1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Yeah, Real ID is a waste of time

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by weekendracer, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Not Real-ID. I'm due for an in-person anyhow. I've renewed online at least once and possibly twice.

Not a stalker - I concur.

My wife's B-dya was yesterday. It took until then to get everything. (She couldn't find her SS Card so had to get another one. . . using her DL and BS for proof for SSI. . . . this is a circle jerk! LOL)

The hardest part for her was something proving residency. All bills come through me. She's a stay-at-home mom with no W-2 or 1099 in her name only. (We're a bit of a 1960's family, I guess.). Finally realized her art studio electric bill came to our house. WHEW! Otherwise, we were sorta stumped. I'm sure there are people who wouldn't have all the info these days. ?????

2. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

I know and I tried. But, I have a CDL and AAA couldn't process those, so was forced to show my face at the RMV :(

3. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Can you get into a Federal building with a passport, or is Real ID going to be the only magic card that grants entry into those hallowed places?

AHM likes this.
  4. atmay

atmay

Passports will continue to be acceptable forms of ID at all federal installations.

Brewer, drgrant and The5thDentist like this.
  5. jpk

jpk

as well as airports for TSA shenanigans etc etc etc.....

The5thDentist likes this.
  6. robjax

robjax NES Member

they are only doing this so they can issue Mass DL's to illegals and so they cannot use the ID to fly around the country. So with the DL they can't fly but they can most certainly drive. So rather than enforcing laws and getting rid of illegals they figured they'd put us sheep through this BS.

7. rogzballz

rogzballz NES Member

Can't illegals get free school ID's ?!?! Just thinking of a loophole here ...

I got my DL renewed a month before the Real-ID b.s. happened ... i'll just wait 5 years for them to work out the kinks ...

8. robjax

robjax NES Member

In Mass I do not think there is anything that illegals cannot get from the criminal government element that is currently in place...

9. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

Deported.

Brewer, AHM, Picton and 4 others like this.
  10. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

This act brought to you by Republicans. Republican POTUS and Republican Congress.

Since I don't drive, I don't have a driver's license and many places don't even take a state ID. So, for work, I had to get my passport to travel overseas. As part of that, I got my land border crossing card. That is automatically better than any REAL-ID BS.

11. robjax

robjax NES Member

touche' that would be the one thing. that and being convicted of any crime of rape or murder. They can freely do that as well.

12. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Same here, went to the Franklin AAA office with the everything and was done in 5 minutes, of course the picture is horrible but who cares.

13. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

It's made things worse at the Watertown branch, I'm at that mall at least once a week and there were times
    the line ran from the registry down past where 'Old Country Buffet' used to be, and then wind around the corner
    to the rear entrance to the mall. I'm talking about at least 60-80 people just waiting to get through the registry
    doors.

Their solution... tripling their floor space by taking over a sizable portion of the mall, meaning 3 retail
    spaces including a 'Papa Gino's'. Even if they hire enough people to handle the workload, have enough
    windows open, they'll still manage to f*** it up somehow.

14. gscott

gscott NES Member

My wife renewed her license yesterday and couldn't do the real ID. Something wrong with one of her forms of ID I guess . She came out mumbling about the state giving licenses to dead people but I've worked and paid taxes all these years and they give me a hard time

15. yanquidog

yanquidog NES Member

Just in RMV last week in Yarmouth.
    They turned the guy ahead of me away because his birth certificate did not have a raised seal on it...

16. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Just wait, it won't take long and I expect to read/hear stories of illegals being issued "real-ID" in MA by the RMV.

True, except getting into any legal trouble.

17. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I wonder about he following:

- Can one get a "real-ID" with a birth certificate with a different name (married woman)?
    - Same question with a SS card with birth name?

At any rate, we don't fly anymore, our passports expired years ago and have no intention of ever renewing them.

No plans on ever visiting any Federal building again unless "invited" by IRS for another audit.

After we move to NH, I'll consider whether to do the "real-ID" or just get regular DLs up there.

18. robjax

robjax NES Member

Of this I have no doubt.

Didn't an illegal in SF kill a young woman with a gun and nothing happened to him? This was a while back...

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

It's like making Rt 3 3 lanes from Burlington to the border. That's all great and all, but it's still a cluster-bleep as soon as you hit 128.

For that matter, the Central Artery is nice and wide and the SE Expressway is STILL the same width it was in 1985.

Suffice to say - the likelihood of them hiring the workers is near nil. I'm betting RENEWING a RealID is gonna be a snap in comparison. This is a 5-year disappearing problem for the Rejectory.

20. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Does anyone know how this keeps happening? If you ask a town hall for a birth certificate, one with a raised seal is normally what they give you. I didn't know there was a second option.

21. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I would assume the marriage certificate (with raised seal etc.) would solve that, or whatever else demonstrates a name change (I guess it can vary between states). Although I have not confirmed with my wife that this will work... it's not a problem in NH until/unless they change to real ID only. We have passports and passport cards, so we don't care.

22. friscoeast

friscoeast NES Member

Went to AAA in Westwood today to get my Real ID license. 1 hour wait but not too bad. People who work there are friendly and helpful. They make sure you have all the docs you need prior to getting to the counter. I used my MA license and MA Firearms card, a W-2 and Passport. I also used my DD-214 to get VETERAN added to new license. They give you a temp license that is good for a month. Should get new license in couple weeks. While there I got my Passport photo to renew my Passport too!

23. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

You can always call the utility company and ask her to add her to the billing address.

I have done it before for a person that lived with me, but was going to school so I was paying for everything. The house was under my name and all bills were under my name.

I offered to bring all the junk mail we got with her name, lol...they said NO. But somehow the utility bill with her name added by me over the phone was good. :/

I could have easily photoshopped her name on the online bill and print that.

24. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Lol so the 40 something dems in the house that voted for it are just figments of our collective imagination? This Real-ID shit is populist windiw licker "wanna feel sayyyyyfe" garbage like the Patriot act that would, sadly, pass regardless of who is in power. You're smart enough to know that most of the dems that voted against it did that because bush-pouting, right? They voted against it knowing it would still pass. It's risk free political posturing. We've all seen this movie before.

Same thing would have happened under Obama, just invert it a bit.

-Mike

25. AHM

AHM NES Member

The Bride applied for a Real-ID at the Worcester registry.
    They rejected her perfectly valid credit card,
    but accepted cash as payment and gave her a receipt.

A couple of weeks later a letter arrives out of nowhere stating that her driver's license has been canceled for non-payment, if she drives she'll be subject to arrest, and it will cost $200-$1200 (depending on how they feel that day) to restore her license if she qualifies. I considered asking at the local police station, but decided that was not Massprudent because there was a 5% chance that would get us SWATted (thank you, NES!). I discovered you can check your license status online. Her status was, "of course it's valid - it always has been".

[​IMG]

Another week later we get a followup letter:
    "Never mind".

26. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    I had to renew my license in RI yesterday and Real ID isn't ready. I was told it would be in December and I'll have to pay another $26 to "upgrade".

27. omega42

omega42 NES Member

When I got my SS card laminating was recommended to preserve it. Ironic.

Because I object to the states being co-opted / coerced into creating a backdoor national ID. A couple of years ago on a flight I was seated next to a vacationing Ukrainian who asked if we had internal passports. I said no but probably should have said it's being introduced.

28. yanquidog

yanquidog NES Member

Told me $25 today in. MA

29. Qwikdraw45

Qwikdraw45

Which is OK, as long as you are not leasing it. They put the leasor's address on the registration.

REAL ID seems stupid, anyway. Down south for a few months (so I am a resident) but keeping our NH DL and Veh. Reg. since we are only here part-time residents. Went to see about buying a firearm. Can use NH DL, but need GOV'T document for residence. No water bill, since it's included. Got a GOV'T letter with address, which will work. The stupid thing about all of it is: If I got an FL DL, my NH DL would not be accepted as any form of ID towards it (even though I had to use a birth certificate and SS card to get it). However, I could use a BC and SS card (even though no photo on them), and two pieces of mail from ANYONE to get a Florida DL - which would then allow me to buy a firearm as a resident. Stupid, stupid system.