• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You’re at a mass shooting event armed. What do you do?

Perfectly reasonable; and much different than pre-determining that you won’t respond because of fear of persecution for killing an active shooter, or because the kids should have been armed or some such nonsense.

Not all of us who are pre-determining that we won't respond are afraid of persecution. I think that bears mentioning.

Some of us merely have priorities that differ from others'. That should be perfectly understandable, I would think.

Remember, Massachusetts discourages self-help. Read about defensive shootings in the state and you'll see the DA wrap these people up for months if not years. One that comes to mind off the top of my head is the guy who was a Boston special police officer who killed the individual stabbing the female doctor at MGH. He didn't get a disposition for 18 months
DA only dropped charges after 5 month investigation that determined off duty security guard was justified because guy with knife turned towards him and attacked. If the guy just kept stabbing the doctor then security guard would have been royally screwed.

"As part of their legal review, prosecutors also considered whether Langone’s use of deadly force was excessive in light of the circumstances. Under Massachusetts law, the excessive use of force in self-defense or defense of another can constitute manslaughter. Given the ongoing and brutal attack against Dr. Desrosiers and Carciero’s advance on him, Langone had no other reasonable means of protecting himself and Dr. Desrosiers. Prosecutors therefore found no evidence of excessive force."

They don't pay me enough to play acting cop so I would probably depart premises and liability at high rate of speed.

DA only dropped charges after 5 month investigation that determined off duty security guard was justified because guy with knife turned towards him and attacked. If the guy just kept stabbing the doctor then security guard would have been royally screwed.

"As part of their legal review, prosecutors also considered whether Langone’s use of deadly force was excessive in light of the circumstances. Under Massachusetts law, the excessive use of force in self-defense or defense of another can constitute manslaughter. Given the ongoing and brutal attack against Dr. Desrosiers and Carciero’s advance on him, Langone had no other reasonable means of protecting himself and Dr. Desrosiers. Prosecutors therefore found no evidence of excessive force."

They don't pay me enough to play acting cop so I would probably depart premises and liability at high rate of speed.

Five. Freakin'. Months.

Yeah. I want nothing to do with cops and DAs. That's not why I'm not intervening if there's an egress route, but anyone choosing to use that as a reason not to? I think that's entirely understandable.

This is the real world, sadly.

I'd never have to pull out my gat. Once the perp sees my concealed carry sash and my 5.11 cargo pants the fight would be over.
But, if necessary, I'd consider throwing off my Oaklys and turning my molon labe hat backwards and deploying my Krav Maga skills.
Game over man, game over.

First of all, if I was with anybody, I would tell them to run away from the gunfire as fast as possible!
(Now, bear in mind; I am already 74 years old and pissed off as hell.
My body aches from old age, I have three fractured vertebrae in my spine that hurt all day in spite.
Between having severe Emphysema, COPD, and a prostate the size of a football, a can hardly get a good nights sleep anymore.
I am a pissed off Boomer that can't wait for all this shit to be over with!)
I am not a hero, not in the least. But if I have a chance to take out a crazy shooter of innocent people, I'm gonna go for it.
If I die trying, at least my kids will think of me as a hero.
And if I die because a cop shoots me by mistake, my kids can get a bonus on my life insurance from a lawsuit.
Both scenarios would be a win-win for me, because my only fear is dying in a hospital bed,
In pain and wishing I was had an on/off switch like my Dad.

Every time I go to the VA, they ask me if I ever have any thoughts of suicide, and I tell them the truth. ...... "No, I would never do something like that to my kids." But if they were to ask my if I would be happier if I was dead, they might be surprised at the answer.

So yeah, you can be assured that if I had the chance to take out a shooter at a school or grocery store, the old pissed of Paratrooper in me would kick in. I haven't killed any bad guys since Vietnam, but I still know how to do it!

While I applaud those that would jump in and fight.

Too many unknowns, disadvantages and confusion in that situation......and like the above video showed.....if you are two to one, or shooter has a rifle and body armor.....your at a severe disadvantage.

Staying alive is #1 priority either running or fighting...........Flight to safety is always #1, Fight if you can't. Told my kids the same. I want them out of the situation, not in it. If that means running do it. Do not try and be a hero.

Weapon is only there for self defense if you need it. If the time comes....do not give a shit about repercussions, and fight back like hell to get out of the situation.

First of all, if I was with anybody, I would tell them to run away from the gunfire as fast as possible!
(Now, bear in mind; I am already 74 years old and pissed off as hell.
My body aches from old age, I have three fractured vertebrae in my spine that hurt all day in spite.
Between having severe Emphysema, COPD, and a prostate the size of a football, a can hardly get a good nights sleep anymore.
I am a pissed off Boomer that can't wait for all this shit to be over with!)
I am not a hero, not in the least. But if I have a chance to take out a crazy shooter of innocent people, I'm gonna go for it.
If I die trying, at least my kids will think of me as a hero.
And if I die because a cop shoots me by mistake, my kids can get a bonus on my life insurance from a lawsuit.
Both scenarios would be a win-win for me, because my only fear is dying in a hospital bed,
In pain and wishing I was had an on/off switch like my Dad.

Every time I go to the VA, they ask me if I ever have any thoughts of suicide, and I tell them the truth. ...... "No, I would never do something like that to my kids." But if they were to ask my if I would be happier if I was dead, they might be surprised at the answer.

So yeah, you can be assured that if I had the chance to take out a shooter at a school or grocery store, the old pissed of Paratrooper in me would kick in. I haven't killed any bad guys since Vietnam, but I still know how to do it!

I was going to say this....If I'm pushing 80 feeling like shit, there would likely be a different response.

Not much out there more dangerous to a mall shooting perp than a pissed off old dude with not much to lose, that's packing some heat.

Everyone is talking about the legal complications, but the other possible outcome is that he guy with the gun kills you. Your wife is now a widow. Maybe your insurance company refuses to pay because you engaged the shooter. Does anyone think that the mall or anyone else is going to give your family money for he next 20 years because you were a good guy?

I'd never have to pull out my gat. Once the perp sees my concealed carry sash and my 5.11 cargo pants the fight would be over.
But, if necessary, I'd consider throwing off my Oaklys and turning my molon labe hat backwards and deploying my Krav Maga skills.
Game over man, game over.
But only if your gat is chambered in .40 Ghey.

Sounds like most of you (at least in MA) would be better off just not carrying, or staying home.

Have to admit I'm no hero making for an exit or serious hard cover. Shooter with rifle with or without body armor out classes a handgun short of a 500 S&W.

Half of NES

paul-blart-mall-cop.gif

Who here, that says they’re gonna pack their shit and go and leave everyone else to fend for themselves, likes to show their support for the brave American men and women who put themselves in harms way to preserve the lives and freedoms of their fellow countrymen?

Everyone is talking about the legal complications, but the other possible outcome is that he guy with the gun kills you. Your wife is now a widow. Maybe your insurance company refuses to pay because you engaged the shooter. Does anyone think that the mall or anyone else is going to give your family money for he next 20 years because you were a good guy?
This is a very likely outcome if you purposely engaged a shooter, beyond the act of self defense only. Insurance companies don't wanna pay shit. They will use anything like this.

This is a very likely outcome if you purposely engaged a shooter, beyond the act of self defense only. Insurance companies don't wanna pay shit. They will use anything like this.
Will the insurance company pay your widow-wifey if you just sat there and took the bullet to the head? Kinda like how zero tolerance policy in school works. If you defend yourself against a bully in a fight, as long as you raise your hands up to block the attacks, you're 'equally' in trouble. You need to put your hands behind your back and take whatever punches he throws at you.

Engage or get out of dodge?

Personally I’d be thinking to mine and myself and get out of dodge. If I was alone I don’t know for sure. Probably still get out of dodge. Though I’m sure some would engage. Hard decision.

What would a mother black bear do? Only engage if necessary to protect your family.

If I'm by myself I might try to engage the shooter, but not if its compact 9mm vs AR15. That only works on TV.

I can't believe no one has answered "whip out the phone and record content for my tic-toc channel".

As others have said, with family or not...that would likely change my response. Also important to consider that "good guy with a gun" looks a lot like "bad guy with a gun" to anyone responding to the event.

yeah, I think these events would likely be so chaotic you wouldn't want to pull out a gun.

It's probably hard to identify the shooter, innocents running and screaming everywhere.

What would a mother black bear do? Only engage if necessary to protect your family.

If I'm by myself I might try to engage the shooter, but not if its compact 9mm vs AR15. That only works on TV.
And most likely, this actual situation, where apparently a cop responding to another call popped the killer.

If I happen to be walking nearby an elementary school, I'm probably going in. Anywhere else, I'm GTFO. Too many truly innocent people to stand by or run from an elementary school.

Who here, that says they’re gonna pack their shit and go and leave everyone else to fend for themselves, likes to show their support for the brave American men and women who put themselves in harms way to preserve the lives and freedoms of their fellow countrymen?

Lol.

I was one of those once. When I was, my mindset was different. And? I had a rifle, which makes all the difference in the world; a rifle means I can go on offense. A pistol doesn't.

But soldiers don't fight hard "to preserve the lives and freedoms of their fellow countrymen." They do it for their buddies. And soldiers feel the same way about their buddies that I feel about my family. So, same answer (in my case, anyway).

Soldiers also have a mission they must perform, which usually involves the risk of deadly violence. When I'm at the supermarket? I don't. My mission there is to get ice cream and didi mau, so that's what I do. YMMV.

Unless its my friends and family or little kids getting shot, I’m f***ing off. I don’t want it hanging over my head that a bunch of kids were killed and I could have stopped it but did nothing.

There's definitely some good points being discussed all around, so I think the discussion is good. Being of some assistance getting people to exit points or medical aid is an excellent way to saves lives w/o having to break leather. My own opinion is to have the conversation with yourself each day you get up and put a gun on, that you may have to use it and be fully ready to do so. You can't have that discussion with yourself in the moment. I would also add that if you get involved on some level, and you are with family, train them to be able to call 911 and to provide your physical & clothing description/identify you as a "good guy". Hopefully the 911 dispatcher is on their A game and relays that over the radio. There will be too many calls and they will have to filter thru a boat full of nonsense. That info may increase your odds though. Be safe everyone, unfortunately we don't know if we'll ever be thrust into the thick of it. Evil is out there.

If I happen to be walking nearby an elementary school, I'm probably going in. Anywhere else, I'm GTFO. Too many truly innocent people to stand by or run from an elementary school.
Hold up.

You would unholster your pistol and run into a school, while someone is shooting. Is your life insurance paid up?

@Bill Katt like this? 😂

149 responses and nobody mentioned a HARD BLOCK? Used in conjunction with the sash and badge, a truly overwhelming maneuver.

Back
Top Bottom