thought that the mall is in Marlborough, on Donald Lynch Blvd. Am I thinking of a different mall?

I think you're just getting some non-gun people cashiers that have been trained to ask for ltc for everything to be on the safe side. I bought stuff today at Bass Pro, only thing that prompted her for ID was ammo. Rmember there are lots of people that take those types of jobs that are not outdoors people or gun people, lot of them aren't that bright either or could be very anti gun libtards just trying to make some extra money.

Last edited:
Some moons ago I went to ASS-PRO to buy some lead balls for my black powder pistol.
They asked me for my LTC I have not been back there since.

You have jousted with @namedpipes and others enough that your street cred would keep you on the island.

Start your own megathread?

Hey! How'd I get dragged into this? I think @VetteGirlMA rocks. I mean, other than her preference for those fake "sports cars".

If she liked something cool like Shelby Cobras, Mustangs or hell, even ANYTHING pre WWII, she'd be awesome

Back
Top Bottom