• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

6.5CM still takes a deer just fine. The retired game warden who taught me how to butcher a deer said hed never seen a bullet do that damage before

I did not say that it did not kill deer fine, it does. But why would it do more damage than a 260 or 6.5X55 or 6.5 PRC firing the same exact bullet at the same velocity? The 6.5X55 has been around for 120+ years, the Creedmoor is just a reinvention of it with a more modern case design to fit in short actions, and the powders/bullets we have nowadays are way better.

Last edited:
I've seen it over and over in hunting camps (Maine), and some people do not even know how to load/fire their firearm. It is unbelievable and unsafe. Guides end up having to spend time with these people making sure their gun is sighted in correctly and that the person can handle and fire it safely and accurately enough. Maine distances are not that far, I cannot imagine people like this hunting up out west expecting to take game at 300+ yards.
These people that don't have a sighted firearm, which means they never practice or care enough to at least sight it in before going to Maine, when they are taken out to hunt, where are the rounds hitting on the animals? ... are they getting clean kills or bullsh*t gut shots?

would be cool to know how many here own a modern 5lbs .308 carbon wrapped rifle, use it and love it.

My next will be probably now a long rem build, and I am not ditching anything I own. I have now 3 .308 guns and 3 6.5cm and they all are good in its own way.
f***, I trek around with an old school 8.5# 270 with beautiful wood stock! Gotta look good for the deer!

These people that don't have a sighted firearm, which means they never practice or care enough to at least sight it in before going to Maine, when they are taken out to hunt, where are the rounds hitting on the animals? ... are they getting clean kills or bullsh*t gut shots?

It is bear hunting so the ranges are fairly short fortunately, 30-50 yards, so they do pretty well. The guides set them up in stands with the easiest shots with the best rests. I don't think any have been lost (out of dozens taken each season) but they have worked pretty hard to find a couple. The key is to get them in a stand with a good rest.

I’ve boresighted a rifle at 50, just to get on paper, and been minute of animal off at 100!!

It is bear hunting so the ranges are fairly short fortunately, 30-50 yards, so they do pretty well. The guides set them up in stands with the easiest shots with the best rests. I don't think any have been lost (out of dozens taken each season) but they have worked pretty hard to find a couple. The key is to get them in a stand with a good rest.
Interesting. Thank you.

Wasnt it so effective they switched to 300 win mag
I can’t keep up with it. I think they continued to use .308, as their primary platform and adopted others for certain SOCOM units. I know DM’s were issued .308 in Afghanistan due to the ranges of engagement and the Taliban’s penchant for attacking from elevated positions nullifying all the 5.56 rifles effective fire.

That was your first mistake… I love my .308.

Seriously though, this is some interesting stuff:
“The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) recently conducted a study comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, and .308 Winchester cartridges and they came to a similar conclusion. Compared to the current M118 Special Ball Long Range .308 Winchester load (a 175gr Sierra MatchKing Boattail Hollow Point) currently used by special operations snipers, the 6.5 Creedmoor had less recoil, doubled hit probability at 1,000 meters, had a 33% longer effective range, retained 30% more energy at 1,000 meters, and had 40% less wind drift at 1,000 meters.”
You just made enemies with the 6.5 hating flat earther crowd. [laugh]

Interesting. Thank you.

The guides do spend quite a bit of time with them, not only at the range but also talking with them and going over the shot, etc. The place I go has very good guides and care incredibly about making sure there are clean kills.

The number of "Google: Show me some gay sh*t. No, like really gay sh*t." searches that were required to meme this thread up must have been staggering. Let's just hope your wives and girlfriends don't know how to "about:cache", or y'all have some explaining to do.
I already had most of this already saved on my phone

6.5cm Bros, need a hand.

Will order some SRP brass. Everyone says to either order a Redding and buy a smaller decaping pin or buy the Lee Universal and sand it down 0.002.

Also, some people say LRP is better in cold, and others say there is no difference between SRP and LRP.

1. What are your thoughts on the above?

2. Do you prefer to resize and decap in one operation or do it in separate?
Not everyone. I say buy RCBS competition dies for better bullet seating.

I use CCI LRP for general purpose and BR for accuracy loads. I'd be OK with Federals too. Personally I think the SRP vs LRP arguments are nonsense. Pick one and go with it.

I will often decap separately because the die pins are fragile and can be a PITA. Once my dies are set up I don't like messing with them.

You know my NES fight club powder recommendation. Shhhh...

So tell me what's so fantastic about it versus the 260 Remington besides them producing a bunch of ammo to get people hooked on it. If they loaded the 260 with the same bullets/powder the 260 is better, but old does not sell. People suck for the latest thing.
6.5CM is a lot more plentiful at stores, has plenty of choices for new rifle buyers. Next time, try to find a less obscure caliber.

6.5CM is a lot more plentiful at stores, has plenty of choices for new rifle buyers. Next time, try to find a less obscure caliber.

No shit, because everyone falls for the latest fad. It was the same for the 260, the 7mm-08, etc. when they were introduced. You look on Gunbroker, etc. it is the same thing, a zillion 6.5 Creedmoors, 6.5 PRCs, 7mm PRCs, etc., that's how they sell guns, by convincing people that the newest cartridge is better than anything before. Look at when the 40 S&W came out, everybody flocked to it and that's all you saw (guns & ammo) in shops for a few years. The 40 was f***ing perfect, the 10 mm had too much recoil and the 9mm wasn't killy enough.

Last edited:
When looking at calibers, before choosing the 6.5cm, one of the things I thought was important was factory ammo selection.

While 6.5cm is a dollar or two more expensive per box than 308, from the reviews I read, videos I watched and the bullet weights people recommend, if you want a 308 factory round that is capable of sub MOA you need to spend a lot more $$.

Now, I don't buy factory ammo, but it is good to know that quality ammo is offered at good prices and seems to be fairly easy to find.

In this case I did order a few boxes of factory ammo to try them out.

Last edited:
S&B, Hornady or PPU?
I ordered 140 and 156 S&B.

Hornady I found the load for their match ammo - aparently Hornady used to publish this per a forum post I found.

But I want to try the S&B after seeing a bunch of videos showing good accuracy.

Last edited:
I still have a bunch I got for ~$0.66/rd

Those days were nice
Very nice. I didn't know it was that cheap at one point. Now I understand when I read of people paying $1 for Hornady Match.

Are prices high because of the shortage, have they been going down lately?

Very nice. I didn't know it was that cheap at one point. Now I understand when I read of people paying $1 for Hornady Match.

Are prices high because of the shortage, have they been going down lately?
That was cheaper stuff but you could still find good ammo for ~$1. Anytime I've seen good mach ammo in stock its still $2+ these days.

Ive been avoiding buying any 6.5 ammo the past year

f***, I trek around with an old school 8.5# 270 with beautiful wood stock! Gotta look good for the deer!
a 270? why? it`s so gay and modern.

i think it was already proven here that real guys need nothing more than an 100yr old gun with some 30-30 or 30-06 in it. or 30-03. or some other crap that is old as a universe.
[rofl]

to each his own, to each his own...

a 270? why? it`s so gay and modern.

i think it was already proven here that real guys need nothing more than an 100yr old gun with some 30-30 or 30-06 in it. or 30-03. or some other crap that is old as a universe.
[rofl]

to each his own, to each his own...
270 came out in 1925….

6.5cm Bros, need a hand.

Will order some SRP brass. Everyone says to either order a Redding and buy a smaller decaping pin or buy the Lee Universal and sand it down 0.002.

Also, some people say LRP is better in cold, and others say there is no difference between SRP and LRP.

1. What are your thoughts on the above?

2. Do you prefer to resize and decap in one operation or do it in separate?
Lapua has the small flash holes. Peterson, which is very nice brass, has standard holes. I believe Alpha as well.

LRP supposedly is better in cold weather, I didn't see much of a difference. SRP brass is supposed to last longer, pockets are thicker. But, if you don't anneal, probably doesn't matter. Don't forget to use magnum primers if you go small.

Back
Top Bottom