• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You’re at a mass shooting event armed. What do you do?

Unless I'm trapped, it's get out and then call the police. In that order. Also, don't hang around to record the event for posterity. I want to be away before the "Out of an abundance of caution." lock down commences.

View: https://youtu.be/P5y6C-v5-j0

Lol.

It's not a hard decision at all if it's a supermarket or a movie or something.

I get out of Dodge. My gun's there to make sure I can do that, along with anyone else I love. Everybody else is on their own.

OC is another tool so you aren't backed into a corner with having to go to the gun.
Very few hot heads will power through a face full of hot sauce and those that do are objectively dangerous.
You can't shoot a dude who is looking for a push-me festival but OCing him followed by a quick 911 call to report him for A&B is a much better choice to keep yourself out of both jail a d the hospital.
good point.. and I've thought about this.. I dunno.. it has come in handy in MA before.. I think I'll start carrying it again.. even in NC were self defense rules are more in my favor I can't do stuff like that . Problem is I can't keep OC (the seals leak) in my car when I'm not working. so many times after work all I have is my gun which I legally keep locked in my car off the property which I carry as soon as I leave work.

good point.. and I've thought about this.. I dunno.. it has come in handy in MA before.. I think I'll start carrying it again.. even in NC were self defense rules are more in my favor I can't do stuff like that . Problem is I can't keep OC (the seals leak) in my car when I'm not working. so many times after work all I have is my gun which I legally keep locked in my car off the property which I carry as soon as I leave work.
I can't have anything at work but a small multi-tool so I understand.

If i got the people I'm with I'm outta there! I'm a straight white male, I'm certainly not getting in a gun fight to save mostly people who look at me as the enemy. NFW!
This certainly factors into it. Any kind of diversified area or liberal town, Im breaking out the popcorn before the pistol

You can't out run a bullet. If you see a guy with a rifle and vest and you've got an LCR in your pocket, good luck. Depending on how far you are when he's actively shooting, you might not be able to escape so engagement may be your last ditch slim chance to survive. If you're well out of range, gtfo.

You can't out run a bullet. If you see a guy with a rifle and vest and you've got an LCR in your pocket, good luck. Depending on how far you are when he's actively shooting, you might not be able to escape so engagement may be your last ditch slim chance to survive. If you're well out of range, gtfo.

It's not really about range. In any movie theatre and most malls, you'll already be within range of a rifle-equipped shooter and there won't be any way to increase that range unless you leave the AO. Which is what you should do.

It's about situational awareness. It's about knowing where exits are, and wargaming CONSTANTLY as you walk or sit or whatever, "what-iffing" the situation as a habit. It's about knowing where concealment is, or (better) cover. It's about increasing your survivability by paying attention and having a plan before the shooting starts.

It's a mindset a lot of people don't bother developing. I've been doing it since college. I had to test it twice in Army contexts, and it worked well enough; I've never had to test it as a civilian. I hope I'll never have to.

I would try to help however I could.
That might be shooting the bad guy or more likely just trying to stop the bleeding and save the wounded.
Its easy for me to say now, but I probably wouldnt run, Im just not wired that way.

My wife and I both carry constantly. Our only reason is to protect each other and our closest friends. After that, everyone else is fooked. I'm not sticking my neck in a ringer to try to save some clown who was too stupid to be properly prepared.

Access the level of the threat(s) to myself and immediate others , access MY immediate situational probability of ceasing the threat and not getting killed. "Fight or flee" that is the #1 question you need to access in a life threatening situation. If the threat seems to be a mentally unhinged single threat then i might choose to engage , but if it seems to be multiple threats offing each other in a gunfight, then without a doubt FLEE . In many situations it just ISN'T worth it...

Engage or get out of dodge?

Personally I’d be thinking to mine and myself and get out of dodge. If I was alone I don’t know for sure. Probably still get out of dodge. Though I’m sure some would engage. Hard decision.
Depends entirely on how close.
Under 50yards and aiming in my general direction with no immediate means to flee?
Take the shot.
Otherwise get out as fast as possible.

If you have a mass shooter in front of you and you pull out a firearm every second you have that firearm out is a chance of you getting shot by the police. Rightfully so, for the police, the protocol now is go in and shoot.

If you have a mass shooter in front of you and you pull out a firearm every second you have that firearm out is a chance of you getting shot by the police. Rightfully so, for the police, the protocol now is go in and shoot.
Lol on average though frankly the cops will never be there fast enough.

Leave if I can. Fight if I can not.
However, I would have a hard time watching someone kill women and children if I think I could prevent it.

There are also a ton of variables that could change my course of action. This latest event in Texas occurred at an open air mall.
If I am standing in line at a bank, and a guy charges in yelling "everyone on the ground!", I am going to get down with everybody else. If he starts shooting tellers, and I could stop him, it would not be easy to just watch.
Range to target and what the guy is armed with, also matter. As does who he is shooting at.
Guy shows up at the library and starts shooting girl scouts selling cookies, I might engage.
Guy shows up at the library and starts shooting drag queens reading stories, I might leave and go get some ice cream.
Shit if he's shooting trannies why not give him a spare mag honestly

Why not holster up and flee with everyone else? Sort it out later.
You do need to be identified as a 'good guy', best advice I can give is if you do plant a AS is to separate to a place you can observe and make sure the AS is down safely (cover, not concealment). Head on a swivel, ears open as best you can. When you hear footsteps or 'POLICE', drop your gun, hands up, deal with the rough handling initially. There's going to be a lot of adrenaline flowing. The more you try to prove you are a good guy initially, the slower everything will resolve. They are thinking threat removal, not fact gathering. That happens when the zone is cool.

If you just leave and they have to come find you, you start off behind the power curve. If you do leave, go directly to your lawyer and stay there.

Sorry people, I'm figuring out how to get out alive including any family or friends I'm with. When I'm in the clear I'll call the cops. I know the limits of my abilities, and I'm not another Eli Dicken at the Greenwood Mall.
it really can't be said enough just how hard what he did was, given what he was using. Stock Glock 19 but had filed down iron sights that were mangled in a prior motorcycle accident. He was shooting bottom barrel CCI Blazer range ammo. Landed 2/4 at 42 yards, 4/4 at 25 yards, and 2/2 at 25 feet. Total training was was some weekend shoots and shooting with Grandpa at 9/10 years old.

if alone with no family- and pinched in - no excuse not to try to do something to help, if with kids - first priority would be to get them to safety. It is not something one can predict, it is just prior training that either kicks in or doesn’t.
It’s not training, it’s an innate willingness to act, to risk everything to stop something horrific and evil. The training just increases your chances of success.

Not everyone is an Eli Dicken.

I suspect most people have little idea how they’d act and react. I don’t have any clue how I’d respond. I have ideas of what I’d do ideally depending on what the situation is. But I’ve never been a this type of situation to know whether I’d have the fight or the flight response.

You do need to be identified as a 'good guy', best advice I can give is if you do plant a AS is to separate to a place you can observe and make sure the AS is down safely (cover, not concealment). Head on a swivel, ears open as best you can. When you hear footsteps or 'POLICE', drop your gun, hands up, deal with the rough handling initially. There's going to be a lot of adrenaline flowing. The more you try to prove you are a good guy initially, the slower everything will resolve. They are thinking threat removal, not fact gathering. That happens when the zone is cool.

If you just leave and they have to come find you, you start off behind the power curve. If you do leave, go directly to your lawyer and stay there.

...I thought the LTC sash took care of all that...

Was I misinformed?

Not everyone is an Eli Dicken.

I suspect most people have little idea how they’d act and react. I don’t have any clue how I’d respond. I have ideas of what I’d do ideally depending on what the situation is. But I’ve never been a this type of situation to know whether I’d have the fight or the flight response.
Perfectly reasonable; and much different than pre-determining that you won’t respond because of fear of persecution for killing an active shooter, or because the kids should have been armed or some such nonsense.

Everyone at that event could have gotten the license and a gun. Because I did does not make me obligated to risk my life for them.
Maybe not. My closing crew at a retail store is usually youngsters under 21. Many of our customers are students, too. One of the girls told me recently how her parents bought her pepper spray when she turned 18, but she couldn't carry it at school. Many of them are aware, just defenseless.
I know full well that if I had to use my carry piece to subdue a criminal, I would be the next subject of LEOs arriving on scene and would make every effort to convey compliance to their demands.
Watched a video of an off-duty cop who put down a bad guy. Kicked the guy's gun away, then stepped on it. When the cops showed up, the off-duty cop dropped his own gun, stepped on it also, and raised his hands way above his head. Probably scratched the hell out of it. The gun, I mean.
Is there really NO scenario where you dont end up dead or prohibited? If this happened in MA, played out exactly in every way, footage and all and you end up popping this guys balloon. Is it a guarantee that youre ending up a pp? I know MA sucks but I think this is a little too much
In my own little burg an old guy was charged with FIRST degree murder when he was cut off and then trapped in traffic by some raging hothead, because he used a knife to defend himself and the hoodbooger apparently bled out. Nothing is too depraved for MA.

Back
Top Bottom