• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yes, another shotgun thread.

1903Collector

NES Member
I'm in the market for a semi-auto, 12ga, SHTF/SD/tacticool. Knowing there is a big difference in price between them I have looked at the Bennelli M4, Beretta 1301, and Mossy 930, what else should I be looking at? Would love an M4 but they are pricey, the beretta seems to be between the m4 and 930 in price. There are also all these Turkish guns around now but I have not heard any feedback on them. Really want to stay in the $1000 to $1500 range too. In 30 years of owning firearms this will be my 2nd semi auto scatter gun, I had a Winchester 1400 25 years ago when I tried Pheasant hunting.

Imho, stay far far far away from the Turkish shotguns and the black aces shotguns (lve read lots of bad reviews, including many comments about crap customer service)

Example, i saw a Turkish 12g semi auto just this past weekend at a lgs and already knew to steer clear.

I picked it up just to look at the fit & finish and noticed the front sight was completely misaligned from the rear sight. Showed the wife & she concurred (always nice to go gun browsing together)

Imho, aside from the upper tier semi auto shotguns, a good price point deal can be found with the mossberg 930 (picked one up for the wife earlier this years and it's been an awesome shooter all around with a very decent amount of performance and competition oriented upgrade accessories available).

Last edited:
I really wanted a 930 for a self-defense shotgun because the tang mounted safety (like the 500/590) really favors lefties like me.
Unfortunately, the one I got would not run reliably with bird, buck or slugs.
After some rooting around on the interwebz, this seems to be a common occurrence.
Sold it.

Mossberg 930 right side.jpg

My 1301 runs like a sewing machine with all types and brands of shotgun ammo.
The 1301 safety is reversible, and I tried that, but eventually decided to adapt the manipulations and trained through the right-handed safety.

1301 camo picture right side.jpg

The Benelli Field 21 looks to be a 3+1. While that’s more than enough lead to solve most problems, since OP is looking for an “HD/SHTF/Tacticool” shottie, more capacity may be warranted?

I had been after a 930 myself as it seemed like the best bang for buck option, but I’m interested in what other recommendations pop up.

The Benelli Field 21 looks to be a 3+1. While that’s more than enough lead to solve most problems, since OP is looking for an “HD/SHTF/Tacticool” shottie, more capacity may be warranted?

I had been after a 930 myself as it seemed like the best bang for buck option, but I’m interested in what other recommendations pop up.
Yea for the price the 1301 seems to be ready out of the box and kind of where I'm leaning so far, Someone told me Benelli is owned by Beretta now, is that true? Are they just using Benelli designs and slapping the Beretta name on them? Another reason I want a semi is I want something a little gentler on these arthritic shoulders, The pumps are really doing a job on them.

Last edited:
I really like my 930 jm. It’s been reliable with everything other than light target loads. The piston does like to be clean which I’m ok with since it’s a comp gun not shtf rig. My goal this year is to get a 1301.

If you’re a lefty, a Mossy is the way to go 100% and there really isn’t any other option. Why try to finger-bang a traditional safety on the trigger guard, if you want it for your yacticool HD gun?

I’m a lefty as well, and previously had an import HK Fabrum semi-auto. It was a nice shotgun except for having to mess with the safety with my support hand or release my master grip and reach under the trigger guard and disengage with my middle finger. Nope.

You can make a 930 more reliable for low-brass and low-recoil if you upgrade the internals with performance parts from OR3Gun. The customizations make it eat anything now. The new 940 has factory internals that are much like the 3-Gun customizations, although I’ve never shot one.

I originally had similar reservations about feeding various shells like you, so I also picked up a more traditional pump, as they are less likely to experience malfunctions. My most recent addition to the collection is a Shockwave for its shorter length and ease of (LARPing) maneuverability around corners. Of course, you can always go retro with no safety and slam-fire your sword mounted shotty. If you want a modern combat shotgun, I’d suggest the 590A1, for semi-auto the 930 with upgrades.

590A1 SPX:
CD04B72A-24E4-471F-B25F-54FB5A1AE7E2.jpeg
930 SPX with OR3Gun Internals:
BD963DB0-3280-4E6E-A5F1-6DE254C50D1B.jpeg
Shockwave with OPSol Minishell Adapter:
2BEECCE5-5BE5-46DB-87F6-E793AE243692.jpeg
Winchester 1897 in Trench Gun Configuration:
063CCBCB-0C67-4848-9FD4-E4D18D5D178F.jpeg

I was looking for an M4 but could only find a 1301 competition . I was pleasantly surprised. I like the ribbed barrel. I like using the mid bead sights. 24" barrel is not as bad a I thought. It allows for a really nice tube extension and longer barrel makes it more fun to shoot at the range. There is also a removable choke.

SHTF/SD/tacticool
if just that - any boom stick will do, shotguns are highly specialized things but for tactical shooting - any cheap pump will shoot in a same way as a semi-auto.

1301 is good for a 3gun and even with that - 1301 comes in many variants. i have one - a 24" comp with a 10 shells mag extender and find it mostly boring, but, i had it for a while and shoot it, well, almost never. mostly i regret i did not buy a better quality 2 barrel trap gun, i think it would see more action. it is a fine shotgun, still, a very good shotgun, but, well. an a400 is better.
but now as i already have 1301 comp and do not want to sell it - it makes no sense to buy a $xK trap gun to be collecting dust next to it.

an only moral here, if any - before committing to a specific shotgun - figure out what is it you may like to do with it, other than just taking a spot in the safe waiting for a potential SHTF.

I’ve used a Nordic Components.
here as well.

i have their extender for 1301, it is fine. as well as their chokes.

I have a Mossberg JMPRO 930, (primarily for 3gun), with some OR3GUN options. It ran fine for a while, then started failing badly. Failure to feed, failure to extract. Really frustrating. I had two gunsmiths look at it, one in SC, one in GA - both reputable - neither could get it to run. Sent it to Mossberg and they turned it around really quickly and it's been excellent ever since.

I also have a Mossberg 500 pump with a pistol grip. That's my "goto" shotgun in crisis. I trust it more than the 930.

I almost went with the beretta 1301 but landed on the Benelli M2. No complaints. Yeah a bit pricer. I use it for 3 gun.

If my understanding of the MAAWB is correct if I had say a 1301 and put non-collapsible pistol grip stock on it I would be ok because it only has a five round tube? If I put a mag extension on then I would have to go back to a traditional stock correct?

Back
Top Bottom