YARP

Yet Another Restoration Project...

Sheesh, just couldn't resist for $200.

Ruaaian_Drag_SKS_001.jpg

It's a rescued Drag Queen Russian SKS, sans stock, original receiver cover and bayonet. The previous owner did it a little disservice, as the mag cover and the bolt carrier have some surface rust, but experience tells me that it will come right off with some oil and steel wool.

Ruaaian_Drag_SKS_002.jpg

Ruaaian_Drag_SKS_003.jpg

Fortunately the flash hider is just pinned on and not welded, so removal should be a cinch and a new bayo can be installed. The rest of the metal (all matching) was never cleaned of its cosmoline and is incredibly at 95 plus % blueing. I may never know the exact year of this Tula arsenaled gem in the rough without the original dated receiver cover, and the Russians reused their serial numbers, so the best guess is a '51 to '55.

Ruaaian_Drag_SKS_005.jpg

The Dragunov stock has got to go, so I'm now in search of a Russian stock, handguard and Tula stamped receiver cover. Anyone got a line on these?

Good to see someone restoring. Please post pics of your progress so others can be inspired to return these beauties back to their original state should they find one like you did.

The best part is that you can part out the stock, scope mount, and flash hider to get cash for original parts. [grin]

I've been looking for a Russian like that for a Polish SKS project. The Polish honor guard SKS rifles are basically Russian SKS types with unmarked receiver covers and beautifully laminated stocks that a seller often has for sale on gunboards, or gunbroker. The rifles are polished to an incredibly deep blue finish and almost chrome like shine on the bolt carrier and bayonet. I've got a post somewhere around here with pics and info, I think its in the build section.

Thanks Ev and Mil,

There's just something about tacticooling a fine piece of military engineering history that irks me. That being said, I did Tapco out my last rebuild that I made from a Yugo and a couple of Chinese parts guns and gave it to my son. I hope that he keeps his /26\ '67 Paratrooper original though!

I did put some feelers out on Survivor's SKS. Got a line on two stocks already (EXPENSIVE!). And wishing you luck on finding the right Russian for that Polish project, Milsurp. Sounds like a righteous endeavor!

Painfully slow on the progress. But I've now got a stock on the way, an unrefinished '51 Tula that looks cherry in the pics - $57. Found a package parts deal with an upper handguard, Russian bayo, '53 top cover and factory mag in good shape for $44.

I did some cleaning up with oil and steel wool - just waiting patiently for the USPS.

Ruaaian_Drag_SKS2_001.jpg

Ruaaian_Drag_SKS2_003.jpg

I found theres not much you can do for pitted blued parts but the mag well looks pretty good so far. Bolt carriers are great because you can hit them with a buffer and bring them to almost new condition.[grin]

Here's how she looks in Battle Dress.

russian_project_and_yugonese_bolt_006.jpg

russian_project_and_yugonese_bolt_010.jpg

russian_project_and_yugonese_bolt_013.jpg

The stock is a non-refurb '52 Tula that I purchased from an SKS Board member, near perfect. The bayo, '53 rear cover and handguard came in an AuctionArms parts package deal that nets me an extra factory mag, thirty round detachable and decent stripper clips. Handguard was an uncanny match, don't you think?

All totaled, I have just under $300 in the gun now, which I probably could have spent on an all matching Tula, but I would not have had the pleasure of YARP (yet another restoration project)!

Pics were taken in low light and don't really show the deep red arctic birch, but take my word on it - The Tula is now a beauty to behold!

Looks great! Rep points to you.

I'd lightly sand down the stock finish, blend with denatured alchol, and apply a thin coat of shellac to bring out the grain in the birch.

Then sell off the duckbill mag for a sling and cleaning rod. Bubbas pay $$ for those things. [wink]

Looks great! Rep points to you.

I'd lightly sand down the stock finish, blend with denatured alchol, and apply a thin coat of shellac to bring out the grain in the birch.

Then sell off the duckbill mag for a sling and cleaning rod. Bubbas pay $$ for those things. [wink]

Sad part of the story is that I have a cleaning rod and sling, and I was so excited about the furniture that I forgot to clip them on and in!

It's a tough call on whether to refinish or not.... but I'll probably do it someday. I have to come to grips that it's not my unissued Izzy that I'm working with. It's really just a shooter with matching numbers only where they count, so why not take a classic Curio and make it into a relished Relic.

If and when I do, I'll have to revive the thread. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom