• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

Lapua has the small flash holes. Peterson, which is very nice brass, has standard holes. I believe Alpha as well.

LRP supposedly is better in cold weather, I didn't see much of a difference. SRP brass is supposed to last longer, pockets are thicker. But, if you don't anneal, probably doesn't matter. Don't forget to use magnum primers if you go small.
Damn, I don't own small magnum primers, just regular small.

I guess I will go with large primers.

When looking at calibers, before choosing the 6.5cm, one of the things I thought was important was factory ammo selection.

While 6.5cm is a dollar or two more expensive per box than 308, from the reviews I read, videos I watched and the bullet weights people recommend, if you want a 308 factory round that is capable of sub MOA you need to spend a lot more $$.

Now, I don't buy factory ammo, but it is good to know that quality ammo is offered at good prices and seems to be fairly easy to find.

In this case I did order a few boxes of factory ammo to try them out.

To get you started on looking at reloads, here's the Hodgdon data for the 143 gr. Hornady in the 6.5 Creedmoor:

20230130_173250.jpg

And, just for the heck of it, here's the data for the same bullet in the 260 Remington for comparison:

20230130_173415.jpg

It's amazing how much they improved on the ballistics and efficiency of the 260.

I am being wise, of course, but it just amazes me how people talk about how great the 6.5 Creedmoor is and that there is nothing else like it when, in fact, there was/is something like it, EXACTLY like it. I love Hornady but they have really fooled people with the marketing and catchy name on this one.

Last edited:
To get you started on looking at reloads, here's the Hodgdon data for the 143 gr. Hornady in the 6.5 Creedmoor:

View attachment 715353

And, just for the heck of it, here's the data for the same bullet in the 260 Remington for comparison:

View attachment 715355

It's amazing how much they improved on the ballistics and efficiency of the 260.

I am being wise, of course, but it just amazes me how people talk about how great the 6.5 Creedmoor is and that there is nothing else like it when, in fact, there was/is something like it, EXACTLY like it. I love Hornady but they have really fooled people with the marketing and catchy name on this one.

The world is literally full of iterations of concepts others failed to execute to potential. Sometimes is marketing, sometimes it’s market penetration, price point, distribution… any number of things.

Zero people give a shit about .260 because it was a commercial flop, not because it was not of sound engineering. How well you designed a thing is of no relevance if you cannot get your target market to adopt your product.

Stop being mad at companies for producing a quality product that people want and delivering via gun manufacturers that produce firearms that people want to buy.

Hornady didn't “fool” anyone, Remington failed.

Such a weird argument, like clinging to VHS 30 years later because “Betamax” was first even though the company is out of business and you can no longer even find the product readily available (the oldest reference I thought I could find seeing as how a MySpace / Facebook / SnapChat argument seemed like it would miss the mark)

Last edited:
The world is literally full of iterations of concepts others failed to execute to potential. Sometimes is marketing, sometimes it’s market penetration, price point, distribution… any number of things.

Zero people give a shit about .260 because it was a commercial flop, not because it was not of sound engineering. How well you designed a thing is of no relevance if you cannot get your target market to adopt your product.

Stop being mad at companies for producing a quality product that people want and delivering via gun manufacturers that produce firearms that people want to buy.

Hornady didn't “fool” anyone, Remington failed.

Such a weird argument, like clinging to VHS 30 years later because “Betamax” was first even though the company is out of business and you can no longer even find the product readily available (the oldest reference I thought I could find seeing as how a MySpace / Facebook / SnapChat argument seemed like it would miss the mark)

Dude, you just do not get what I am saying, I am not mad at Hornady (or anyone), they did an unbelievable job marketing this cartridge. I am just pointing out that the cartridge is no friggin different in terms of capabilities than the 260 Remington, I'll say it again so it sinks in, it is exactly the same ballistically as the 260 Remington. Go back and read the comments in this thread, it is said again and again how great the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge and that it is better than anything previous. People are literally making fun of me saying the 260 Remington is old school and the Creedmoor is much better - the load data I provided demonstrates that they are exactly the same with the exception of the case configuration (capacities are almost precisely the same, they both fit in short actions with cartridge OALs of 2.80"). It just proves my point that the public, include shooters/gun owners, cannot think for themselves and just follow the latest fad and sometimes all that is needed is a new monicker and better advertising. The comparison to VHS does not even make sense, digital media is a gigantic leap ahead versus VHS - or are you actually trying to argue that the 260 Remington cartridge is as much inferior to the 6.5 Creedmoor as the VHS is to digital media????????????????????????? Or are you arguing that the companies that produced VHS tapes would have beat out digital media if they would have done a better job advertising and we would still be using VHS tapes today??????????????

Dude, you just do not get what I am saying, I am not mad at Hornady (or anyone), they did an unbelievable job marketing this cartridge. I am just pointing out that the cartridge is no friggin different in terms of capabilities than the 260 Remington, I'll say it again so it sinks in, it is exactly the same ballistically as the 260 Remington. Go back and read the comments in this thread, it is said again and again how great the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge and that it is better than anything previous. People are literally making fun of me saying the 260 Remington is old school and the Creedmoor is much better - the load data I provided demonstrates that they are exactly the same with the exception of the case configuration (capacities are almost precisely the same, they both fit in short actions with cartridge OALs of 2.80"). It just proves my point that the public, include shooters/gun owners, cannot think for themselves and just follow the latest fad and sometimes all that is needed is a new monicker and better advertising. The comparison to VHS does not even make sense, digital media is a gigantic leap ahead versus VHS - or are you actually trying to argue that the 260 Remington cartridge is as much inferior to the 6.5 Creedmoor as the VHS is to digital media????????????????????????? Or are you arguing that the companies that produced VHS tapes would have beat out digital media if they would have done a better job advertising and we would still be using VHS tapes today??????????????
I’m arguing your point is as irrelevant as Betamax.

It may have been first, maybe even better. But it’s dead and gone and nobody cares because it’s potential was never met. Not because of the consumer but because of the deployment of the manufacturer.

Precision rifle is dumb and isn't used in 99% of wars. Basically just for hippies online to compare their "loadz brah" "Bruh check out this .5 MOA group i got with my gun in a literal vise or some other completely impractical shooting scenario that wouldn't ever happen in a real situation" Meanwhile AK is used in every conflict as a solid 3-5 MOA gun and did so much more than my WhizBang Precision Rifle Sniper with Uber 1-123.4343X LVPOABCDEFG....

Precision rifle is dumb and isn't used in 99% of wars. Basically just for hippies online to compare their "loadz brah" "Bruh check out this .5 MOA group i got with my gun in a literal vise or some other completely impractical shooting scenario that wouldn't ever happen in a real situation" Meanwhile AK is used in every conflict as a solid 3-5 MOA gun and did so much more than my WhizBang Precision Rifle Sniper with Uber 1-123.4343X LVPOABCDEFG....
A clearly deeply conceived and well formulated thought presented with skill and mastery of the written word, no doubt.

A clearly deeply conceived and well formulated thought presented with skill and mastery of the written word, no doubt.
Thanks my friend i thought so also

what i see from you is an ad hominem attack that in no way dispells the legitimacy of my claim

Thanks my friend i thought so also

what i see from you is an ad hominem attack that in no way dispells the legitimacy of my claim
There is no legitimacy to your claim as nobody here needs to justify to you or anyone one else what they find interesting or useful in how they choose to use their firearms, for games, sport, or otherwise.

There is no legitimacy to your claim as nobody here needs to justify to you or anyone one else what they find interesting or useful in how they choose to use their firearms, for games, sport, or otherwise.
Ofc but I can say "Muskets are a very effective small arm in 2023" and enjoy muskets but that doesnt mean its wright

and people DO need to justify things when they say 6.5 creedmore is more affective of a bullet then 556 NATO (won Vietnam)

And people DO need to justify things when they say 6.5 creedmore is more affective of a bullet then 556 NATO (won Vietnam)
5.56 NATO won Vietnam? Funny, I thought that the PAVN and Viet Cong infantry only used M16's when they captured them. SKS and AK variants were their mainstay. Or did the US win that war and I somehow missed it?

5.56 NATO won Vietnam? Funny, I thought that the PAVN and Viet Cong infantry only used M16's when they captured them. SKS and AK variants were their mainstay. Or did the US win that war and I somehow missed it?
556 back to back winner, why is all these countrie leaving other guns to use m4???

Poland, Croatia, Serbia, Germany, and most places leave AK SKS to use 556

The debates pretty much settled though. 6.5cm is bigger than 5.56 so its clearly better, and its small than 308 which also makes it better.

Simple math

I don't care about maths this is WARS. The 65 creed more is a commercial market niche caliber that is for "Reload Broz" to shoot a bright stationary target at 800 yards then they talk about on the web.

556 is in the real world winning battles with our brave men of the US Army in Vietnam

Last edited:
I don't care about maths this is WARS. The 65 creed more is a commercial market niche caliber that is for "Reload Broz" to shoot a bright stationary target at 800 yards then they talk about on the web.

556 is in the real world winning battles with our brave men of the US Armie in Afghanestan Vietnam Iraq and Why are No other countries @Parker Schreiber @**DRB** saying "oh well Hello Gee I sure am gonna go use 308 as a infantry rifle or Gee whiz maybe I will chamber m16 in 243 Remington" ok?
I have no idea if this is sarcasm or serious. If sarcasm, it’s not very good, especially on NES where we have tier 1 special ops sarc experts. If you’re serious, well, I don’t think it’s possible to be this stupid.

Given that, I will assume this is sarcasm and thank you for your failed attempt at humor and wish you well. It’s a cute attempt at an internet routine and persona, but it comes off as more drunk special needs than witty gunforum sarcastic.

Well anyways, @Broc if you need small rifle magnum, or large rifle magnum, let me know. I'll see what I have. FWIW I prefer the small primer, peterson brass.
Thank you. I will let you know. I should be good with LR, I need to dig around and check if I have any SR Magnum.

Back
Top Bottom