• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

XS Big Dot Sights

DavidC77

NES Life Member
NES Member
I just have to say XS Sights is a good company and if you can deal with them do so.

Awhile back I had found someone on another Forum, I was posting in a thread that someone started and they were asking about the XS Big Dot sights and how people liked them or not. I posted that I wanted to find a used set to see if I liked them or not. I figured if I found a good used set for short money I'd try them, if I didn't like them, OH well, I didn't have much money into them, if I liked them great.

A guy answered me that he had a good set that he had pulled off his M&P and for $35 he would ship them to me, he sent me photo's and in the photo's they looked good. Well I get the things and they are trashed, all banged up, all messed up from being installed incorrectly and the Tritium doesn't glow anylonger. I tryed to see if I could send them back to the guy, but, he told me they were sold "as is" and I was SOL.

I held onto them for awhile and had just tucked them aside, I found them again and decided to wright a nice letter to XS Sights telling them my story of how I was screwed, that I'm tight on money and is there anything that they can do for me. Well a week or so go's by and I don't hear anything, so I e-mail them and ask "What's up", I got an e-mail back saying they never received them, I had to send them the info about the USPS traking info, a few more days go by and nothing. I decided to call and they still couldn't find them, so a few more days go by and I call again, this time they found them, it was my bad, I didn't send them "ATTN: Customer Service".

I talked with the guy at XS Sights and he agreed that they were messed up but they felt that the Tritium was OK, it wasn't the strongest, but that it still had life in it.

I started telling him how screwed I was and that I couldn't really afford a new one and he agreed to sell me one at half price even though XS Sights concidered the sight OK, now this is were I got smart, I wanted two of them, one for each of my M&P's. I told him (very nicely / begging) that I really needed two of them and could he be real nice guy to me and sell me two of them, both at half price and he said OK.

So I ended up getting two at half price each.

I just want to say that XS Sights could have told me that I was SOL and that I was going to have to pay to have my junk sight sent back to me, but they didn't, they stepped up and warrentyed my sight and sold me two of them at half price when I had only sent them one sight.

So if you are thinking about any of the XS Sights, buy them, the company has a GREAT customer service department !!! Heck they stood behind a sight that I bought used and that they were saying still had life in it and not only that they sold me a second one at half price also.

Now that's VERY GOOD customer service if you ask me !!!

http://www.xssights.com/

[thumbsup]

Last edited:
Sounds like you did a fine job taking advantage of their good customer service.

Yes he did and then he got on the best gun board in the Northeast that has thousands of gun owners and railed about their GREAT customer service. Now those same folks reading this have clicked on their site and perused their products. Some even bookmarked the site. Some may have seen something they liked and placed an order. Those same people also visited other boards and told those boards about this guy on Northeastshooters.com said XS Sights is the balls and gave a link. Well you see where this is going don't you?

My FFL had a new G30SF with an XS front night sight last Saturday.

I'd like to say that Tuesday I went back and bought it but I was an hour two late.

[crying]

Remember when they were Ashley Big Dots?

While I have no personal experience with XS Big Dot sights, I would like to shoot a pistol equipped with them.

While I have no personal experience with XS Big Dot sights, I would like to shoot a pistol equipped with them.

I had them on my Kahr. Not a fan.

I'm glad to hear about the good customer service, though!

Yes he did and then he got on the best gun board in the Northeast that has thousands of gun owners and railed about their GREAT customer service. Now those same folks reading this have clicked on their site and perused their products. Some even bookmarked the site. Some may have seen something they liked and placed an order. Those same people also visited other boards and told those boards about this guy on Northeastshooters.com said XS Sights is the balls and gave a link. Well you see where this is going don't you?

AH I see where you are going with that, I never even thought of it that way, but it may be true. Because they took care of me they may have figured I'd do what I did and get more customers out of it, not a bad idea if that is what they did.

I don't really think so, I think they were just trying to help me out and to save face for losing my sight in their own building. Just amagin my post if they had lost it and said "Oh well, your SOL", that wouldn't have looked good [laugh] [smile] [laugh].

They're great until you go to try to shoot something that's more than like 30 feet away. Then you realize that the front is the size of a pie plate at 50 yards. [laugh]

-Mike

Care to share more info. I was actually considering some for my G36 so I would like to hear your impressions. PM me if you want.

ETA: They can't be any worse than the Glock factory sights [hmmm]

I'll let you guys know how I like them.

My eyes are not the greatest anylonger so I think they will help. I have read and seen real good things about them. It sounds like a lot of the Gunsite folks are using them by the adds and right ups in gun magazines.

I'm dropping my two M&P's off to Greg Derr on Saturday to have him do the trigger jobs on them and to install the sights for me. He said I should be able to pick them up the next Saturday. [thumbsup]

Once I get them back I'll take them to the range and try them out and get back to ya on how I like the sights.

.xssights.com/=testimonials

Last edited:
Care to share more info. I was actually considering some for my G36 so I would like to hear your impressions. PM me if you want.

ETA: They can't be any worse than the Glock factory sights [hmmm]

They're great until you go to try to shoot something that's more than like 30 feet away. Then you realize that the front is the size of a pie plate at 50 yards. [laugh]

-Mike

What Mike said. And, IMO, they ARE worse than the Glock factory sights.

For a pocket gun, they aren't exactly terrible. HUGE front sight to plop on your target. Other than that, though, the combination of a big front sight and express-style rear just has way too much slop built into it for anything beyond sneezing distance.

For comparison, I couldn't hit the limo 50yds away at the last car shoot with my Kahr (and XS big dots). OTOH, I was banging a 18x24 plate at 100yds with my 1911 (3-dots with no paint in them) with no problem. I've also had no problem hitting smaller plates with my Glock or XDm at 30-70 yards.

Here's a good demo video, shows him hitting at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards.

http://blutube.policeone.com/police-products-videos/931108287001-xssightsdemo/

Demo 2

Demo 3

You have to remember too that these sights are geared more for "self defence" , they can reach out but they are designed for the close in "OH SH&&, I need a gun quick" type of shooting.

That's what my two M&P's are, my carry gun (the compact) and my house / back-up carry gun (the fullsize).

Last edited:
Well I had a chance to shot my S&W M&P 40's today, the Full Size and the compact. I didn't have time to try the 1911.

I had Greg Derr put the XS Big Dot Sight on all 3 guns.

My eye sight isn't the greatest anylonger with my back problems (they don't want to go into repair with a 4th surgey). It leaves my eyes going real blury a lot when the nerve is pinched so I need a sight I can see easy. The XS BD fits the bill perfectly !!!

I went to one of my clubs that has a 50 foot indoor range, thinking that it was a nice day and I'd have it all to myself, it worked out, I did have it to myself.

I have to say that I love them, I can see the big dot with no trouble, I loved the place the dot on top of the line set up. I was punching holes like crazy with the Big Dot set up were I was having trouble with the novak 3 dot set up.

I put a lot of rounds through both guns and I am sold on the Big Dot sight and I'm looking forward to my next chance to get to the range to try out the 1911.

It was money well spent buying the XS BD Sight and I would highly recommend them.

Try them , you will like them.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

You have to remember too that these sights are geared more for "self defence" , they can reach out but they are designed for the close in "OH SH&&, I need a gun quick" type of shooting.
Point shooting at close in "OH SH%%, I need a gun qucik" distances works just as well and leaves you with better sights for making longer shots.

Point shooting at close in "OH SH%%, I need a gun qucik" distances works just as well and leaves you with better sights for making longer shots.

For me they didn't, I could never shoot the 3 dot set up well. At close in or at out there shots.

The Big Dot I can shot real good with and it is proven allready that they are good for distance also. I think I will shot better at distance now with the Big Dot over the 3 dot set up also.

I'm going to try and get to my other club and try them out on the 50 yard range, I'm sure I will shot just fine with these were I couldn't with the 3 dot.

One thing I found out today also is my lazer is matched up to my sight now with the Big Dot on the gun, it was never (for me) anywere close to my sight pitcher with the 3 dot on there. I would line up my 3 dot sight and the lazer was way off in another area of the target, now it is the same place (or darn close) as my Dot sight.

I know some people don't like the Big Dot and some people love the Big Dot, I'm a lover of them now and I think a lot of people would like them if they would just give them a fair shot.

Greg Derr told me that he is installing a bunch of the Big Dots as a front sight and a U shaped rear sight and that the folks love them that way also, I have read a lot of wright ups about that set up working real good also.

Again it comes down to "each their own" , for me it's the XS Big Dot set up now.

I can't shoot three dot sights well either, so I either blacken out the dots on the rear sight or replace the rear sight.

I'm a tall and skinny person. I practice turning sideways (that presents a very narrow target for a gun, and a narrow target for a knife thrust... not so good for a round house knife attack specially if they are a righty, which most are). The draw comes across my body, over my defending arm (which I use to fend off the knife attack) and I point shoot at close range (like really close). I really don't need sights for that. Outside of that range things change. I don't know if my tactics are worth a darn but they seem to work for me in training.

If I'm outside that close in range I usually "fall back" and produce as much gunfire as I can. Again that works for me.

Those sights are a sollution to a problem that doesnt exist. Up close at bad breath distance the majority of people wont use sights, they will extend touch and press. At distance or when you need a precision shot is when you will want sights. At the three day Rob pincus class in Westford several people had XS sights,by the end of day 1 all were going to be removing them.YMMV

Those sights are a sollution to a problem that doesnt exist.

I disagree. They aren't a solution to anything, they are just a different style of sight that some people prefer and some people don't. I haven't tried them myself yet, but I've heard from others that you can absolutely be just as accurate with them as with Novak style sights. I personally don't like how big they are, but I can see why some people with aging eyes would like them.

I disagree. They aren't a solution to anything, they are just a different style of sight that some people prefer and some people don't. I haven't tried them myself yet, but I've heard from others that you can absolutely be just as accurate with them as with Novak style sights. I personally don't like how big they are, but I can see why some people with aging eyes would like them.
I've tried the XS big dot. I've got aging eyes. I can't stand them.

I also don't like Novak style rear sights, or three-dot sights, but that's a different argument...

I say "to each their own".

As I said in my other post Greg Derr told me he is installing a bunch of them. It's just like guns or ammo, some like a 1911, some don't, some like 9 mm, some like 40 S&W. If we all liked the same thing what fun would that be, heck we wouldn't have anything to talk about if everybody used the same equipment [wink] [smile] [wink]

As far me, I like them, am I going to say it's the only sight that you should shoot, no. If you don't like them don't shoot them, if you like them then use them. What I don't like is someone that has never used them saying that they are junk. Or as someone added that at the end of day 1 everyone was going to remove them, if your going to make a statement like that, saying they are junk, back it up with why. Did Rob Pinkus not like them and he was pushing that on the class, do you know for sure those people removed them, why did they want to remove them ??? As I said if you make a statement back it up.

I am saying that I like them because they work for me, I'm only passing that on so if someone is intrested in trying them they will know they worked for me and that I have tryed them and that I like them. Do I get out and shoot everyday, no, I wish I did (or could afford to) but I can't do that. Maybe if I did regular novak 3 dot sights would be OK, but I don't think so. I have allways had trouble with 3 dot sights, they have never worked for me, these XS sights do work for me.

Yes they work for me, with my eye sight and the way I shoot a hand gun they work for me.

If you don't want to try them don't, if you have never tryed them don't chime in saying they are junk, those that have tryed them and don't like them I'm sorry you didn't and if you shoot the 3 dot better great.

I just wanted to put it out here that I tryed them and I like them, that the company treated me great (as in my 1st post) and that I (and not only me) have found them a great sight and that they work.

I have never been able to shoot a hand gun and hit the target as easy as I am able to do with the XS Big Dot sight, I was able to sight them in real easy and quickly, I was able to stay on target with them. I was never able to do that with a 3 dot sight.

So again if you want to try them, then yes, I think you will like them and I think you will like them if you have trouble with the regular 3 dot set up.

David

For my game 1911, simple black on black Dawson style target sights. The rear is adjustable with a fairly wide notch.

For my carry 1911, tritium front post and a plain black Heinie rear slant pro rear. I'd prefer to have the rear notch opened up a bit.

For my game revolver, stock rear ramp with an Apex Tactical target style rear blade - this looks almost identical to the 1911 Dawson rear sight blade. I've had the rear notch opened up to 0.140 in. I'll eventually have red ramp changed out, but I haven't decided how I want it changed.

The basics of my sights are the same. I want to focus on the front sight, so I want a simple rear sight. I don't want anything on the rear site that is visually busy and would attract my eye. So I don't want dots on the rear sight. I don't want fiber optics on the rear sight. I don't want a Novak rear sight with it's complex curvature. What I do want is a rear notch that is bigger, so I can see more light around the front sight post.

I've got a bunch of guns so I've tried a bunch of different styles of sights. I've tried them just plinking and in IDPA competition. For me, simpler is better.

Last edited:

Jose,

I cannot fault your logic there. I have a set of XS sights on my M&P .45 and I think for defensive (CQB) type work they are really great. Although, I have had formal training in point shooting, it is a skill that I am not totally comfortable with (unless you are talking distances at 3 feet or less) nor am I exceptionally proficient at. Since most gun-fighting with a pistol happens at distances of less than 7 yards, I feel comfortable with the set up that I have. However, this doesn't preclude the possibility of an armed encounter at a greater distance, and I would say that if you can proficiently point shoot out to say 10 yards or so, there might be better sighting options for you. I might be at a disadvantage with the XS big dot system at greater distances so IMO your point has great merit. I find that while I can hit COM at targets out to 20 yards (the farthest distance I have shot with XS sights due to the fact that is the farthest distance at the range where I shoot) I have to really aim slightly higher than COM for the bullet to land in COM.

I've reached the point now where I like a really big front sight given my age. (hate to admit it) one of my favorite guns is my S&W Model 22 Thunder Ranch variant that has the old S&W retro "half nickle" front sight, I love that sight ! I also liked the big front sight on the old, classic S&W M39 9mm.

Depending on your needs, philosophy and how well you see esp as you age, I think the XS big dot sight has a lot to offer, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:
I like them on my PM9. I keep a set of Trijicons in case I grow tired of them or sell the pistol to someone who would rather have them instead.

For my game 1911, simple black on black Dawson style target sights. The rear is adjustable with a fairly wide notch.

For my carry 1911, tritium front post and a plain black Heinie rear slant pro rear. I'd prefer to have the rear notch opened up a bit.

For my game revolver, stock rear ramp with an Apex Tactical target style rear blade - this looks almost identical to the 1911 Dawson rear sight blade. I've had the rear notch opened up to 0.140 in. I'll eventually have red ramp changed out, but I haven't decided how I want it changed.

The basics of my sights are the same. I want to focus on the front sight, so I want a simple rear sight. I don't want anything on the rear site that is visually busy and would attract my eye. So I don't want dots on the rear sight. I don't want fiber optics on the rear sight. I don't want a Novak rear sight with it's complex curvature. What I do want is a rear notch that is bigger, so I can see more light around the front sight post.

I've got a bunch of guns so I've tried a bunch of different styles of sights. I've tried them just plinking and in IDPA competition. For me, simpler is better.

AH Thanks. It sound like you like a rear set up that is kind of like the one that comes with the XS Big Dot. I to like that, the 2 dot or a real small opening just doesn't do it for me either.

If I hadn't gone with the XS BD I was looking at trying a Novak set up with their Ghost Dot or their Wide Notch http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html rear sight with a Gold Dot front sight or a Tritium Dot front sight. I'm glad that I went with the XS BD though as I really like that set up.

Thanks for the answer.

Back
Top Bottom