• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You look outside and see kids messing with your car...

Maxrobot

NES Member
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - A St. Roch resident is in legal trouble after being arrested for allegedly shooting a 14-year-old boy he caught breaking into his car on Tuesday morning (March 7).26-year-old Denzal Peters was booked with aggravated battery, illegal use of a weapon and obstruction of justice. Peters appeared Wednesday afternoon in Orleans Parish Magistrate Court, where his bond was set at $42,500. Video evidence showed a person emerging from a house and firing several shots toward a stolen vehicle occupied by three people, who appeared to have been attempting to break in to Peters’ black Dodge Charger. Police said a 14-year-old sustained several gunshot wounds from a rifle before the stolen car sped away and crashed in the 2200 block of St. Roch Avenue. The NOPD said the wounded 14-year-old and a second juvenile also face charges related to the incident, and displayed weapons, ammunition, cell phones and narcotics that were seized after a search warrant was obtained for the stolen Kia Optima they were using and for Peters’ house. Peters admitted he lived at the Tonti Street home, owned the Dodge Charger and that no one else was home with him. Peters refused to say who had fired shots at the alleged car burglars from the front porch of his home.

Way back in the day, 1981, I had to do a service call at Jeremiah Burke HS in Jamaica Plain. I came out after the service call to find a young punk trying to break into my car with a screwdriver. I grabbed the kid and he tried to stab me with the screwdriver. We tussled some and I got him by the back of his neck and dragged him into the HS. They called the police. Police came and first thing they said to me was I should've walked away when I saw the punk breaking into my car. So even 40 years ago they were preaching the message don't do anything and call us.

Way back in the day, 1981, I had to do a service call at Jeremiah Burke HS in Jamaica Plain. I came out after the service call to find a young punk trying to break into my car with a screwdriver. I grabbed the kid and he tried to stab me with the screwdriver. We tussled some and I got him by the back of his neck and dragged him into the HS. They called the police. Police came and first thing they said to me was I should've walked away when I saw the punk breaking into my car. So even 40 years ago they were preaching the message don't do anything and call us.
Stopping a kid from breaking into your car is not worth getting stabbed over, and not worth all the bull that comes with even a perfectly justified shooting. If your physical presence and verbal commands are not enough, ask yourself if "is it even worth escalating further?" Is this how the world should be? Probably not. Is this how the world is? Unfortunately yes.

Stopping a kid from breaking into your car is not worth getting stabbed over, and not worth all the bull that comes with even a perfectly justified shooting. If your physical presence and verbal commands are not enough, ask yourself if "is it even worth escalating further?" Is this how the world should be? Probably not. Is this how the world is? Unfortunately yes.

You and the Boston Police are correct. I was in my early 20s and no common sense compared to now. These days I would not confront the punk. I have plenty of insurance.

My point in general still stands. They have been preaching the message don't do anything, call us. we'll handle it. In general they want you to be a sheeple. My example was not the best but meant to demonstrate the preaching of the message and not my stupidity in confronting the punk 40 years ago.

While I shed no tears for the punk, I’m not going to confront someone trying to break into my car. I’m sure that two hours of ntassell’s time is more than my deductible (and it would take a lot more than just two hours of ntassell’s time if I had shot the punk).
yeah - same what i though. they really have to step in into my house first before receiving a welcome lead into their bodies. shooting them down outside right next yo your house is rather unwise.

Did you see how much weed they got from the guy's house? My guess is that the kids were trying to rip off the local dealer, and the cops charged him with the shooting because he was the local dealer...Three for the price of one. Surprised "intent to distribute" wasn't one of the charges.

Law needs to be changed to remove BS with justified shootings. Also needs to be changed to lower the bar for what deadly force can be used for.

Not all lives matter.

Property value > human value

One year of vigilance committees replacing police forces would straighten a lot of society's problems out.

I'd certainly take issue with someone attempting to break into my new truck. That'd be tough to standby and ignore awaiting police.

In MA though I'm not sure if they give you any legal options to stop a theif other than maybe jumping in the vehicle and driving off, if you know you could do that without harming the theif.

Really depends on the state. In Texas they had a show where repo guys would occasionally get shot at, it's legal there they said (then anyway). I don't know about here in NH but I doubt it's like Texas and it's definitely not like MA.

I'd certainly take issue with someone attempting to break into my new truck. That'd be tough to standby and ignore awaiting police.

In MA though I'm not sure if they give you any legal options to stop a theif other than maybe jumping in the vehicle and driving off, if you know you could do that without harming the theif.

Really depends on the state. In Texas they had a show where repo guys would occasionally get shot at, it's legal there they said (then anyway). I don't know about here in NH but I doubt it's like Texas and it's definitely not like MA.
You could use non-deadly force. I would recommend setting off the vehicle alarm and calling 911 instead. Insurance is cheaper than lawyers.

Last edited:

step in front of your truck when they're trying to steal it and you can use deadly force if they try to move it. you have a legal right to be there and a legal right to defend yourself.

Unless I'm mistaken or it's changed, I think that Texas allows you to shoot someone on your property trying to steal your stuff. Another positive for Texas.

Here in KY you can shoot for theft or trespassing. Even someone else's property. I think you'd be buried and your car disappeared before the cops showed up, then nobody's seen nothin.

the day i moved in
Neighbor: 'we don't like thieves and we don't call the cops out here'
Me: 'oh, good. neither do i'
Neighbor: 'if you ever need to borrow my backhoe let me know'

Not all lives matter.
your life definitely doesn`t. or anyone else`s who is trying to defend themselves.
just realize that and act accordingly. to run against a locomotive with expectations to crush it is rather silly.

Unless I'm mistaken or it's changed, I think that Texas allows you to shoot someone on your property trying to steal your stuff. Another positive for Texas.
in urban setup the driveway may (will) not be your property.

even your backyard, going back to the story of heroic cops to sneak and force entry into someones home at night from a backyard, with owner later to be jailed over it all.

Back
Top Bottom