You don't HAVE to hold the escalator handrail in Canada...

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

A Canadian woman who was arrested for not holding on to an escalator handrail has been awarded $20,000 in damages by the nation's Supreme Court.
Bela Kosoian was riding an escalator at the Montmorency Montreal Metro station in Laval, Quebec, in 2009 when an officer stopped her because she wasn't holding on to a handrail, as she was looking through her purse. A sign that stated "caution" and "hold handrail" was located near the escalator.

FLASHBACK: WOMAN REFUSES TO HOLD ESCALATOR HANDRAIL, CASE TO BE HEARD IN SUPREME COURT OF CANADA
The officer told her to hold on to the handrail during her ride down the escalator, and the officer stopped her once she got to the bottom. He asked her to follow him and she refused, "because she didn’t think she had done anything wrong," and also refused to give her identification, according to the case brief posted online.

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The sign was a warning not a law.

But the Supreme Court "unanimously disagreed," and said the sign in the Metro station that said to hold on to the handrail "was a warning" and not a law. They found the officer "was wrong to stop and search her for breaking a law that didn’t exist."

"A reasonable police officer should have known that people didn’t have to hold handrails. Or at least they should have had some doubt," the court ruling stated, adding, "Even if Ms. Kosoian didn’t act in the best way, she had no legal obligation to hold the handrail."
1575295126897.png

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Jesus, what a dick. Def should lose his job and face charges where appropriate.

Never touch the handrails. A personal experience from Park St Station years ago.

Me and a couple buddies were coming thru Park St, there was an old homeless looking lady wearing multiple skirts/long dress or whatever it was. Clearly crazy looking.

As she was walking towards the escalator she was literally dropping turds as she walked. Whole trail of chocolate chips behind her on the floor dropping from under her skirt.

We point it out to the Spanish cleaner who had a mop and bucket with him.

He mops up all the turds, then continues his forward motion directly over to the escalator, where he proceeds to use the very same mop, and places it on the handrail while it’s moving to “clean” the handrail. Using the mop. That he just wiped up piles of shit with.

We were laughing so hard and so disgusted by what we saw we just left as quickly as possible.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Jesus, what a dick. Def should lose his job and face charges where appropriate.

Never touch the handrails. A personal experience from Park St Station years ago.

Me and a couple buddies were coming thru Park St, there was an old homeless looking lady wearing multiple skirts/long dress or whatever it was. Clearly crazy looking.

As she was walking towards the escalator she was literally dropping turds as she walked. Whole trail of chocolate chips behind her on the floor dropping from under her skirt.

We point it out to the Spanish cleaner who had a mop and bucket with him.

He mops up all the turds, then continues his forward motion directly over to the escalator, where he proceeds to use the very same mop, and places it on the handrail while it’s moving to “clean” the handrail. Using the mop. That he just wiped up piles of shit with.

We were laughing so hard and so disgusted by what we saw we just left as quickly as possible.
I'm honestly surprised they haven't built like some kind of automatic cleaning system into the escalators used in public transit systems, then they wouldn't smell like bum piss all the time... and MBTA wonders why people don't use public transit....

-Mike

Kicker96FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I never touch handrails, moving or not! The germs, feces, and God know what else on them is disgusting! I have watched people hold the rail and then rub their eye. GROSS! I read about a study that they tested these railings and found so many germs, crap, spit, you name it on them.
They should make the cop lick it and then ask him how he feels about his supposed "law".

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I'm honestly surprised they haven't built like some kind of automatic cleaning system into the escalators used in public transit systems, then they wouldn't smell like bum piss all the time... and MBTA wonders why people don't use public transit....

-Mike
MA has some lawr or regulashion that require certain businesses to survey their employees about whether they take public transit or carpool to work, and if not, why and is there anything the state or the company could do to change that. Every year I tell them that there is literally nothing they could do to successfully encourage me to use public transit.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You couldn't pay me $20k to touch the handrail.
1575376847906.png

and OT: Why do GIFs not paste properly anymore? The above one should have motion, but is just stuck on the opening shot. How do we paste in GIFs properly now?

CCW

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A Canadian woman who was arrested for not holding on to an escalator handrail has been awarded $20,000 in damages by the nation's Supreme Court.
Bela Kosoian was riding an escalator at the Montmorency Montreal Metro station in Laval, Quebec, in 2009 when an officer stopped her because she wasn't holding on to a handrail, as she was looking through her purse. A sign that stated "caution" and "hold handrail" was located near the escalator.

FLASHBACK: WOMAN REFUSES TO HOLD ESCALATOR HANDRAIL, CASE TO BE HEARD IN SUPREME COURT OF CANADA
The officer told her to hold on to the handrail during her ride down the escalator, and the officer stopped her once she got to the bottom. He asked her to follow him and she refused, "because she didn’t think she had done anything wrong," and also refused to give her identification, according to the case brief posted online.
So the cops are pathetic and ridiculous in Canada also and not just in the USA. Who knew?

MassPete

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Canada is full of useless rules and endless regulations. We got pulled over in Moncton, NB for not having our seatbelts on. The fine was $279.50 per person. After a 5 minute lecture, the cop let us go with a warning. He didn't see the comedy when I asked him where they came up with the 50 cents... I honestly used to love travelling up there, but now avoid it at all costs.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Only $20K?
And 7 years later after getting rejected twice. I wonder what the lawyers cost.

About the coolp, sounds like one of those fudd RO at certain clubs making sure you wait exactly 5 seconds between shots and drooling at the thought of yelling at you when you only wait 4.5 seconds.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The few officers I've encountered in Montreal have all been unusually nice. I recall the first time I ever visited....didn't know where I was going and was running on fumes since the border. Spot a gas station, but I was basically in the worst position to get to it. I proceed to cut off three lanes of traffic taking a right from the left most lane and get immediately pulled over. Officer looked exactly like Harvey Keitel, so thoughts of Bad Lieutenant kept flashing before me. Was yelling at me in French at first, but when he realized I was lost American, he oddly turned cordial and gave me directions to my hotel. Not even a warning. Had another officer jump my car during this same trip.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
MA has some lawr or regulashion that require certain businesses to survey their employees about whether they take public transit or carpool to work, and if not, why and is there anything the state or the company could do to change that. Every year I tell them that there is literally nothing they could do to successfully encourage me to use public transit.
You are missing the opportunity to tell them they should encourage you to work from home, less cars on the road = less pollution, less chances you can get in an accident and miss work and a happier employee.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Canada is full of useless rules and endless regulations. We got pulled over in Moncton, NB for not having our seatbelts on. The fine was $279.50 per person. After a 5 minute lecture, the cop let us go with a warning. He didn't see the comedy when I asked him where they came up with the 50 cents... I honestly used to love travelling up there, but now avoid it at all costs.
A number of years ago a friend and I rode up to visit Jimbo in Montreal. Jimbo met us at the border and we were following him to his house. Got pulled over by the equivalent of highway troopers. Two of them. They talked to Jimbo first, (presumably because he was in the lead), then came back to talk to me and Bob.

I could hear Bob saying repeatedly "This is legal where I come from". He was running a custom FXRS at the time, high handlebars, trick lights, etc. The other one looks over my bike, starts laughing, calls his partner over and then says to me with a straight face "This bike is not legal anywhere in this country". I just shrugged. I'd just finished rebuilding it after pretty much totaling it, and I knew it wasn't street legal. No turn signals, a race exhaust, no speedometer.

So the two cops chat a while, then come back and say "you may go now, but if you bring this bike back into our country, it will be very, very expensive for you".

And then Jimbo, because he's an a**h***, promptly cranks it back up to at least 20mph over the posted speed limit and we follow him to his house.

Top Bottom