• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

yaesu ssb transceiver ft-101e

zboys

NES Member
I don't know a thing about ham radios, I found what appears to be a new yaesu ssb transceiver ft-101e, in the box at an estate clean out, is it something I ought to look into.
Is there anything to look for? Is this a plug in and use type unit?

Here's the specs I could find on wikipedia:

• Range: 1.8-30 MHz (160/80/40/20/15/11/10 m) 160 m not covered on the Mk1 versions, 10.0-10.5 MHz (WWV receive only)
  • Modes: CW, USB, LSB, AM
  • Power Output: SSB 260 watts PEP DC In (130 watts out), CW 180 watts PEP DC In (90 watts out), AM 80 watts PEP DC In (40 watts out).
  • RX Sensitivity: Better than 0.3uV for 10 dB S/N
  • TX Freq Response: 300 – 2700 Hz
  • RX Freq Response: 300 – 2700 Hz Standard Yaesu SSB Filter, 600 Hz with Optional Yaesu CW Filter
  • Optional Filters: 300 – 1800 Hz SSB Narrow(Fox Tango Filter), 250 Hz CW Narrow (Fox Tango or SMC Filter)
  • Audio Output: 3 watts
  • AC Power: 110-240 V Rx 45 W, Tx 350 W
  • DC Power: 13.5 V Rx 0.6 A, Tx 21 A
  • Weight: 33 pounds (15 kg)
  • Size: 13 1⁄2 by 6 by 11 1⁄2 inches (340 mm × 150 mm × 290 mm)
That's a pretty powerful transmitter and will need a really good antenna to go with it.

That radio would be at least 30 years old. Back in the day it was a popular radio and solid performer. While there are still fans many consider the tube/crystal radios to be boat anchors. Even if it looks new I would hesitate to plug it in and turn it on without first a close inspection. Capacitors degrade over time and the usual practice is to use a variac to bring the voltage up slowly.

That radio would be at least 30 years old. Back in the day it was a popular radio and solid performer. While there are still fans many consider the tube/crystal radios to be boat anchors. Even if it looks new I would hesitate to plug it in and turn it on without first a close inspection. Capacitors degrade over time and the usual practice is to use a variac to bring the voltage up slowly.

What He Said!

I don't know a thing about ham radios, I found what appears to be a new yaesu ssb transceiver ft-101e, in the box at an estate clean out, is it something I ought to look into.
Is there anything to look for? Is this a plug in and use type unit?

I worked for a ham radio dealer back in the 1970s. What I can tell you is the FT-101 series of transceivers was the most popular transceiver we sold for a few years. It was a lot of radio in one box. CBers used them on the CB band (11 meters) by cutting a wire inside!

Plug in and use right out of the box...? I don't know that I'd do that. Get a Variac and bring the voltage up slowly like breslau said. The power supply is inside the unit and those filter caps might go boom.

The FT101e is great radio for what it is but it uses tube finals which means you will need to learn how to tune it into a load (antenna) if you’re going to transmit with it. It’s not hard to learn but having someone experienced to show you how would help immensely. They were very popular in the late 70s & 80s.

As has been mentioned, if it’s sat in a box for 30+ years, you’ll want to bring power up slowly using a variac.

I’ve seen a couple of these at the MIT HAM radio garage sale and the Boxboro convention. They are popular vintage radios you might be able to get some decent cash for it assuming it’s still operational.

Back
Top Bottom