1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

You are old if...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scatter, Jan 23, 2019.

1. 45collector

45collector NES Member

The N64 comment alone tells me you’re younger than me and don’t have any business posting in this thread! ;)

I’m 39 so neither do I, but since I already have arthritis in my lower back and have pain pretty much every day, I have to ask: How the hell will I make it to ACTUAL old age?!

2. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

What? Only once?

It gets worse. When your primary care MD, which is your 5th doctor because you outlived the others, refers you to a surgeon that looks 20-30 years younger than your kids.

And when you watch the classic car auctions and recall the times when you bought some of them brand new. I recently found a card from my credit union. It was the pay off on a $2,300 loan on a new car. I did have a trade in. The loan was for 4 years and it was for a 1969 Z28.

I once asked my plumber if he could lower the toilet bowl level.

I have worn either step in boots or slip on footwear since I became a civilian.

I recall drinking at the Pigs Eye in Salem MA and listening to Tom Rush play guitar and sing live, before he cut his first record.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN-6PbqAPM

BUMPA01603, Evtide, Christian and 2 others like this.
  3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

Ugh, I've seriously been wearing those Nike's since inwas in my mid-late 20s. They were comfortable and inexpensive compared to the rest. I didnt realize the dad shoe stigma until my wife pointed it out. Last time around, I bought TEN pairs of sneakers from Zappos before a vacation. 9 new ones to try, and the ol reliable's. Still found those the most comfortable lol.

Whiskeywon likes this.
  4. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

5. Mr.E

Mr.E

Na, I did that in college when I had an 8am classes....every second counts :). And I was still probably late even though I lived right next to the classroom..

Hetzer likes this.
  6. scatter

scatter NES Member

If you haven't had one of those "Really? You're going to card me at my age?" moments for 25 years.

PennyPincher likes this.
  7. rep308

rep308 NES Member

...more than once....

8. EddieA

EddieA NES Member

When you used to think 40 was old, and now your kids are older than that.

Jason Flare and yanici like this.
  9. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Alcohol and advil are my go to's. If there is something else please let me know. [cheers]

BUMPA01603 and Jason Flare like this.
  10. massgun

massgun

More than once! And taking a loooong time to do it!

11. Whiskeywon

Whiskeywon NES Member

I know so many people that find those borderline disgusting. We were at the beach and this guy was just sitting there curling his toes in them and it made another lady there gag. Which is funny as hell of course

12. massgun

massgun

For some reason I find this happens more often in public/hotel toilets. At one point, I gave some serious thought to designing some kind of small, light sling that you could fasten around your legs as you sat and go under the boys to lift them just enough to keep them dry. I even came up with a name, "The No-Wet Nut Net" [laugh]. I guess due to the fact others have pointed out about not remembering sh$t, I had forgotten about it until I saw this post!

white feather and MAGG like this.
  13. lazypengu1n

lazypengu1n NES Member

Seriously.... It's a few times now twice.... god... nobody told me any of this BS would happen!

14. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

hahahah. that name rolls off the tongue....but try saying it five times fast in a row and you will fail

15. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

When you can adjust points with a matchbook and a flat head.

yanquidog, BarnBuilder and scatter like this.
  16. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Got me.

First “personal” computer was a KayPro II. My first modem was 1200 BPS.

drgelinas likes this.
  17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Never did. Diane Rigg just didn't do it for me. Her body said "come here" but her face said, "mow the lawn and scrub the driveway first."

I thought I was the only person in the world that remembered Tightlines in Bridgewater. Or Colman's. Canton??? I bought my first bow there. Tightlines and the Yangtze House or whatever that restaurant was called. Good times.

18. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

If you were the remote for the TV

19. RIFLEMAN1000

RIFLEMAN1000

You look for your glasses only to discover your wearing them already ! Your have an extra set of pants and undies in your locker at work just in case.
    You cant remember anything important but useless trivia your an expert. Also you remember stuff hours after trying to rememeber them when it was important.

drgelinas and Jason Flare like this.
  20. Mr.E

Mr.E

I was traveling a couple weeks ago and was at an airport bar that had a "we card everyone" policy. One women who was easily 70 years old couldn't help but laugh.

21. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Old if you tried to build a tv synch pulse restorer so you could watch free Boston area playboy channel

buckfarack likes this.
  22. rep308

rep308 NES Member

I captured the schematic printed in some geek electronics magazine and laid out the board while at DEC using Vax Layout System (VLS). Built the board in the DEC board shop, and hand assembled and sold about a dozen of them before my boss to me to knock it off

BUMPA01603 likes this.
  23. CWulf

CWulf NES Member

When it takes longer to trim the hair growing out of your ears and on your nose than it takes to comb your hair.

24. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Yep, that’s the one!
    Everyone was raiding the lab stockroom. They got wide to it, and could spot it from the op-07 op amps

25. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

You guys are gods. Although had I gotten one back "in the day" it would have been on my folks' TV. Not that they'd notice anyhow. LOL

buckfarack and Spanz like this.
  26. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Well, yes.

:)

27. scatter

scatter NES Member

You win. You are old. And so am I.
    Or how to spell carburetor

Jason m likes this.
  28. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Last time I was carded at a liquor store was when I was pushing 40 and it was 1976. I quit smoking 20 years ago and the friggin Walgreens kept asking me for my birth date. I kept saying, "1912" and she laughed and put it in the system.

Ahhhh.... you missed the phone handle connections where you had to plug in the headset. I think that was 150 BPS or less. The first modem I bought was 300bps and I PAID FOR IT!

DarkNet, BUMPA01603 and Gidge like this.
  29. EddieA

EddieA NES Member

I tried to explain how centrifugal advance worked to a 30-something. He listened carefully for a couple minutes, then burst out laughing. He was positive that I was pulling his leg with a pure BS story.

30. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

I have had an enlarged prostate for many years. It’s not much of a problem unless I forget to take a daily med. If I do forget and then after that I realize that my urine flow is not what it should be, I take a pill and after a day or so all i well again. As with all of of us old guys, we can have an interesting time at the toilet or urinal when the stream seems to take on a life of its own and go where it wants to go, causing either a clean up or best wishes to the attendant that works there.

I’ve had a kidney problem in the past and have had a stent put into my urethra to one kidney. Long story short, that has been removed and between the insertion and removal, I have had 3 urinary tract infections that have been solved with a simple oral pill over a week or so. None of this has been fun.

After a year or so, in conjunction with my primary care guy and the urologist, I was finally cleared to not to have a 3 month prostate exam from the large fingered urologist. I was relieved to say the least.

After a year or so and having the normal issues, I arose one morning, shaved, showered and dressed and went for my morning coffee. After a couple cups I went to the bathroom and attempted to relieve my self. The urine stream went right, left and down! No matter what I did, it was not going in the correct direction. As I was pissing all over the floor and not getting much in the toilet I was thinking that I needed kidney/urinary tract surgery and was thinking about the big fingered urologist that would soon be my best friend.

I cleaned up the toilet and floor where I was spreading my flow and realized that I was wearing a brand new pair of underwear that I had put on that morning.

I then inspected my penis and found a small, round 1/4” sticker on my tip that was an inspector number. #8 was my problem.

If you ever piss in 3 directions, look for the inspector number.

drgelinas, DarkNet, kelton and 8 others like this.