• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

You know what DRB let's hit the range, shoot some Creed and talk it over some dinosaur shaped chicken nugz, and put all this behind us

All this talk of new cartridges got me interested in something new, just bought one of these in 7mm PRC:

Got a couple hundred rounds of this to try:

I wanted something more powerful for a future elk hunting trip. Anyone have a Christensen Arms rifle and, if so, what has been your experience?

Last edited:
Good information. However, if you look back on my postings in this thread I talked about the 6.5X55 several times, including posting it's history and military use. The 6.5X55 needs a long action so I felt that a direct comparison was not appropriate, but the 6.5X55 is a great, classic cartridge, that is fully the ballistic equal of the 260 and 6.5.
Gotcha, yep I missed that. My bad...

All this talk of new cartridges got me interested in something new, just bought one of these in 7mm PRC:

I wanted something more powerful for a future elk hunting trip. Anyone have a Christensen Arms rifle and, if so, what has been your experience?
Never shot a Christensen, but those remind me of the ultra light Kimber bolt guns from a few years back. Great if you have to give a shit about weight.

Never shot a Christensen, but those remind me of the ultra light Kimber bolt guns from a few years back. Great if you have to give a shit about weight.

I three Kimbers but nothing bigger than a 308. Little nervous about the Christensen, heard you can get a bad one. I have really wanted a Barrett Fieldcraft but they are out of production and used one's are like hens teeth.

I three Kimbers but nothing bigger than a 308. Little nervous about the Christensen, heard you can get a bad one. I have really wanted a Barrett Fieldcraft but they are out of production and used one's are like hens teeth.
I lurk a lot on the "hide" and have heard the same for Christensen. Hopefully wont be an issue for you.

The Kimber I liked was the ultralight .308, but for me it would be a glorified truck gun and a total waste...

Nice rifle and cartridge! If I were in the market for a 7mm that would be a good direction to go.

Absolutely not trying to re-hash the discussions but many of the 6.5 CM vs. 260 advantages are present with the 7mm PRC vs. 7m Rem Mag comparison. Add the headspacing off the shoulder rather than the 7mm Rem Mag headspacing off the belt and the 7mm PRC looks even better.

I'll just use my Dad's post '64 Win 7mm Rem Mag which after some accurizing work plus installation of a Timney will shoot ~7/8 MOA. Good enough for hunting just about anything that is caliber appropriate. If that wasn't an option I'd go 7mm PRC.

Hope you ordered it from EuroOptics as they are running a sale right now on Christensenarm rifles.

if you did any research on them - what is their mesa vs ridgeline difference? a carbon fiber stock?

if you did any research on them - what is their mesa vs ridgeline difference? a carbon fiber stock?

The Ridgeline only comes with the carbon fiber wrapped barrel, which I was not interested in (I just don't like how it looks). I am more traditionalist, if I could get one with a walnut stock (even though it is not as stable) I would (I really like the look of stainless/walnut, which most of my rifles are).

The Ridgeline only comes with the carbon fiber wrapped barrel, which I was not interested in (I just don't like how it looks). I am more traditionalist, if I could get one with a walnut stock (even though it is not as stable) I would (I really like the look of stainless/walnut, which most of my rifles are).
i was curious about that titanium stuff, but, it all is just too modern for me. despite of my making fun here of old farts - i am the same, kinda. :)

eventually i probably gonna get something extra light like that, but only as a barreled action, to try it out, or fit into a magnesium chassis.

I think I made up my mind on a scope. Since having a good scope for shots at 100 yards and a good scope for long range is not very realistic, I will buy two scopes.

A Vortex Viper PST now for range fun and practice (6-24x50) and later I will probably go with a lower magnification. I have other rifles that need a scope so if I decide on a permanent set up the scope won't be homeless.

Thoughts?

@AJK129 @paul73 @Mesatchornug @Mountain
@Tallahassee

I think I made up my mind on a scope. Since having a good scope for shots at 100 yards and a good scope for long range is not very realistic, I will buy two scopes.

A Vortex Viper PST now for range fun and practice (6-24x50) and later I will probably go with a lower magnification. I have other rifles that need a scope so if I decide on a permanent set up the scope won't be homeless.

Thoughts?

@Tallahassee
I think that would be good, I don't know for sure what they fixed in gen 1 vs gen 2 of the vipers, but I imagine the 1s are still good enough for what you want it for, especially if you're looking for another too.

You can find gen 2 5-25x (EBR 7c) refurbs for ~750 for price reference, I imagine gen 1 should be a decent bit cheaper than that

Thoughts?

@Tallahassee
do you mean PST2 or PST?
either way - do not forget of eurooptic selling their older reticle models, they have both there. PST2 is considerably clearer than PST.
i do not like 2C reticle that much, but it is perfectly usable, considering the price diff for what PST2 goes on amazon with EBR-7C reticle.

i like my arkens for the range fun now and not looking back. would not take them to the forest, though. but some say they will - with epl4, i guess some statistics will accumulate this season. it is still too heavy for a hunting rig, at 24oz, but, the EPL4 is a clearest cheap scope right now.

my only advice would be - if you are set on getting something in the top tier category - do not spend too much on the model you will take off anyway. there is plenty of perfectly usable glass in $350-$450 range, if the goal is eventually to spend close to $2k on something else.

i would NOT bring a $2k scope on a real hunt. just would not. :)

looking at recent articles you would also see - there is a bunch of new names now that pop-up, in there. does not mean they are all great, but, it is worth checking:

Last edited:

Thoughts?

@Tallahassee

I like these, almost a 40 foot field of view at 100 yards at the lowest power, 15X is more than enough for any distance game will be taken (if the gun is only to be used for hunting). I am a Leupold fanboy, I think I have 13 or 14 of them.

I like these, almost a 40 foot field of view at 100 yards at the lowest power, 15X is more than enough for any distance game will be taken (if the gun is only to be used for hunting). I am a Leupold fanboy, I think I have 13 or 14 of them.

nothing is wrong with a 20oz 3-15x leupold, but, i just cannot help thinking that you pay a good $600 there for a name alone.
it may be worth it, though. same as with swarovski or nightforce.
or not. :)
plus it is never about one scope. it is about having a consistent feel on all your rifles, so you set them on a glass you like.

That was cheaper stuff but you could still find good ammo for ~$1. Anytime I've seen good mach ammo in stock its still $2+ these days.

Ive been avoiding buying any 6.5 ammo the past year
I had to look back at my 6.5 purchases from 2017-2021

Federal Fusion sp 82 cpr
Hornady 140gr fmj 78cpr (remember those american gunner ammo cans?)
Magtech 140gr fmj 58 cpr
S&B 140gr fmj 68cpr
S&B 156gr sp 68cpr
Hornady match 140gr $2.15 (peak rape ‘21)

I had to look back at my 6.5 purchases from 2017-2021

Federal Fusion spots 82 cpr
Hornady 140gr fmj 78cpr (remember those american gunner ammo cans?)
Magtech 140gr fmj 58 cpr
S&B 140gr fmj 68cpr
S&B 156gr sp 68cpr
Hornady match 140gr $2.15 (peak rape ‘21)
The hornady cans are awesome, wish I bought 10x as many. I remember late spring 2020 everything was going up but 6.5 was somewhat steady in price and buying as much as I could.

The hornady cans are awesome, wish I bought 10x as many. I remember late spring 2020 everything was going up but 6.5 was somewhat steady in price and buying as much as I could.
Yup. Pre ma sales tax taking and $156 for those.

I did forget to mention the many cases from CMP too!

The 260 Remington, which is virtually identical to the 6.5, has been out for decades and they are just figuring this out now???? Maybe they should have compared bullets with similar BCs instead of just one .30 caliber, dumbasses. So bullets with higher BCs carry their energy further, no shit. I honestly cannot believe they would go to the effort of completing these tests and writing it up without looking at other, more current bullet designs for the 308 (as they are for the 6.5/260).

img_1425.jpg

Use something like one of these bullets in the tests and the 308 will be close/competitive in all areas except recoil, and the recoil of a 308 is nothing. Plus, as far as hunting, the advantages at the ranges game are taking are non-existent.

but 6.5 Creedmore sounds more sophisticated in a gayish, sweater tied around the neck, Sperry Docksiders, chardonnay kind of way. 260 Remington sounds like something old cops in black and white photos with no tactical gear would shoot a bank robber with. So yesterday.

No shit, because everyone falls for the latest fad. It was the same for the 260, the 7mm-08, etc. when they were introduced. You look on Gunbroker, etc. it is the same thing, a zillion 6.5 Creedmoors, 6.5 PRCs, 7mm PRCs, etc., that's how they sell guns, by convincing people that the newest cartridge is better than anything before. Look at when the 40 S&W came out, everybody flocked to it and that's all you saw (guns & ammo) in shops for a few years. The 40 was f***ing perfect, the 10 mm had too much recoil and the 9mm wasn't killy enough.
The .40 is still perfect. In fact, it redefined perfection as a caliber to the extent that all other calibers are basically musket balls.

The .40 is still perfect. In fact, it redefined perfection as a caliber to the extent that all other calibers are basically musket balls.

Try googling it and you'll find 20 articles that say so too!

"Such thoughts readily come to mind when we consider the development of the .40 Smith & Wesson cartridge, which emerged from the womb as a runaway champion in an industry where overnight successes are rare. The meteoric rise of the .40 S&W in 1990 was a phenomena catching the shooting industry off guard. It was a fresh face threatening to instantly end the reign of the two most popular auto-pistol service cartridges in the world. It also left little time for charting genealogy in the rush to celebrate its arrival and press it into service."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom