1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Yet another AR headspace question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccioff, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ccioff

ccioff NES Member

Hey all,

I've done a search and read a bunch about this... general consensus seems to be split 50/50 between "if you have quality parts, its a non-issue" and "it takes 30 seconds, always do it."

My research on my components is inconclusive/positive-by-default. i.e., i havent heard any complaints about the components I bought, even though they are on the 'budget' side of the spectrum.

my question is two-fold.

1. My BCG is a PSA Freedom complete BCG, and my barrel is Ballistic Advantage:

PSA Freedom 5.56mm Tested Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - 507608

Ballistic Advantage Modern Series 14.7" 5.56 NATO Lightweight Contour 1:7 Nitride AR-15 Barrel - Mid-Length - 1/2x28 BABL556012M

Are these considered by most of you to be 'quality' and 'free of known issues?'

2. Shot in the dark, but anyone in the woburn area going to be at MassRifle tonight have a go/no-go gauge set they might want to bring to the club with them and let me use for those 30 seconds?

Thanks all.

2. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

A local shop or Smith could do it.

ccioff likes this.
  3. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

This. Just take it into your local gunsmith's shop.

ccioff likes this.
  4. ccioff

ccioff NES Member

eh. I'd rather buy my own gauges. (maybe thats the real answer to my question) I'm a machinist and I like doing things for myself. Plus the closest shop to me told me that they refuse to pin/weld my muzzle device (lantac dragon) and im doing that myself. left a bad taste in my mouth.

5. Mesatchornug

Mesatchornug NES Member

Not a member at MassRifle, but I have gauges. I'd be happy to meet up this afternoon.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    AHM likes this.
  6. Lsgun1

Lsgun1

Its smarter to do it but I'm sure its fine. Proceed at your own risk.

larueminati and ccioff like this.
  7. tripletaco

tripletaco NES Member

Someone feel free to correct me if Im wrong. I did my own research on this recently and heres why I think the answer you often hear on the internet is "dont worry it'll be fine".

Standard min and max chamber length as measured from a datum point on the shoulder to the bolt face is 1.4596" to 1.4636". So thats .004", not a totally trivial tolerance but also nothing really that crazy in terms of machining. Then, consider that a field gauge will pass a chamber of up to 1.4736". So thats a .010" range where a gun will be safe to shoot.

ccioff likes this.
  8. larueminati

larueminati

The headspace is set by the barrel maker when they pinned the extension to the barrel. If you have a barrel from a reputable company I wouldn't worry about it.

You can't adjust it.

Uzi2, ccioff and Dradian like this.
  9. Mesatchornug

Mesatchornug NES Member

You can't adjust it, but you can get them to RMA it. While it's unlikely that the parts are wrong, it happens.

In fact, I'm rebuilding a prototype for a client today because my "reputable" manufacturer bored a hole 0.011" undersized, and my other parts don't fit. The rest of the parts were fine, but somehow their "infallible" robots cocked this one up.

AHM, Squib308 and ccioff like this.
  10. TomMontana

TomMontana NES Member

I think my set of Go and No Go gauges cost $60. One of those piece of mind expenses that may not be needed. But if things go wrong, you may be kicking yourself for not checking it beforehand. Good luck.

ccioff likes this.
  11. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

PSA has some crap BCGs out there. I've posted a few times about a couple I own. They're fine for toys, but I would definitely headspace anything with a PSA part and not trust your life to it. 2 of the 3 BCGs I have from them are unreliable. Frequent FTFs. Great for training though and it's hard to beat the process they sell some uppers at.

If you want a quality BCG buy a BCM.

Yazz, ccioff, Squib308 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ccioff

ccioff NES Member

Thanks for the input everyone who replied. Shout out to username Mesatchornug who lent me a gauge set. The bolt closed on the go and didn't close on the no go. So I went to the range. Put 60 rounds through it, no issues. Other than my sights seemingly moving everywhere.

If I was gonna have an issue, I'd know about it by now, right?

Going to upgrade my bcg soon ish.

Thanks

AHM likes this.
  13. Squib308

Squib308 NES Member

if you're building your own uppers then invest in a no-go and field gauge. the "go" gauge is semi pointless as any factory brass can do the same but i think amazon or wherever has the 3 gauge sets worth the $$ no doubt. it's unlikely that one is going to find a barrel with excessive headspace although theoretically possible. better to find this before going to the range. if one has a few extra BCG's laying around then can tease out whether the issue is bolt or barrel extension.

at the same time there are many folk out there who have built countless uppers without ever checking headspace...and they've never had an issue so one could make this argument just as well.

unrelated topic but I have watched people drop their bolt onto a field gauge and it makes me absolutely cringe. i'm like WTF why wouldn't you just manually push the bolt forward with normal amount of pressure. don't drop the damn bolt on it!

i agree w above about getting a quality BCG. in terms of reliability, the gas system and BCG are critical. the $60 or so saved on a budget BCG just isn't worth it. while the BCM BCGs are excellent, in full disclosure I did once receive a BCM BCG from Aim that had a bent gas key. the gas key was unable to fit over the gas tube so it would not fit into the upper. of course Aim replaced it no questions asked but I was surprised that BCM shipped out a totally defective BCG. it shows that no matter how great a company they're still human.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 10:57 AM