• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yet Another Post About Reloading 5.56 and .223 Data

Hello, I have done a lot of searching, read a lot of posts, but just cannot get a clear answer. I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction here. I load a lot of pistol calibers and shotgun, not so much rifle.

Getting started and I want to reload my .223 brass and 5.56 brass and don't want to have to care which is in the press (once properly processed). Can I use starting/non-max .223 data in my 5.56 cases? Or does the restricted internal case volume of the 5.56 demand an even lower load.

Thank you

So long as your brass is full-length sized in dies marked for either caliber, and so long as it is trimmed so as not to exceed the max case length stated for both calibers, and so long as your bullet is seated to the specified COAL for 223 Rem., you can treat your brass as interchangeable. Then, as with any caliber, you would start with a load that is about 10% below the max in a reloading manual and work from there.

So long as your brass is full-length sized in dies marked for either caliber, and so long as it is trimmed so as not to exceed the max case length stated for both calibers, and so long as your bullet is seated to the specified COAL for 223 Rem., you can treat your brass as interchangeable. Then, as with any caliber, you would start with a load that is about 10% below the max in a reloading manual and work from there.
+1

10% below MINIMUM starting point.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

10% below MINIMUM starting point.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I will absolutely disagree here. It's called a starting point for a reason. Starting below the 'starting point' is illogical. I have never found the reduction of internal volume to make a difference greater than a couple of tenths of a grain of powder.

Start at the starting load, don't go above the max load. Keep it simple.

I will absolutely disagree here. It's called a starting point for a reason. Starting below the 'starting point' is illogical. I have never found the reduction of internal volume to make a difference greater than a couple of tenths of a grain of powder.

Start at the starting load, don't go above the max load. Keep it simple.
I agree here. 10% below minimum is unheard of and dangerous. The word MINIMUM is used in the phrase "minimum suggested starting point" for a reason.

I start at 10% below max and work up from there.

Almost all of my rifles shoot best with loads near max. It makes sense that a cartridge will perform best near its maximum potential - otherwise what's the point? Why develop a .300 Mag if it performs best at .30-06 levels?

Last edited:
I start at 10% below max and work up from there.

Almost all of my rifles shoot best with loads near max. It makes sense that a cartridge will perform best near its maximum potential - otherwise what's the point? Why develop a .300 Mag if it performs best at .30-06 levels?

I think it depends on what you are looking for, I have loaded 308 that were the absolute most accurate at the lowest recommended charge (one hole at 100 yards). At the highests end they were acceptable for most hunting applications, but not close to the same accuracy, (over 1 moa). So for me it depends on the intended use of the load.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom