Yellowstone Park

MassPete

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, Jetblue just announced non-stop service from Boston to Bozeman, MT starting in June. My wife and I decided to check that box off the bucket list and just booked it. Rented an RV for a week and now I'm looking at the CCW laws for Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Wondering if any of you have experience carrying in the park. Looks like open carry only in Wyoming. I do have my New Hampshire permit as a non resident from Massachusetts. Does that satisfy the requirement for concealed carry? Thanks guys...

Also, If you've done the trip in the past, would love some advice. Never been there. Thanks...

Non-residents must have a permit/license from a state recognized by Wyoming to carry a concealed firearm in a vehicle. Any person who can legally possess a firearm is allowed to open carry a loaded handgun inside a vehicle as long as it is visible.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Obama changed the law in favor of having assembled guns in national parks in a good way.

Yellowstone is huge.

Make camping reservations as soon as you can, might even be too late for a June trip..But you can camp/park outside the park in W. Yelllowstone. Seriously, make reservations now for inside the park if you can.

If you go to every single highlight/stop/attraction in the park and maybe spend 30 min at each one, it will take about 6 days lol

Definitely bring a spotting scope, buy one and return it from Amazon if you have to, but definitely get one with a tripod and window mount. Bino's are good for spotting. You must do this, trust me..Get a really good one like Swarovski.

I would take a day and go to Glacier NP as well, Going To The Sun Road is awesome.

It can snow at any time, I got snowed on backpacking in late August.

If you can get to Banff and Lake Louise in Canada go there, it's beautiful as well.

Coronavirus might calm the Chinese down a bit and be a little less crowded.

Don't pet the bison.

Have fun, Yellowstone is awesome.

MassPete

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Make camping reservations as soon as you can, might even be too late for a June trip..But you can camp/park outside the park in W. Yelllowstone. Seriously, make reservations now for inside the park if you can.

Have fun, Yellowstone is awesome.

WOW!! Everything is sold out. I was able to get 1 night in the park at Grant Campground. Sucks... Thanks for the tip.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I lived in Wyoming for several years.

The lookie-loos from other states at Yellowstone? I don't know about them. But no genuine Wyomingite is going to give the faintest whiff of a rat's ass if you're carrying, open or concealed. I'd imagine Montana is the same way, though I don't really know.

I bought my first handgun there, and the dealer just assumed I wanted a holster too.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Second Greg's recommendations. Make as many reservations now as you can. Expect it to be busy, very busy.
I was there for 1 cool, gray mid-week day back in mid-September, visiting my son who works in West Yellowstone, and even then there were a lot of people. Parking wasn't horrible, but not great either, and the roads were pretty busy. The tour buses were still very evident.
Firehole BBQ is West Yellowstone is really good. If you're into hiking, there are some good hikes outside the park around West Yellowstone.
Go down to Grand Tetons if you get the chance. Impressive mountain views.
Enjoy

MassPete

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tent sites are available but we have a 30 foot RV. Thinking of bringing my dome tent but would have to convince the wife... We've had several run ins with bears in New Hampshire and Alaska while tent camping so I doubt she'll go for that.

Reactions: TLB

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Be ready for any kind of weather. I was there in June on one of my trips. The days were close to 90, and the nights would dip below freezing. Highly recommend seeing the Grand Tetons, and Glacier National Park. As Greg said Yellowstone is huge and you can spend days seeing something different every day. I second the "must do" of bringing some decent optics. The wildlife is awesome and can be at quite a distance.

Good to know about the flight into Bozeman. I was planning a trip starting with flying into Denver, renting a vehicle and hitting Yellowstone/Tetons then Glacier NP, then Lake Louise/Banff, over to Vancouver, down the coast highway to somewhere in CA., then driving through as many Parks as we can before driving back to Denver for the flight home. I may consider starting in Bozeman and get some fly fishing in the area.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It was the other side of Wyoming from Yellowstone, but my Guard unit was doing AT once near Wheatland and it snowed.

On July 4th.

jdgill

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tent sites are available but we have a 30 foot RV. Thinking of bringing my dome tent but would have to convince the wife... We've had several run ins with bears in New Hampshire and Alaska while tent camping so I doubt she'll go for that.
Yeah, bears. A couple IIRC of campground would only allow hard side campers, no pop-up or hybrid because of bear activity.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Good to know about the flight into Bozeman. I was planning a trip starting with flying into Denver, renting a vehicle and hitting Yellowstone/Tetons then Glacier NP, then Lake Louise/Banff, over to Vancouver, down the coast highway to somewhere in CA., then driving through as many Parks as we can before driving back to Denver for the flight home. I may consider starting in Bozeman and get some fly fishing in the area.
That trip sounds awesome !

Reactions: jek

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
There's other Yellowstone threads with lots of good info about the park. I won't repeat what I said but will add that we rented a Nikon Spotting scope and wouldn't do it again, it's just a lot of work and money ($120?) and while useful for watching wolves, there's so much to see you can miss stuff while glued to the scope. I'd bring good binos and if you're a photographer rent a 400 or 500mm lens.

but we went in mid May when the park is empty and there's wildlife everywhere and no crowds of cars to tell you something is there. Scope might be more useful when it's crowded, but I've no desire to visit when there's traffic.

n1bsbri

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's other Yellowstone threads with lots of good info about the park. I won't repeat what I said but will add that we rented a Nikon Spotting scope and wouldn't do it again, it's just a lot of work and money ($120?) and while useful for watching wolves, there's so much to see you can miss stuff while glued to the scope. I'd bring good binos and if you're a photographer rent a 400 or 500mm lens.

but we went in mid May when the park is empty and there's wildlife everywhere and no crowds of cars to tell you something is there. Scope might be more useful when it's crowded, but I've no desire to visit when there's traffic.
I would also add that if you want to see the wildlife, be out at Lamar Valley before sunrise. The show's over by 8AM.

ETA - except of course for the bison. Those damn things are all over the place. 😄

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would also add that if you want to see the wildlife, be out at Lamar Valley before sunrise. The show's over by 8AM.
I think that's very dependent on when you go. In May you see wildlife all day long cause it's cold 30-50 typically. 6-8 (and 6-7 pm) is still better but you see plenty all day. In early June I think its also true but once it gets warm yeah, you gotta go early.

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
WOW!! Everything is sold out. I was able to get 1 night in the park at Grant Campground. Sucks... Thanks for the tip.
After your one night in the park head northeast and stay in Custer Gallatin. Same as Yellowstone. -1 million of your closest friends. Bring powerful glass. The beartooth highway is amazing. Visit red Lodge, great town. Back country camping was the best thing we did in Yellowstone, if you can. You’ll need to take a bear safety class and get a permit. Once you’re away from the pavement it’s a different world. We saw elk moose grizzlies you name it. The Lamar valley is also a great, but the first grasshopper that crosses the road and there’s a traffic jam to look at it. I preferred staying outside of the park. Bring a real camera.

Last edited:

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
9E493115-FD27-4DC0-A851-D133A0BBF4E3.jpegD3732084-03BB-4862-BC15-17150EFEEA3A.jpegA20AC2AC-6B7A-4311-8E12-5EF72564691C.jpeg22FC4942-28D2-4EF2-B7D7-B21984B7147D.jpegBBC462D5-2D10-4D11-BA16-B4938B7DC592.jpegThis was a great spot to hike in and explore. Big open meadows great for glassing. With a stream running through

Shire Guy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did Grand Teton/Yellowstone in June. Campgrounds in park sold out months in advance. Check campgrounds, or boondock in National Forest. Snowed out of Yellowstone for a day, spent the extra time in Grand Teton NP, absolutely a must see.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here's some pictures from my visit in early September:
Grand Prismatic Spring
1581896614248.png
Fairy Falls
1581896684564.png
Castle Geyser
1581896719309.png
Old Faithful
1581896777004.png
Steamboat Geyser