Yeah. I bet the po po will protect my 2nd amend rights……

Remember way back when when the pols would insist it wouldn't be used against it's own citizens
i do remember quite well how adamant whole society was as well in the effort to bypass the law to punish those damn arab terrorists.
and do remember how most inside of the immigrant community was saying - yep, the gulag had come. history rarely does anything brand new, it all goes and evolves in a spiral.

I worked at a place 20 years ago. Property maintenance, low income buildings. Owners used grant money tied to post 9/11 security bs to install security cameras. Cranky old maintenance guy right off the bat was like "F*ck that, they'll be watching every move you make. Why'd this take so long? Where is this guy? Why is he here and not there?", etc. Most of the rest of the crew spent more than half their time repairing vandalism and picking up endless trash that was dumped all over the place so they welcomed the cams and told the guy to STFU.

Flash forward 20 years...Door gets ripped open? "Go fix it". Trash dumped somewhere? "go get rid of it". Someone's car gets broken into? Maybe someone can be bothered to look into it if they feel they have some spare time. If not? Too bad. But...they'll take the time to watch this guy because they don't feel like he's productive enough and they track when that other guy gets to his assignment and when he leaves, etc.

In both cases, (Patriot Act and the camera install), the people had no say, it was gonna happen. In both cases it was sold as a benefit to the people (citizens/maintenance crew). In both cases it didn't take long for the tables to be turned against them. TPTB don't GAF about the original reason why things were put in place but they will use the tools handed to them to build a case against the people it was allegedly supposed to help.

Why do we always make the assumption that every old lady is sweet? She could have been a world class A-hole.

Pay your bill you old bat.

This is like the clickbait stories "WW2 vet fined by HOA for flying flag" - then you read the dumbass signed the agreement and now he's being a cantankerous dickwad.
It will be the same guys coming to your door when some Lib judge signs that baseless red flag order.

it was one of huge surprises for me when i came to this country. one of things i would always bring up to the 'land of the free' angle of the conversation. :)
but, it is what it is. next will be a tax for breathing the air. the 'clean air act', or whatever they will bring - with measuring lung capacity to establish the amount.
Maryland was taxing people on the amount of rain that fell on their property .
We're not far off from the air tax.

First question i would ask is how many outstanding warrents are there in that city for violent offenders that no one bothered to follow up on?
If it's more than zero , f*ck all of them.

When I moved to my current town, there were two trash pick-ups per week, as much as you needed to get rid of.

There was also a suck-truck in the fall - rake your leaves to the edge of the property at the street, and voila! it's taken care of by the town.

Then, one day of trash pickup

Then, no more suck truck

Then, new city-issued barrels, one for recycling, one for trash ( different sizes, depending upon how many people live there), and that's it. Hell, if you take your own trash to the town transfer station, they still limit you.

As noted above, it's the creep, creep of less for more.

Back
Top Bottom