XM25 to be deployed

Wonderful....We're in the middle of a counter-insurgency war in a country with a corrupt government where the people just want to be left the F alone for the most part and the US military is going to saddle all the troops with a new piece of buck rogers equipment as their new battle rifle...

Did I miss something or did I just time travel back to 1965?

Its not an M4/M16 replacement, but something that would probably be handled by our assault men (the rocket/demo guys)... And I doubt we'll see anything like this for 10 years at least.

Mike

"He expects the Army to buy 12,500 of the XM25 rifles this year, enough for every member of the infantry and special forces."

What about this horse pucky? I assume a misunderstanding on the author's part?

I have seen this weapon demonstrated on one of the Gun shows on TV last season. Looks very effective to me. Several kinds of ammo available, like time delayed fuses and bee-hive type anti personnel rounds. The item is real, and in production.

Like Crazy Mike said though, God only knows when it will get to the guys who need it most.

Only downsides I see are the high round cost (for a single man's primary weapon) and the fact that the grenadier (for I see this replacing the M-4/M-203 combo) has no other weapon other than maybe a pistol. Perhaps this would be a good use for HK's MP7 PDW, as this soldier's holstered secondary weapon? It would probably serve this role better than a conventional pistol.

Does this put our Forces into "Open Division" or "Limited"? I don't see a comp nor is it a high cap.

There's no reason not to test it out in actual combat. It's an infantry support weapon, not a rifle replacement.

The way it has that plastic housing, they could put fake covers on M4's and confuse snipers.
Or maybe paint the flash-hider orange? [laugh]

This debate has reached the level of going "against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line..." [laugh]

Clearly we "can NOT drink the win in front of you!"

Wonderful....We're in the middle of a counter-insurgency war in a country with a corrupt government where the people just want to be left the F alone for the most part and the US military is going to saddle all the troops with a new piece of buck rogers equipment as their new battle rifle...

Did I miss something or did I just time travel back to 1965?

Yes, you missed the part where it solves a serious problem our combat troops have had in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

And no, it's not 1965 anymore. DoD learned that lesson very well. The way things work in this day and age, if it's going to be deployed then it's already been field tested to good effect.

Back
Top Bottom