• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You meet your worst Nightmare - Todd

JimConway

Instructor
(Just in case this never got posted here)

Another thread on another forum got me thinking about the assumptions that we make about our potential opponents when we enter into any kind of "self-defense" training. I suppose that virtually any martial art or fighting system will work if your opponent is a moron, but how does it fare when you have to go up against the rare "black swan" event---the perfect storm opponent situation?

Since you cannot control who you will run into, maybe it is prudent to create a template for a worst case opponent and assume that is who you will have to face in a fight for your life? Let's call him "Todd."

Physical fitness? Discipline? Motivation? Todd is a former Division I-level athlete. He benches over 350 and runs an all-out quarter-mile in just over 50 seconds. Todd spends his mornings pounding out miles of hard roadwork, pumps iron like a maniac in lieu of eating lunch, and spends his evenings dry-firing his EDC handgun, studying ways to hurt people, and beating the hell out of his Spar-Pro and heavy bag. He maintains an extensive library of books and videos on combat and survival-related topics.

He goes to bed tired but satisfied every night, satisfied because he has no other hobbies and because he looks at training as money in the bank---he will cash in his full paycheck on the fateful day that he faces you in a fight.

Todd spends his weekends doing strenuous physical activities and competing in IPSC Limited or IDPA matches. He spends his vacations going to places like Crucible, the Rogers Academy, and BSR. Todd has no other hobbies and he is not really concerned with being a "weird, paranoid freak" in the eyes of many normal people. Todd does not really hang out with "normal" people, anyway---he prefers to hang out with people like himself.

Warning of an attack? Deception? Good luck trying any Jedi mind tricks on Todd: he studies NLP and evolutionary psychology. Todd does not dress like some kind of thug, either: he knows that a clean-cut appearance increases his time/distance window of opportunity to ambush his prey. Pay very close attention to Todd's choice of boots, belt, and watch---they may be the only warnings that you get.

Todd knows that anonymity is the most important weapon in his formidable arsenal. He does not threaten, he does not warn, he does not talk shit or insult---those things take time and telegraph intentions. Todd just makes a binary decision and then acts.

Training? Background? Todd trains in the most effective fighting and survival techniques that he can. He is open-minded and non-judgmental, caring only that techniques fit within an overarching framework of logic and ruthless pragmatism. He lives his whole life this way---it is his structure, his discipline, his religion. Todd may have a black belt from Rickson Gracie, may have been a Golden Gloves boxer or a freestyle wrestler or a linebacker, may have trained in the famous Muay Thai gyms of Holland, maybe a student of WWII Combatives or battlefield jiu-jitsu methods. Maybe---and now the plot gets chilling (as Marcus Wynne describes in his books)---Todd has been the recipient of millions of dollars in government-sponsored training...money that was specifically spent to turn him into some kind of professional shadow-warrior badass, like John Macejunas or Kelly McCann.

Maybe Todd is all of the above: operator, martial artist, fighter, contact-sport athlete.

It does not really matter where he got his start, because he has synthesized his approach into a combination of very destructive, attack-oriented techniques that he can perform with maximal effort without much fear of hurting himself in the process. He can strike and he can grapple, and most importantly he always tries to hit first.

Weapons? Equipment? This is the best part: trying to beat Todd in an unarmed fight is largely an academic exercise, because you will never, ever catch Todd unarmed. He carries a Glock or 1911, Fox OC spray, and a fixed-blade with him CCW every single day of his life. Todd is not interested in hitting you with his hands or feet---given even the slightest provocation, his opening gambit will be to present his handgun from the holster and to demand that you remain very still and quiet. If you then try to disarm Todd, strike Todd, or reach for your own weapon to attack Todd, Todd will not hesitate to shoot until slide lock.

Todd also trains in ways to use his knife to great effect---maybe pikal, maybe more of a Kni-Com technique, maybe both. Names like James Keating and the Dog Brothers are very familiar to Todd.

Todd will run you over with his SUV if you give him reason to. If you are more of a distant problem, he keeps an M4 or a DSA FAL in a Pelican case in the trunk, next to his trauma med kit and bugout ruck.

Forget trying to get to Todd at home: his place is like a fortress, complete with crazy locks (Todd studies B&E, too), a large dog, and the ubiquitous Scattergun Technologies 12-gauge with Sure-Fire light.

Remember that Todd likes to move first---his first move is to draw a weapon on you. Todd is not stupid. This isn't Bloodsport or a Sho Kosugi film. Todd wants to win...period.

Todd sounds like a nightmare, doesn't he? Well, let's all take heart---while we cannot control whether or not we will ever have to face a Todd, we CAN control our own training and preparation. We can become "Todds" (!). Many of you probably consciously found similarities between your own lifestyles and habits and the ones that were described above. I think the idea is to imagine the most ferocious and skilled opponent that you could face in a nightmare, then try to become that person (within whatever constraints that you face). If you are not willing to become a Todd, then you need to ask yourself who it is that you believe you are training to face.

We can become the "worst-case scenario" for someone else to have to deal with. I believe that these forums are about this...the mindset, the techniques, the equipment. There has been a lot of heated debate lately on various subtopics beneath the mantle of self-defense, but we are all students (no one has all the answers) and we all share far more similarities than we do differences. I don't believe that anyone here is interested in promulgating some kind of massive mind-meld---dissenting opinions are what fuels progress and interesting debate.

A Warrior Mindset??? The Hell you say!

Wake up and smell the micro chips, dude!! I get all my training from the internet!!!! Everyone knows them bad boys got game, yo!

Well, I posted about "Todd" because I wanted to see if anyone was awake and alert. It looks like Papa Bear has come out of his cave to smell the flowers, on the internet, of course. Tony, I am sorry to wake you up so rudely.
If you get a chance to train with SouthNarc grab your ibuprophen and run, do not walk to sign up. The course is not about shooting, although we did some, but is about fighting. Remember he is only in Missisippi.

Pay very close attention to Todd's choice of boots, belt, and watch---they may be the only warnings that you get.

Jim, what is meant by the section above?

Do you mean that someone like Todd may give away his tactical tendecies in choice of boot, belt, and watch? That makes sense more I think about it.

-Derek

I'm sorry Jim, I'm a little slow on the uptake. Sounds like the point is to let us know we need to be prepared to fight and kill Jason Bourne. Is that the case? And if so, are there really training sessions that can turn office jockies into stone cold killers? If so, sign me up.

I'm sorry Jim, I'm a little slow on the uptake. Sounds like the point is to let us know we need to be prepared to fight and kill Jason Bourne. Is that the case? And if so, are there really training sessions that can turn office jockies into stone cold killers? If so, sign me up.

I am not quite sure who jason Bourne is, but I assume that it is Jason of movie fame. My point in all of this is that a fight is going to be very bad and worse than you expected. Yes, Todd is way over the top and a caricature of all sorts of bad (for us) qualities. Square range shooting is certainly fun but of only marginal use in a real fight for your life.

There is an old adage about a man wih a hammer seeing everything as a nail. Having good firearms skill sets is just one possible part of a real fight which may not even be the right response. Just get into a grappling situation and see how difficult it is to even access and retain a firearm. If you end up on the ground and can not access your firearm, what could you do to survive?

I have been told by many square range shooters that they will survive because the are very accurate. Accuracy is just one part of the whole and, by no means, the most important part. There is so much more. Things are such as movement, shooting on the move, take aways, retention, tactics, grappling knives, sticks, empty hands, etc. should be considered.
Too many people are kidding themselves about their chances.

As you well know there are no single courses that cover all that could be needed. There are, however, a lot of courses that do cover most of the pieces.

Just send me a PM with your address and I will have him there tomorrow.You training can then start.

You have my address and you can send anyone you like. I was talking about the fact that I would like to train with SouthNarc soonest.

Yes, there is. However, it requires you to no longer be an "office jockey" and only if you're mentally, physically and financially able.

I am not quite sure who jason Bourne is, but I assume that it is Jason of movie fame. My point in all of this is that a fight is going to be very bad and worse than you expected. Yes, Todd is way over the top and a caricature of all sorts of bad (for us) qualities. Square range shooting is certainly fun but of only marginal use in a real fight for your life.

There is an old adage about a man wih a hammer seeing everything as a nail. Having good firearms skill sets is just one possible part of a real fight which may not even be the right response. Just get into a grappling situation and see how difficult it is to even access and retain a firearm. If you end up on the ground and can not access your firearm, what could you do to survive?

I have been told by many square range shooters that they will survive because the are very accurate. Accuracy is just one part of the whole and, by no means, the most important part. There is so much more. Things are such as movement, shooting on the move, take aways, retention, tactics, grappling knives, sticks, empty hands, etc. should be considered.

As you well know there are no single courses that cover all that could be needed. There are, however, a lot of courses that do cover most of the pieces.

Jim's post was very good in several respects. "Todd" is not that much of a fictional character as you may think. Jim's post put him more into the "good-guy" realm but those of us who've spent any amount of time in LE know that the hard core gansters and wanna-be's actually do practice and train to defeat LE procedures. We know that here is a significant amount of individuals who have dedicated themselves as "soldiers" for whatever cause they're behind - drugs, gangs, etc.

They don't have nice family dwellings and they don't spend time at night helping their daughter's finish their fifth grade math home work. Rather, they spend all their time finding and practicing ways to defeat their opponent in all means of combat that they think they may face. The degree of their committment depends on the depth of their particular organization.

This is a statement that cannot be emphasized enough.

So, now, we are aware that there are folks out there that don't look at life as we, as normal folks, do. They look at life on the short term - what can I take today from someone who can't stop me from taking it.

Cont. later...

The mindset, body conditioning and skills are what will make the difference in your survival. Diversity is the key. Tactical engagement drills, shooting while moving, defensive hand and combat skills, grappling and ground fighting. The experience in these and many others will round off the edges and the fears that most of us have. Learning what it feels like to be hit and to dish it out is needed.

Your situational awareness, personal rules of engagement along with your hours of training will make you a more formidable adversary.

Jim has pushed the envelope with this thought provoking article.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but if life and experience has taught me anything, it's this:

1. Most fights are over in about 12 seconds, and it is typically the person most committed to winning the fight and strikes first that wins. I've had my share of fights over the years, many I should have lost "on paper" because of "superior" training on the part of my opponent. Perhaps my untrained eye failed to detect it, but I didn't notice any demonstrated benefit that their 7+ years of martial arts training and self defence tactics had on their ability to pick themselves up off of the ground and walk away with their suddenly quiet group of cheerleaders.

2. Just when you think you're fully prepared, Mr. Murphy comes to pay you a visit. There's never "enough". Enough training, enough preparedness, enough reaction time...never.

Considering that the majority of people on this board, and in general, will never even remotely find themselves in the described scenario, I think it sufficient to know your weapon, practice with it often so that when the time comes you can trust your instincts and skill, and most importantly, be aware of your surroundings at all times.

There is no way to convert from some office-geek into a stone-cold killer...despite those telling you otherwise to part you from your hard-earned cash. Some things you can learn, others you have to be born with...and warriors are born, not made. Training can improve your instincts, but it can't give you instincts you don't have.

Honestly, how many ppl here have been in a life-or-death situation (not including those enlisted men/women amongst us.)? Ever had a gun in their face? Ever had to pull their gun in self-defense?

I'm guessing almost NIL.

You know those obsessed, Star Trek fans that can actually speak Klingon and run down the specs of every vessel in the fleet?

Sometimes I feel the movie Red Dawn had the same effect on a lot of people...lol

Last edited:
Major Blood
Thank you for your thoughts.
I am curious about where you got the fact that most fights last only three seconds. The FBI lists that fact for gun fights. Are you saying that the FBI number applies to all fights?
I agree about your comment about the value of years of martial arts training. A good street fighter will usually eat them up quickly.

I also agree with the following "There's never "enough". Enough training, enough preparedness, enough reaction time...never"

I very strongly disagree with the following "There is no way to convert from some office-geek into a stone-cold killer...despite those telling you otherwise to part you from your hard-earned cash.
These two statements seem to be at odds . If you are implying that I started this thread to sell training, you are dead wrong.

Again I disagree with you statement that "Training can improve your instincts, but it can't give you instincts you don't have." We are all born with all the instincts that are needed to survive a bad situation. In addition to improving these instincts, training also helps us to listen to them and use them to survive.

You have a premise that almost no one will need the skill sets offered by training. Statistically, that may be true. Did your family have 2.3 children? What about those people that flew on the hijacked planes on 9-11. What about my sister-in-law that was murdered by Ted Bundy. What about a home invasion situation? Any of us could be the one that would need defense skills tomorrow.
You asked whether any had ever needed a gun in a life or death situation.
I did.
If you want to live your life as a sheep, so be it. Your only hope is that there is a sheepdog nearby when you need it. Who knows. It may even be one of our students from this forum.

Last edited:
You make excellent points Jim, and it's not that I don't feel there is benefit in training...as you said, training ingraines techniques and most importantly, the mindstate required to deal with emergency situations. Anyone who strives to reach the top of their chosen profession or activity is going to train in some way, present company included.

The point I was trying to make was more that at a certain point, the line between preparedness and paranoia can be crossed, and that there are many who would benefit by catering to those who feel the obsessive need to "cover all bases". And I in no way meant to imply that the instructors or students who frequent this board were of the ilk described above. On the contrary, everything I've read on here about the quality of instruction offered has been nothing less than top-notch. I actually hope to take some of the courses when time permits.

As for the instinct/training argument, we'll have to agree to disagreee. IMO no amount of training can give a person a true killer instinct if they don't have the raw base there already. I actually find your statements on the subject and those you made regarding a street fighter at odds. Why would the street fighter eat them up so quickly? Because nobody trains to be a street fighter, it's something you become as a result of those instincts. Not everyone from rough neighborhoods become street fighters, and it's definitely not for lack of training opportunities (at least in my neighborhood growing up...lol), only those with those instincts.

That's not to say your average person can't be or shouldn't be trained to be prepared enough to protect themselves, but when you've got people that live in isolated, rural areas with zero crime spending thousands of dollars on CQB courses something's got to give...

Oh, and if I had to fit myself into your symbol based character breakdown, I'd have to say I'm more pit-bull: often misunderstood, gets a bad rap sometimes, but when the wolves come you wouldn't mind having him by your side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom