• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"You Don't Need to Aim a Shotgun"

I have a bunch of Speer Lawman #4 which I considered ideal. But they've taken it off the market.

Think what we have for 20ga is #3.

I've never heard that. Do people really think not aiming any gun in a self defense situation is a good idea

I've never heard that. Do people really think not aiming any gun in a self defense situation is a good idea

Yes. Everyone loves to espouse the superiority of the 12ga for home defense over all else, commonly citing two exceedingly awesome factors:

1) The slide-racking noise will scare people out of your house

2) You barely, if at all, need to aim the gun. Pointing it in the general direction will suffice, since it is, after all, a "scattergun".

Interesting I keep mine loaded with slugs anyways I figured if 5 12 gauge slugs won't solve my problem I have a pretty big problem.

Interesting I keep mine loaded with slugs anyways I figured if 5 12 gauge slugs won't solve my problem I have a pretty big problem.
Do you live in the Alaskan wilderness? Or do you actually have neighbors within a hundred yards of your house?

Yes. Everyone loves to espouse the superiority of the 12ga for home defense over all else, commonly citing two exceedingly awesome factors:

1) The slide-racking noise will scare people out of your house

2) You barely, if at all, need to aim the gun. Pointing it in the general direction will suffice, since it is, after all, a "scattergun".
So funny, that is spot on what a lot of people actually say. Lol

Do you live in the Alaskan wilderness? Or do you actually have neighbors within a hundred yards of your house?
No, and no. But I don't use a shotgun loaded with slugs, they lose accuracy through the duckbill.
896b.jpg

Did we really need the internet to determine this? I keep a Molotov cocktail and a NRA Ar15 grill lighter on my nightstand. In a small room I can hardly miss, it's just the backdraft I worry about.

Did we really need the internet to determine this? I keep a Molotov cocktail and a NRA Ar15 grill lighter on my nightstand. In a small room I can hardly miss, it's just the backdraft I worry about.

If this becomes a thing, Mass will require LTCs for BICs.

I've never agreed with that slide racking story. I think it's movie nonsense. It only applies if you have a pump and why would you make that noise and give away your location? If you point the shotgun in the general direction and yank the trigger, you'll likely miss.

I've never agreed with that slide racking story. I think it's movie nonsense. It only applies if you have a pump and why would you make that noise and give away your location? If you point the shotgun in the general direction and yank the trigger, you'll likely miss.

Pretty sure anyone in my house hears the sound of a shotgun it's because the first round missed. They have until the end of the sound of racking to vacate the premise.

I'm pretty sure when Joe advised me to get a shotgun for home defense, and fire two blasts, he didn't mention anything about aiming at anything.
Sounds like you weren't paying attention. Joe specifically said to fire the two blasts "outside the house" so obviously you have to aim away from the house!

I kind of wish he was a little more specific though... "outside" is a big place.

Racking the slide will definitely deter an assailant so long as you use the correct shotgun. My old Ithaca 37 slam fires...hold the trigger and pump away [smile]

I've heard more than once " you don't need to aim a shotgun" and "racking the slide will just scare them away". Stupidity never goes out of style.

Just another movie gun thing. The hero's are always going into combat and only loading a round when they start shooting. Its right up there with the sound of "cocking the hammer" with every glock in movies....

Back
Top Bottom