• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ya know...since they have dashboard cams and all...

Only a matter of time...

NYPD could carry guns fitted with cameras
New York police officers could carry mini-cameras on their guns under a proposal to bolster public confidence following a spate of controversial shootings.

By Tom Leonard in New York

2:53PM BST 13 May 2008

The device, whose introduction is gaining support among state politicians, would create a visual and audio recording of police shootings for use in court.

Officers would not be able to tamper with the five-ounce camera which works by shooting out a bright red laser light at whatever is in the gun barrel’s path within two seconds of the weapon being drawn. The camera would continue to operate for up to an hour.

The laser light could only be switched off if might expose the officer to danger in a dark area. The camera footage could also be used to identify suspects.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1952248/NYPD-could-carry-guns-fitted-with-cameras.html

Neat idea, not sure how practical/useful it is however. They may not be able to "tamper" with it, but I can bet you they could do whatever to destroy it and/or the recorded contents.

"Gee Mr. Internal Affairs, I'm not sure why the data seems corrupted/erased, maybe the camera malfunctioned? The giant magnet it my patrol bag? Oh i use that to hang targets at the range."

There are very few things in this world that are tamper proof.

~SW

As an optical device there is no such thing as tamper proof and personally mounted

"good video of your finger print officer"

Why place a camera where it can interfere with an officer's weapon and endanger his life when there are cameras that clip onto their chests already like another piece of gear?

If the day ever comes they stop killing people for reaching for their registration, then we can start trusting them again.... but so long as cops are still killing people for running from them, they will be babysat by Mr. Camera.

Back
Top Bottom