You need my LTC for that!

So what happens when someone without an LTC wants to buy the reloading book or case checker?
Manager called over? Over ride button? Sh!t outa luck?

At Cabelas I bought a hand priming tool, and I got carded for an LTC... [rofl] I just showed it briefly to the guy, and that was enough for him.

Having spent hours talking with Cabela's corporate lawyers (and Emailing them backup data) about MA laws before they opened in MA, it was all an exercise in futility. Don't know if they are still running the show after the BP take-over, but like most lawyers that I dealt with in my 21 yrs as a constable, I'm not impressed. Something about "you can't fix stupid".

It reminds me of when the MA GCA in 1998 took effect and Wal-Mart corporate lawyers put out a memo to all MA stores that they must require an FID for ammo purchases. Clerks were refusing people with LTCs, because the idiot lawyers weren't smart enough to include LTCs in the memo. I read the memo, as some stores posted it on the glass doors to the ammo cabinet.

Lol, well, Len, it also didn't help that for many years IIRC a lot of the Wal-Mart registers probably said some shit like "CHECK FID" on the screen. [rofl] And a lot of those clerks were
so brain dead they literally only do what the register tells them to do. I still remember a clerk from early 2000s literally picking up my LTC and looking at it again every time the register told him to do it. I think after about the 4th prompt (I was buying like 12 boxes of ammo) the guy was like "wait, this is stupid". It was as if he was expecting it to somehow change or disappear in the last 5 seconds since he scanned the previous box of ammo.... [rofl][/QUOTE]

Should have pulled the LGBTQ card and flopped around on the floor crying that you self identify as a POC lesbo sausage hanger and they would have pushed you out the door with the paperweight and a box of 9mm.

like I give a crap about that. Look, if people are going in and filling up carts with $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 worth of gun related crap but not guns or ammo and those carts are left at the front of the store and have to be restocked, sooner or later the higher ups will hear about it...
This, I've done it at Dicks(got a gift card) as well as a supermarket.

It's simple, don't want folks to enter the line at the supermarket checkout turn the light off. There was a check out kid when I got in line but at some point of me unloading the cart they disappeared. The kid that supervises the register folks saw me and said I could use the self check out because they needed the girl that was there to do something else. I asked if this had been decided before/after I had entered the line and he said before. When I asked why the light was still on he just shrugged and suggested I reload my cart and take it to the self check out lane. I mentioned I'd take the other option, I left it all on the belt and walked out.

Was it a dick move? Yup. Don't want it happen again, don't treat your customers like shit.

like I give a crap about that. Look, if people are going in and filling up carts with $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 worth of gun related crap but not guns or ammo and those carts are left at the front of the store and have to be restocked, sooner or later the higher ups will hear about it...

No. You're just making life difficult for those who are not responsible for making those decisions.

Meh, I might feel differently about someone abandoning a cart full of shit if there was signage "items in this area require valid MA LTC or FID to purchase" but I can easily see how this shit policy wastes someone's time. Like say some guy is on a business trip from out of state. Guy is going to lunch sees cabelas sign and is like "gee I wonder if they have X in stock, been looking for this RCBS powder dumper thing . Guy thinks "I don't have a gun license in MA but this really isnt a gun or ammo so should be nbd" Guy picks up unregulated items, goes to checkout, BAM, no stupid f***ing plastic card, no sale for unregulated item. The store just wasted X minutes of that guys time, maybe more if there was a line at checkout, etc. All because someone was too lazy to post a sign (or rescind a stupid policy).

Lol and of course the reason they wont post signage is obvious, because someone knows the policy is lame and doesnt want to get called out on it constantly. [rofl]

I don’t think the persons who classify things as requiring an FID or LTC knows their products. I saw a person buying a rack to hold reading materials (magazines - so it was literally a “magazine rack”) get asked for LTC. Manager quickly did an over ride ( or lied to computer) but everyone in line had a laugh. Ahh the pre COVID non social distancing days.

I'm sure it's in the UPC. The UPC tells the system what dept. the item is from. anything from a firearm related dept. will pop the "Ask for LTC" message. No way they have people wasting time going item by item and individually flagging them for an LTC check. It would be a never ending process as they get new items added to inventory constantly. Guaranteed it is a department based system. Corporate is going to go with the simplest route possible and the way I described requires no more than one, maybe 2, lines of code added to their software.

I forgot to add it's probably because Cabela's is being sued right now in New York. Some 19 yr old kid bought 45 for his rifle and accidentally shot and killed his friend showing it to him. In New York it's illegal for a teenager to buy pistol cartridges. They're trying to say the 45 was really for pistol and he should of never been sold the ammunition.

You guys remember when you were carded for all ammo and the dealer had to fill out a state form for it? If it was, "pistol" ammo, you needed a LTC. I always laughed at that because 30 cal carbine and 22LR was classified as, "rifle".

Bass Pro Shops Baitcast Fishing Pole BBQ Lighter
1644480_10210217_is

Meh, I might feel differently about someone abandoning a cart full of shit if there was signage "items in this area require valid MA LTC or FID to purchase" but I can easily see how this shit policy wastes someone's time. Like say some guy is on a business trip from out of state. Guy is going to lunch sees cabelas sign and is like "gee I wonder if they have X in stock, been looking for this RCBS powder dumper thing . Guy thinks "I don't have a gun license in MA but this really isnt a gun or ammo so should be nbd" Guy picks up unregulated items, goes to checkout, BAM, no stupid f***ing plastic card, no sale for unregulated item. The store just wasted X minutes of that guys time, maybe more if there was a line at checkout, etc. All because someone was too lazy to post a sign (or rescind a stupid policy).

Lol and of course the reason they wont post signage is obvious, because someone knows the policy is lame and doesnt want to get called out on it constantly. [rofl]
I remember the complaint of someone being carded to buy a coffee cup with a handle that looked like a gun grip in Cabela's. I could see unlicensed family/friends buying stuff like that as a gift and being refused the sale due to corporate stupidity.
I forgot to add it's probably because Cabela's is being sued right now in New York. Some 19 yr old kid bought 45 for his rifle and accidentally shot and killed his friend showing it to him. In New York it's illegal for a teenager to buy pistol cartridges. They're trying to say the 45 was really for pistol and he should of never been sold the ammunition.
Nope, this stupidity has been a thing since Cabela's opened in MA. An out of state person was refused sale of an empty ammo can due to lack of a MA LTC at the Berlin store.
BTW, I wanted to say "LTC required" for those AR-15, etc. rifle cigarette lighters
that were impulse-buy items by the cash registers at Reilly's (for one).

But Cabela's only carries the butane-powered bait casting rod;
at least now.
The AG put a stop to the sale of the gun-cig lighters in MA some years ago.

I don't think it's because, "MA wants to know," so much as, since it's considered ammo [rolleyes] the LGS needs to do due diligence. I doubt that the sale is recorded and uploaded to The MAn.

As for Stupid Rules, a while back at the Solomon Pond Mall, Silly String could be sold at one end of the mall, and not at the other, as Berlin and Hudson, which each have part of the mall, have (or had) different laws.
The Solomon Pond Mall is in Berlin/Marlborough, not Hudson.

You guys remember when you were carded for all ammo and the dealer had to fill out a state form for it? If it was, "pistol" ammo, you needed a LTC. I always laughed at that because 30 cal carbine and 22LR was classified as, "rifle".
Some folk here are old enough to remember the Federal Ammunition Sales Registry.

The sales registry was part of GCA '68 and wasn't fully backed out until FOPA '86 after the director of BATF testified that "The Bureau and the Department have recognized that current recordkeeping requirements for ammunition have no substantial law enforcement value."

Listen.. I get the fact that it's a stupid policy, how it is implemented, and what a CF the MA laws are.. I completely agree..

for those who suggested to take it out on the floor employees.. man. you're the ones that make working in retail suck.. It's pretty common that customers have a general perception of retail store employees as being some sort of lower class than you... you're just being an a**h*** at that point.. That's someone's wife, husband, dad, son, mother, grandmother, etc. working a legit job trying to make ends meet. My wife used to tell me stories of how some a**h*** customer berated her about some bullshit she had no power to change.. Made me pissed off...

there are times when the employee is the actual problem.. this isn't one of them.

View attachment 455812
Everyone should go there and overload carts with gun related items. When the cashier asks to see the fid or LTC just say forget it and leave the cart and walk out.
this is suggested purely out of malice. done to only make a point.. a**h*** move.. plain and simple. Have a problem with the policy.. contact those who can make the change.

Listen.. I get the fact that it's a stupid policy, how it is implemented, and what a CF the MA laws are.. I completely agree..

for those who suggested to take it out on the floor employees.. man. you're the ones that make working in retail suck.. It's pretty common that customers have a general perception of retail store employees as being some sort of lower class than you... you're just being an a**h*** at that point.. That's someone's wife, husband, dad, son, mother, grandmother, etc. working a legit job trying to make ends meet. My wife used to tell me stories of how some a**h*** customer berated her about some bullshit she had no power to change.. Made me pissed off...

there are times when the employee is the actual problem.. this isn't one of them.

View attachment 455812

this is suggested purely out of malice. done to only make a point.. a**h*** move.. plain and simple. Have a problem with the policy.. contact those who can make the change.
I agree with you. However, those that have the power to make change are (in most corps these days) highly insulated so that it is damn near impossible to find out how to reach out to them.

The way I found out who to contact in Cabela's legal dept was when my account was the victim of fraud ($800+ ring ordered and shipped to some other state), a NES'r who worked for the company gave me a PM with the corporate contact info. So, when a MA store was announced, I used that info to try to talk sense to them before the store ever opened. They claimed to have listened, but quite obviously went totally off the rails with dumb-ass policies. "Boots on the ground" employees in retail are threatened with job loss for not following those policies . . . and remember that there are cameras everywhere recording what the employee does or doesn't do.

The AG put a stop to the sale of the gun-cig lighters in MA some years ago.
We should all stock up on the Armalighters in Free Hampshire
so that the next time GOAL convenes a protest on the Common,
we can stage the photo op of a sea of flaming Assault Bics
brandished like a freaking rock concert in support of an actual civil right.

There's a New Customer Born Every Minute.

I have respect for anyone who has a job. I do not look down on anyone because of their chosen profession.
I have a hard time believing that. If you did, you'd handle your complaints like an adult, not a toddler telling people to intentionally get shit then leave it at the register.

Lolbut, no, this shit policy has likely been in place at cabelas in bad states forever.

View attachment 455812

LOL as someone who work in retail on and off over the years if somebody leaves a cart full of stuff somewhere that's not exactly the most dramatic of problems and maybe would actually start a dialogue when you take a picture of the car full of s*** and show it to your boss and tell him why the guy left it there. "This wouldn't happen if the policy wasn't retarded". Or at least they should post signage. That's kind of blanket policy is like basically needing ID to buy a sippy cup for a child... whoever administers policy for those POS systems needs to do a better job maybe item should be flagged individually and not as a blanket based on Department... I realize the average box store has a shitload of skus but it should be a bit that can be flipped when inventory is added.

The way I found out who to contact in Cabela's legal dept was when my account was the victim of fraud ($800+ ring ordered and shipped to some other state), a NES'r who worked for the company gave me a PM with the corporate contact info. So, when a MA store was announced, I used that info to try to talk sense to them before the store ever opened. They claimed to have listened, but quite obviously went totally off the rails with dumb-ass policies.
You should have mentioned how you are a self-styled influencer with 50,000 plus posts on a gunman chatroom like NES. That would probably impress them, no? That might have made them listen to you . . . Sorry they didn't though.

No. You're just making life difficult for those who are not responsible for making those decisions.
No, just using the customer-facing employees as a means of reaching management/corporate. Please pass on the info as a memo to your higher ups.

Exactly. It's not like it is ice cream or hamburg.

No, just using the customer-facing employees as a means of reaching management/corporate. Please pass on the info as a memo to your higher ups.

yeah.. doubt it.. more than likely.. customer-facing employee calls you an a**h*** behind your back and puts all the shit back on the shelf, or cashier just moves on to next person in line...

I realize the average box store has a shitload of skus but it should be a bit that can be flipped when inventory is added.
Their inventory control system is so stone-knives-and-bearskins
that if you tell someone walking around the floor
that they've got the wrong shelf-edge label for a box of ammo,
they whip this bulky thing off their belt
and print a new label to replace it right there.

But the cash register up front can't tell the difference between
a revolver and a coffee mug.

Love to be a fly on the wall when ATF finds all those coffee mugs
logged in to the store's Bound Book.

Back
Top Bottom