You are old if...

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I read an article about mid western high school students that could not tell time on a clock. They were born and raised digital and never learned. When my MD put the round clock face in front of me and said make the clock 10 minutes of 11. I wrote 0950 in the circle.
That's 1050. The test worked.

You listened to Duran Duran on purpose and you said there was zero retardation back then? I'm pretty sure Duran Duran is a major cause of retardation!
It was a mix tape, what can I tell ya.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I was thinking about LD calls the other day. When I was at Bentley, we had a 9600 modem in our dorm. My roommate was a programmer on the side. Our connection was SCREAMING fast. The problem was teh closest hook-up was Spencer, MA.

We're talking 20-30 miles from Waltham to Spencer. LD in-state call. We had to use a stop-watch and only use it after 9pm. ROFL!!!

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They should start reusing these for wood pellets.
They do. You can get bulk pellet delivery and the pellet furnaces have gizmos that feed a steady stream to the furnace.

Same with modern coal furnaces. They can be pretty much hands-off.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And how to unstick it
When I was a youngster, we had chickens. There was this one that would always peck at my ankles. I remember yelling out "I'm going to choke that chicken!" one time and my dad wouldn't explain why he started laughing. I was only like 6 or 7, get your mind out of the gutter.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a youngster, we had chickens. There was this one that would always peck at my ankles. I remember yelling out "I'm going to choke that chicken!" one time and my dad wouldn't explain why he started laughing. I was only like 6 or 7, get your mind out of the gutter.
wnkr_lg.gif
[smile]

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Six people aged 62 to 85 have been arrested after police officers went into the woods to watch them having sex.
Doesn't that mean we should be arresting the police???? Buncha peeping toms!

Honestly - short of a prostitution ring (which, arguably this was but they don't say that), is there a problem with two. . . or six consulting adults banging away in the woods???

You dirty old man!
Hey - at least he's age-appropriate.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
TL/DR, anyone mention having to put the empty glass milk bottles in the Seatlest insulated milk box on the porch before the milkman arrived?
I remember driving around with my older brother early in the morning, and copping about a half dozen of those empty milk jugs.

Then we would go to the grocery store and redeem then for 30 cents each! we would have enough for gas and a pack of Camels![wink]

fitzknny

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The " Ragman , who had a mule and wooden wheeled wagon . . . . called out RAAAAGSS ! to the housewives . .

The ice man who had ice tongs and rubber apron . . . always gave the kids a chunk

The fruit and vegtable guy who drove a late forties Chev canvas sided. " express wagon ( carry all ) ?

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can remember putting a manual choke kit in a 73 Camaro when I was having choke problems....
1980 Monte Carlo. It had an "electric choke" that never worked right. What a POS that thing was, but...

Who here misses bench seats with a 3rd seat belt in the middle up front? The Monte Carlo had a split bench so when my 5'1" girlfriend drove she slid her seat up but I still had room for my 6'1" legs. When I drove she was belted in the middle and snuggled up right beside me[kiss]. No more bench seats up front is one more thing, along with no riding around town in the back of a pickup with friends on a hot summer night, that makes me feel sorry for my boys.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess you just dont have sophisticated musical tastes. Seriously though, Duran Duran rocks.
Strut on a line it's discord and rhyme
I'm on the hunt down I'm after you
Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I'm hungry like the wolf
How can anyone not like that song? Having grown tired of contemporary music, I revered back to 70's and 80's music big time. Duran Duran is one of my most played groups. Also play a lot of Billy Idol, Tears for Fears, The Cars, The Police and Talking Heads.

beaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
How can anyone not like that song? Having grown tired of contemporary music, I revered back to 70's and 80's music big time. Duran Duran is one of my most played groups. Also play a lot of Billy Idol, Tears for Fears, The Cars, The Police and Talking Heads.
Same here, I listen to classic vinyl , 80's and 70's stations on sat radio, and the Patriot channel.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about LD calls the other day. When I was at Bentley, we had a 9600 modem in our dorm. My roommate was a programmer on the side. Our connection was SCREAMING fast. The problem was teh closest hook-up was Spencer, MA.

We're talking 20-30 miles from Waltham to Spencer. LD in-state call. We had to use a stop-watch and only use it after 9pm. ROFL!!!
I used to always try to call my parents before 7 or 8 in the morning. I think it was after 5 or 9 at night.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The " Ragman , who had a mule and wooden wheeled wagon . . . . called out RAAAAGSS ! to the housewives . .

The ice man who had ice tongs and rubber apron . . . always gave the kids a chunk

The fruit and vegtable guy who drove a late forties Chev canvas sided. " express wagon ( carry all ) ?
Ravman? Ice delivery? I have dirt you get than you. Wow.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Milk and egg delivery
Guy on a big tricycle with a grinding wheel, he'd sharpen knives and scissors.
Plastic fire helmet giveaway from Texaco with 3 tank fill up.
Gas station drinking glass with fill up.
McD's 2 cheeseburgers, fries, 2 milks and 25 cents change from a buck.
1/2 gallon milk and a loaf of bread and change from a 1/2 dollar.

whalerman69

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The garbage man cometh...We had a swill bucket in the ground with a lid you stepped on to open. Man did that thing get nasty in summer. Guy would come around and empty it into a truck. Pig farmer I think...Long ago...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

I remember the Ragman and his wagon but I thought he had a horse.

We didn't need the Iceman, but my grandma down the street did for a while when I was very young.

Our knife sharpening guy had some kind of ancient box truck with a window in the side. Ahh, the good ole days when life was much simpler.

fitzknny

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the Ragman and his wagon but I thought he had a horse.

We didn't need the Iceman, but my grandma down the street did for a while when I was very young.

Our knife sharpening guy had some kind of ancient box truck with a window in the side. Ahh, the good ole days when life was much simpler.
It might have been a horse, I think there was a stable in Reedville, Hyde Park. I forgot the knife guy. ( I'm Old ). . . good one !

yanici

NES Member
Rating - 97.1%
34   1   0
The garbage man cometh...We had a swill bucket in the ground with a lid you stepped on to open. Man did that thing get nasty in summer. Guy would come around and empty it into a truck. Pig farmer I think...Long ago...
I still have that setup in the rear of my house. Too lazy to break up the concrete that it's set in. Those things were a nice maggot nursery if you didn't hose them out periodically.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It might have been a horse, I think there was a stable in Reedville, Hyde Park. I forgot the knife guy. ( I'm Old ). . . good one !
There was a stable in JP somewhere near the Shattuck Hospital also I think, can't really remember, I'm old too lol!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No milk bottles for us. I am the youngest of NINE children. We had a "milk machine" in the pantry. You know, that room off the kitchen with the tin walls and ceiling that had nothing but cabinets and drawers for all of your canned and dried goods? The local farmer came every Saturday with two 20 quart cans of fresh milk. If you emptied one of the pitchers on the table at meal time, you refilled it.
The rotary phone hung on the kitchen wall next to the refrigerator. I'm a little too young for an icebox however there was a huge wood burning baking stove when I was very young.
I only had to dial 5 digits to reach anyone within town and I didn't know anyone outside of my town.
Gramps was a railroad engineer and had a beautiful pocket watch. He used it when we spoke on the phone to him in Florida. At the 2:59 minute mark, he would hang up because the rates went up after three minutes. It didn't matter if you called him or vice-versa. Gramps survived and thrived through the depression. If you sent him a letter and only used one side of the paper, you were pretty much assured of getting a letter back from him printed on the other side.

And my wife wonders why I tear a paper napkin if I only need half................ [wink]

Top Bottom