• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yesterday at the range

...other just don't pay attention to the damn laws. They change and God knows in MA they are a huge fur ball of riduculous and confusing words. I'll be honest... I think I know a fair amount but I don't know or understand half as much as someone like Scrivener does. Worse- do you really thing "most" LEO know the laws as well too? I really doubt it. Not making any excuses.. just trying to put the pieces together.

Most of the pieces are put together in one place at your town or city Clerk's office.

See:
You really need to see the "poster, ... in large letters so as to be easily read". This is supposed to be printed yearly, but I don't think it has since 2004 or so.

"Nor, has he heard of GOAL. It makes me wonder how many more gun owners like him are out there?"

I know that many of us are GOAL members (as am I), so at the risk of inflaming this board, I think GOAL does a piss-poor jor of defending and advocating for the rights of gun owners in this state.

For those who will say that it's VERY difficult in MA to advocate a pro-gun position, I know it is. Further, I know that GOAL is probably not as well funded as the NRA. However, if you look at the ratings that GOAL has given the legislators in this state, it looks as though there are close to 50% who are for legal gun ownership.

Additionally, GOAL should have enough of a PR pull to be stating the facts in EVERY gun article mentioned in the papers, on the radio, or on TV. They should be THE source!

I know that many of us are GOAL members (as am I), so at the risk of inflaming this board, I think GOAL does a piss-poor jor of defending and advocating for the rights of gun owners in this state.

The enactment of Chapter 150 of the Acts of 2004 indicates otherwise. The fact that GOAL holds a seat on the GCAB is further proof. The willful ignorance and appalling inertia of many (most?) Mass. gun owners cripples GOAL's ability to do more, especially given its small staff.

Additionally, GOAL should have enough of a PR pull to be stating the facts in EVERY gun article mentioned in the papers, on the radio, or on TV. They [sic] should be THE source!

Indeed it should. Sometimes, a GOAL rep is actually quoted - halfway down and after 3 quotes from the MillionMoronMommy brigade. That's MSM bias more than GOAL's failure.

Under an objective cost-benefit analysis, I think GOAL's performance in this negative environment is, overall, quite good. Hence my upgrading my membership level - again.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I sometimes get frustrated with GOAL, I also realize it's not really their fault. As Scriv pointed out, their comments are usually burried in any article, or they aren't asked at all. If they release a press article, who knows if it gets printed. or, printed where it needs to be printed, like, say, the Boston Glob (yeah, right...).

GOAL's job is like shoveling youknowwhat against the tide. Sometimes the tide is just too damn high to do much good, but they still shovel.

For those who will say that it's VERY difficult in MA to advocate a pro-gun position, I know it is. Further, I know that GOAL is probably not as well funded as the NRA. However, if you look at the ratings that GOAL has given the legislators in this state, it looks as though there are close to 50% who are for legal gun ownership.

Yeah, but when you have f*ckwits like Jarret Barrios being on the
public safety committee in senate, it's pretty hard to introduce pro gun
bills... especially when that anti-gun other 50% is actively trying to shoot
them down or tank the bill so it doesn't go anywhere. The other problem is even when you can introduce bills (eg the target guns bill thing) it's very
difficult to keep the lard off the bill if you want it to pass. (EG, that bill
got a big part of its sack cut off on the single action revolvers thing being
hacked off before it got voted on.... )

I'm actually pretty -IMPRESSED- with what GOAL has been able to do... one
would think in MA that they wouldn't be able to accomplish anything at
all. Pulling off the licensing reform thing was a major win, given the
circumstances. The fact that there is an organization that tries to do
something in MA is admirable in and of itself. Most people would have
just thrown in the towel a long time ago on this state.

One thing you're probably forgetting. GOAL has only the support of
what amounts to a "minority of a minority". EG, Say concievably there
are 250K gun owners in MA. Of that number, theres probably only
like 10% that really care about gun rights. Then theres a small pecentage
of THAT number that are actually GOAL members. So given the minute
proportional size of the organization, I think they're doing good given
the circumstances. Hell, I'd venture a guess that there are more NRA
members in MA than there are GOAL members. That explains a large
part of the problem....

-Mike

Always keep in mind that the way legislatures and congress work is as follows:

- It is NOT a democracy,
- The chairman gets FINAL SAY on whether a bill proceeds or dies,
- The chairman gets FINAL SAY on when a bill is taken up or if it is let to languish and die.

Given the above and the anti-gun chairs of the Committee on Public Safety, it is absolutely amazing that any good bills can get thru and passed on our behalf. It's a lot more difficult for GOAL than shoveling shit against the tide.

One thing you're probably forgetting. GOAL has only the support of
what amounts to a "minority of a minority". EG, Say concievably there
are 250K gun owners in MA. Of that number, theres probably only
like 10% that really care about gun rights. Then theres a small pecentage
of THAT number that are actually GOAL members. So given the minute
proportional size of the organization, I think they're doing good given
the circumstances. Hell, I'd venture a guess that there are more NRA
members in MA than there are GOAL members. That explains a large
part of the problem....

-Mike

Yes, there are more NRA members than GOAL members. It would be nice if the NRA sent out a card to all their MA members to suggest they join GOAL and tell them about all the work they've done and accomplished. <sigh> Wish in one hand....

Speaking of those that really care about gun rights.... I had a phone call yesterday from a gentleman who only wants an FID (he's a hunter, and yes, believe it or not, he just found out his FID (the ol' $2.oo, good for life one) is no longer valid. I explained the differences in the licenses to him. I explained that if his rifle/shotgun can accept a large cap mag that he can't have it on his FID, nor can he purchase one if it can accept a large cap, etc.e tc. etc. To shorten the story, I suggested he get a Class A. He wouldn't even consider it. "Absolutely not. Hand guns are bad." Heaven help me...... [rolleyes]

I had a phone call yesterday from a gentleman who only wants an FID (he's a hunter, and yes, believe it or not, he just found out his FID (the ol' $2.oo, good for life one) is no longer valid. ....To shorten the story, I suggested he get a Class A. He wouldn't even consider it. "Absolutely not. Hand guns are bad." Heaven help me...... [rolleyes]

Sounds typical of the calls I got from that type for years after c. 180, both as to the caller's utter ignorance and the readiness to whore out everyone else's rights. Scratch a hunter; find and anti-gunner. [flame]

Back
Top Bottom