• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You can always learn something from the police

basscatfrank

NES Member
These quotes come from a Union Leader article addressing police using their own rifles at work.

Tuftonboro Police Chief Andy Shagoury, who also serves as president of the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police, said there is a psychological impact when a gun is confiscated.

“If you take an officer’s gun it feels like he has done something wrong,” said Shagoury.

If a department-issued handgun is taken as evidence, a replacement is issued, he said.

Shagoury said the shift to rifles started 20 years ago.

He pointed to the growing number of former soldiers joining the ranks of law enforcement. He said those with a military background are used to the platform.

The 5.56-caliber round the AR-15 rifle fires can pierce body armor, but doesn’t penetrate building materials like sheetrock or the windshield of a car, Shagoury said.

I'm almost hoping he was misquoted.

The 5.56-caliber round the AR-15 rifle fires can pierce body armor, but doesn’t penetrate building materials like sheetrock or the windshield of a car, Shagoury said.

I'm almost hoping he was misquoted.
LOL, it has to be a mis-quote. Only a brain dead incompetent moron would make a comment like that.

So they want a "platform" that can pierce body armor (which was necessary probably 1 time in the history of policing) but not a windshield, which happens on a somewhat regular basis with traffic stops and stuff.

LOL, it has to be a mis-quote. Only a brain dead incompetent moron would make a comment like that.
There is a saying within LE that taking the chief's job includes getting a lobotomy. From my experience working for a few chiefs, I tend to believe this.

As for penetration of sheetrock, I recall FBI testing of guns/ammo and due to the cavitation of .223 (some rounds) they did find that it penetrated fewer sheetrock walls than most common LE handgun rounds. Those tests were done in the early 1990s as I recall. Improvements in ammo over the years means this may or may not still be true.

A brain dead moron....like the average cop for instance

Some of my friends are cops, they're not brain dead morons - if they were - they wouldn't be my friends.

There are a large number of people who put on a uniform, and just like any large number of people you can draw up any number of sub-sets in that group.

Having been on this earth for a number of years, and having ventured outside of my cube on occasion, I've run into a few cops in a few less than optimal circumstances. And yeah, they're not all poster children. But they're not all a**h***s either. They're people, just like you and me. The continual bashing by you just shows that you hate cops. It doesn't advance your argument/position - it just shows your hatred.

One of your local reps thinks none of you are better marksmen than your police.

Democratic state Rep. Delmar Burridge, meanwhile, is pushing new restrictions at the state level, though he acknowledges it’s an uphill fight. Burridge dismissed the Republican majority at the State House as “Pistol Pete” vigilantes and “goofy knuckleheads” who think the other side is always out to take their guns away.

“They think they’re better shots than the cops are. I call these guys ‘Walter Mitty’ iterations — they think they’re heroes,” said Burridge.

But Burridge is sponsoring his own bill that would prohibit firearms inside hospitals, churches, polling locations, bars, and state universities and community colleges.

Some of my friends are cops, they're not brain dead morons - if they were - they wouldn't be my friends.

There are a large number of people who put on a uniform, and just like any large number of people you can draw up any number of sub-sets in that group.

Having been on this earth for a number of years, and having ventured outside of my cube on occasion, I've run into a few cops in a few less than optimal circumstances. And yeah, they're not all poster children. But they're not all a**h***s either. They're people, just like you and me. The continual bashing by you just shows that you hate cops. It doesn't advance your argument/position - it just shows your hatred.

Then where are these good cops coming out against the bad cops? That's rhetorical BTW. Each time someone becomes more aware of the epidemic that is the current state of US law enforcement it advances my position.

The MA Municipal Police Training Committee "Patrol Rifle" course manual has a similar quote:
http://www.mlefiaa.org/files/MPTC_NEWS/Patrol_Rifle_Student_Manual_2010.pdf

the most popular patrol rifle round, the 5.56mm NATO (.223 Remington) will penetrate fewer walls than service pistol rounds or 12 gauge slugs

While effective against human targets, the 5.56mm / .223 Remington rounds will not penetrate as many interior walls as your service pistol. Due to the high velocity, the bullet tends to shatter and break up after impacting the first wall.

Well, half minus one of all cops ARE below average, so....

Then where are these good cops coming out against the bad cops? That's rhetorical BTW. Each time someone becomes more aware of the epidemic that is the current state of US law enforcement it advances my position.
You sound like a bitter loser who wanted to be a cop but was either too fat to pass the PT test or too stupid to qualify for the academy. Probably both.

If you work in private industry, you must have encountered a "bad" employee (e.g. lazy, does it wrong all the time, vindictive, sarcastic, etc.), ask yourself how many times YOU (or even another co-worker) reported said co-worker and what the results were. No matter where we work, reporting bad co-workers usually ends up with us getting harassed for doing so (or worse). So most don't do anything other than turning our backs on it.

Only like 40 gr varmit rounds may self destruct and not penetrate drywall. And ya. I've seen it. It's awesome display or physics at work. But overpetrate was probably the word he should have used. And if they are isung mags loaded with 40 gr vmax... They may be doing it wrong.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Expecting a reporter to get what someone said right is like handing the keys to the space shuttle to a brain damaged chimp.

Only like 40 gr varmit rounds may self destruct and not penetrate drywall. And ya. I've seen it. It's awesome display or physics at work. But overpetrate was probably the word he should have used. And if they are isung mags loaded with 40 gr vmax... They may be doing it wrong.

They're using 40 grain dog rounds.

You sound like a bitter loser who wanted to be a cop but was either too fat to pass the PT test or too stupid to qualify for the academy. Probably both.

You sound like the average police apologist bootlicker who is either a cop, a family member of a cop, or some cop wannabe dressing up in your mall ninja gear. You all come back with the same old rebuttals. The answer is neither actually. Even if it were true your answer is weak. People who aren't smart enough to be President still have the right to criticize the President. What else have you got? Will you tell us their job is difficult?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom