• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yet Another Tech

Tested this morning and am now waiting for my call sign to be added to the ULS. Probably be there by the end of next week. I have the UV-5R Plus HT and a Yaesu FT-2900R for the Jeep. I may use the FT-2900R in double duty (Base/Mobile).

I was thinking about a J-Pole for a base antenna (just to keep it small for now). Don't know what I'm going to do for a mobile yet. The closest repeater is ~ 3 miles from me (Mendon - AE1C).

I plan to take the General and Extra in September.

Now I may have to expand my solar farm in Texas to add some gear down there. [smile]

Where did you test? I took & passed my tech and general this morning in Bedford, NH.

Marlborough, MA. Place was packed! There must have been 25 or 30 people testing. I was surprised that there were so many people. I would have taken the General but I had another commitment that I HAD to get to.

I envy you Willie.......wish I had time to get back in. Haven't had a license since I was a Novice when I was 16 years old.

When I joined the Army, I failed the Morse code test on purpose.....because they would have put me in the Signal Corps immediately.

I enlisted for Airborne Infantry, and I didn't want anything else. (My brothers would have never let me live it down)[rofl]

I envy you Willie.......wish I had time to get back in. Haven't had a license since I was a Novice when I was 16 years old.

When I joined the Army, I failed the Morse code test on purpose.....because they would have put me in the Signal Corps immediately.

I enlisted for Airborne Infantry, and I didn't want anything else. (My brothers would have never let me live it down)[rofl]

Sky that test would be a "no brainer" for you. I'm serious. With your background you would snicker at the test questions. I'm going to take my General on Sept 15th @ 9 AM in Marlborough. If you want to test and "renew" your ticket, I'll come get you and we can go together.

You can study here and here. Shouldn't take you more than about 10 minutes to brush up on the gubment minutia.

I'm going one way or the other. You want to tag along that'll be great I'll even pay for the exam and breakfast.

Sky that test would be a "no brainer" for you. I'm serious. With your background you would snicker at the test questions. I'm going to take my General on Sept 15th @ 9 AM in Marlborough. If you want to test and "renew" your ticket, I'll come get you and we can go together.

You can study here and here. Shouldn't take you more than about 10 minutes to brush up on the gubment minutia.

I'm going one way or the other. You want to tag along that'll be great I'll even pay for the exam and breakfast.

Man, that sounds like fun, but I am so hammered at work right now I hardly have time for a beer after work.

I got a pile of "hobby" stuff in my apartment waiting for my retirement. One is an old National Model 54 Shortwave Radio. The damn thing is in almost pristine condition, and all I should have to do is just
replace a bunch of old wax paper caps and it should run. It is the classic All American 5 tube Superhet!

I also have to rewire it, it's one of those hot-chassis models.

Man, that sounds like fun, but I am so hammered at work right now I hardly have time for a beer after work.

I got a pile of "hobby" stuff in my apartment waiting for my retirement. One is an old National Model 54 Shortwave Radio. The damn thing is in almost pristine condition, and all I should have to do is just
replace a bunch of old wax paper caps and it should run. It is the classic All American 5 tube Superhet!

I also have to rewire it, it's one of those hot-chassis models.

Offer will remain open.

I'm sure I'll upgrade as I continue to get my feet wet

ETA: just got my call sign (Wed June 19th). That was quick. I guess .gov can do somethings right.

Last edited:
I was already in their database. I had a FRN and a GMRS license back in 2001. That could be why I got mine so quickly (??).

I've had 2 commercial licenses since 2009. And when I tested, the VEs were fairly confident we'd have our call signs in time for field day.

Back
Top Bottom